Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jimmy

Composite Goal Sticks?

Just curious, with the composite player stick fad, have you goalies considered going composite? Those of you who have, what are your thoughts? In my experience, goalies tend to spend less on sticks overall. Most want the cheapest they can find.

Me personally, I use the CCM HS10 or Koho 590 and find they last about 6 mths to a year and are plenty light. I can't imagine a composite will improve performance that much better, especially for the $100 extra on the price tag.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
Just curious, with the composite player stick fad, have you goalies considered going composite? Those of you who have, what are your thoughts? In my experience, goalies tend to spend less on sticks overall. Most want the cheapest they can find.

Me personally, I use the CCM HS10 or Koho 590 and find they last about 6 mths to a year and are plenty light. I can't imagine a composite will improve performance that much better, especially for the $100 extra on the price tag.

I think your higher end AAA players will consider these composite graphite sticks, especially with the construction of the newer RBK foam cores.

I was really disappointed to see the lack of quality in the RBK sticks this year, as compared to the KOHO sticks of the past.

Every player that I had turned onto the composite graphite goal stick when I was at TPS loved the stick and used theirs for quite some time; some for more than 12 months in perfect shape! I know there are many people that have used Maltese sticks with the same stick "life."

Sure, you will get those that say "I used mine only 10 minutes and it broke", but, I think these experiences are very much the minority, especially when compared to player OPS, where that breakage experience averages in the 30+ percentile.

Justin Herman, a member on this board, can probably do a better review and comparison between wood and composite graphite sticks.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba

I'd like to add that I think the cost of $179+ USD Retail is fine for these sticks.

The TPS stick I know is one complete piece, no bondo or epoxy putting two pieces together, unlike 99% of the player OPS on the market. You should see the mold for that thing! One word: HUGE!

Tried the Maltese ... HATED it. :angry: It had no loft on the blade and it's not like you can heat it up and bend it back like a traditional stick. I couldn't shoot with it worth a darn... :(

I have no immediate intention of going back to a composite goal stick for two reasons.

1) I use a "Curtis Curve" stick. No one makes a Curtis Curve composite...

2) There isn't a good selection of blade/lie/paddle length combinations on the market yet...

I'm not really a price concious person when it comes to my gear. I use what works best for me regardless of cost (just ask my wife :D ). BUT, It doesn't make any sense to spend an extra $100 on a stick that you can't shoot with...

Should this situation change. I'd be all over the TPS with the Hasek blade and a Curtis Curve handle. (Are any of you manufacturers out there listening?)

Oh, guess I kinda skirted the question. I'd pay up to $300 Cdn / stick no problem.

I think your higher end AAA players will consider these composite graphite sticks, especially with the construction of the newer RBK foam cores.

I was really disappointed to see the lack of quality in the RBK sticks this year, as compared to the KOHO sticks of the past.

Every player that I had turned onto the composite graphite goal stick when I was at TPS loved the stick and used theirs for quite some time; some for more than 12 months in perfect shape! I know there are many people that have used Maltese sticks with the same stick "life."

Sure, you will get those that say "I used mine only 10 minutes and it broke", but, I think these experiences are very much the minority, especially when compared to player OPS, where that breakage experience averages in the 30+ percentile.

Justin Herman, a member on this board, can probably do a better review and comparison between wood and composite graphite sticks.

Reason I asked is I never get asked by goalies for them. I haven't stocked any for that reason but I booked some CCM 12's for this year, just didn't get them yet.

I don't think breakage is a real issue with goalies, most never break a wood/foam core stick, rather the blade gets soft for shooting. So, I'm curious, if the weight is not that significantly different and longevity is about the same, what is the playing benefit?

As for the RBK's being less quality, I think it's more visual. The Koho for example, you could see the graphite layer on the paddle. With the RBK 6K, the graphite is painted over. I've only sold a few of them so haven't got any real feedback yet. I would try one but haven't got my full rights yet!

I don't really know where to start. Marcelo converted my to composite sticks close to 3 years ago. I used strictly wood sticks until then. I play the puck a lot and really heavily on my stick to control rebounds. For me, nothing beat the feel and performance of a wood stick . . . for about 3 games.

The problem I had with wood sticks wasn't breakage, but the loss of "pop". The sticks would turn into what I can only describe as a "wet noodle". As the sticks got used, the fibres in the wood start to break down, cause the stick to lose its stiffness, and thus its performance.

Marcelo gave me a chance to try out the XHALE 2 stick, and I fell in love with it. Unlike the composites before it, it didn't have a "pingy" feel to it, and vibration was almost non existant. The stick felt and performed exactly like a wood stick, and better in some instances. Rebound control was precise and accurate every time. When playing the puck, the XHALE 2 far exceeded the capability of my wood sticks. The concentrated flex allowed for a much harder and much more accurate shot.

The biggest advantage the composite stick has over wood is the contant performance. I was able to get 200+ hours out of my XHALE 2, and the stick performed exactly the same in hour 200 as it did in hour 1. I experienced absolutely zero breakdown, zero loss of "pop", and zero performance decrease.

The stick would have lasted longer as it was still going strong when a forward slid into the crease and wrapped the paddle around a goal post. I am convinced that had this not happened, I would have been able to get another 100 hours out of the stick.

After the XHALE 2, I switched to the Response Plus. I was a little hesitant at first, as it had a stiffer, more rigid feel to it. Definitely not the same wood feel as the XHALE 2. After a few sessions on the ice, I noticed the stick had a little bit more vibration in it than the XHALE 2, however, its shot power and accuracy was absolutely amazing. The Response Plus is also much more durable than the XHALE 2 when it comes to impact "dents" and skate cuts.

The vibration was not an issue, as I use the foam shown in the link below on the handle of all my goal sticks.

http://grip-tek.com/ListCatProds.asp?cat=66

I am continuing to use my Response Plus today. It is going strong, and I suspect it will continue to go strong until another freak accident takes it's life. When that dreaded day comes, I will have absolutely no problem slapping down the cash for a new one, no matter what the price is.

I bought the TPS graphite when I bought all my gear so they gave it to me for $100 whcih is only around $20-$30 more then a wood stick so I tried it out. I cant say it was my favorite stick but it was light and I used it for well over a full season, ice and roller. In the end even if it was the same price as say a Sher-Wood I would go with the Sher-Wood as I like them the most and will probably be my stick for the next few years.

Tried the Maltese ... HATED it. :angry: It had no loft on the blade

see I found the opposite with my Maltese , I got plenty of loft, but the difference between us might be I am not a big shooter who is trying to put it in the far end of the other zone. I don't know how much of a shooter you are.

I just got the Battle axe and have yet to use it yet but I love my 714 it meets my needs

Tried the Maltese ... HATED it.  :angry:  It had no loft on the blade

see I found the opposite with my Maltese , I got plenty of loft, but the difference between us might be I am not a big shooter who is trying to put it in the far end of the other zone. I don't know how much of a shooter you are.

I just got the Battle axe and have yet to use it yet but I love my 714 it meets my needs

JR should be able to tell you what kind of shooter I am after Tuesday night... :D

Actually, I don't have a strong shot because playing net I had to learn to shoot backwards of my normal shot. I have over time become quite proficient at lofting the puck as a form of passing or clearing the zone though. As a result I like sticks that have a good five iron loft to them.

My girlfriend Kristin and I went to Disney a few months ago - she flew down from Detroit - I was still living in Orlando. Mudbug works for them and gave us passes and he told us to go to the Coke Around The World stand at EPCOT and try the Beverly drink b/c it was really good. We tried it - It tasted like ass.

Mike - just finished taping my twigs. I'm ready!

(Well my mind says that, I don't know if my body will.)

My girlfriend Kristin and I went to Disney a few months ago - she flew down from Detroit - I was still living in Orlando. Mudbug works for them and gave us passes and he told us to go to the Coke Around The World stand at EPCOT and try the Beverly drink b/c it was really good. We tried it - It tasted like ass.

Mike - just finished taping my twigs. I'm ready!

(Well my mind says that, I don't know if my body will.)

No worries with this group, you'll fit in fine. :P

Looking forward to actually meeting you in person. BTW, Am I supposed to be picking up some stones? (send me a pm if you need 'em)

Rebound control was precise and accurate every time.

That's interesting you say that, Justin. We were considering producing a composite goalie stick for the 2005 season, but they aren't big in Europe, so Sweden ask me if I could gather some feedback. The overall feedback I got from talking to retailers is goalies liked the longevity, but the paddles were too bouncy -- guys were giving up long rebounds.

Based on your experience, it seems it could depend on the design of the particular stick.

Now I know why Mike uses the Curtis Curve. It'd be scary to see him play with a conventional handle - the stick would end up in the rafters!

tehehehehhehehe :D

Now I know why Mike uses the Curtis Curve. It'd be scary to see him play with a conventional handle - the stick would end up in the rafters!

The Curtis Curve kinda has a boomerang effect... I throw the stick...it comes back to me... :D

j/k... Couldn't get a handle on my new stick. Taped it up just before the game and skimped on the end knob. Once my blocker glove got wet... off she went. :o