Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest phillyfan

What would you do?

Guest phillyfan

I found myself in this posistion last year, and am seeking advice before any decision-making this year. What would you do if you made at least two different teams. First team, was Midget Major AA, but was horrible. (Players, coaches, ect.) Second team, maybe Midget Minor A, but a talented team, good work ethic, ect. Now, would you play on the team that will win, and has a good shot at the playoffs and at tournaments? Or would you play for the Major team, only to loose 90% of the games, but to say that you are playing at that level and to see how you compete with guys that have a few years on you. I have reason to do either, hence, the reason for me asking. I love to win, who doesn't, and a Minor team has a hell of a goalie, coach with a good rep, and looks quite solid. But, I wouldn't mind playing Major, to see how and/or if I can compete in a sort of league like that right now, but more than likely will have dropped Two G's to loose.

I would agree. I would play for the team that is going to win and that you are going to have a good time playing for.

I assume you will be a top player on the lower team and an average (or slightly better) player on the better team? I'd go for the good player on a good team thing every time. Scouts like people who contribute a lot on winning teams. The only reason I wouldn't do it, is if you expect to win 10-1 every game. That isn't much fun either.

I think if you want to be in the NHL. you should go for the higher up team. Iam only saying this because I played rep and i was in the top ten in scoring and I thought I was hot soup. I play on a AAA summer hockey team now and I still do good, But this weekend we went to a prospects camp, this camp had all Jr.A players and our midget AAA team. I learned alot of how I rank with people who are on a jr.A team and what I need to work on and the experiance. What Iam saying is, even if your team is crap, that doesnt mean every other team is crap and it could be good for the experiance and knowledge to play with the right competition. On the other hand, if your not going to have fun losing, go for the winning team. I have fun wether or not I win so that doesnt come into play with me. But if you dont have fun you wont want to go to the rink. It all depends on what you feel. If you can have fun and still lose though, I would go with the higher up team.

I'd play on the higher level team. It will be more of a challenge for you, and personally I like challenges like that. I'd get bored by playing at a level that was beneath me.

I'd play on the higher level team. It will be more of a challenge for you, and personally I like challenges like that. I'd get bored by playing at a level that was beneath me.

I completely agree. Plus, I find that if you play at a higher level, you will be forced to play better hockey then if you played at the worse level. I would go for the major team, and then play for a better team at the same level next year.

Guest phillyfan

Some good points for both sides, but as you can see, I have quite a decision with good points for either side. NHL? Dream, realisticly, I'll be happy if I play pro-hockey anywhere, that's a realistic goal I've set for myself, for the time being anyway. I'd definitley be one of top 3 in points for the Minor team, and better than mediocre on Major as I played a few games with them last season.

I would for sure go on the fun team because it sounds like that team is more organized, better coaches, ect. In high school we had the talent to go to states/nationals but we had terrible coaching and it was so unorganized. Needless to say it was'nt much fun. Me and a buddy were talking about it the other day about what we missed out on by not making the big games/tourneys. Thoes are the memories you will have later in life and even in the next few years.

Guest phillyfan

I'm leaning towards Minor now, I'll be able to get my points in a lot easier, and like you all said, it will be a hell of a lot better to play and have fun. Coach is a well-respected coach within the organization, and usually has a strong record. Only reason I wanted to play Major was to see if I can keep up with them, I know I can, hell, I can deke the winger, split the d, and score top shelf. (First Major goal last season in OT, awesome goal...) Back on topic, I still have 3 or 4 years to play Midgets, shouldn't rush, should have fun while I can. Even as I type this, I am leaning more and more towards Minor, feel free to add weight to the other end of the sea-saw if you would like, see whose feet hit the ground first...feet break, and debate is over.

I say play Major. It will make you a better player to play against better competition. However, you have to decide what you want out of this season. Do you want to have win or do you want to take a step toward your ultimate goal? Remember that in the future that coaches may not look favorably on a player who passed up a chance to be challenged at a higher level in favor of getting points at a lower level. That may be viewed as being a selfish player.

Guest phillyfan

Two good points, I may have each coach convince me either way as well, really am on the fence again.