Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DaveTheWave

Kor Hockey Unimold Skates

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
i think on every big brand skate(skate that are selling for 400cnd$ and more) you should be able to demo them for maybe 5-6 days!

cobrAA,

I run a demo program with one of my retailers out here in Southern California with Eagle Goal Equipment. In the 3 months that the program has been in place, the store has sold 27 complete sets of goal equipment. On top of that, the countless pads, trappers, blockers only, and chest/arm pieces that have also sold because of the program. They allow the goalie to demo the equipment for 72 hours.

The success of the program has been 95% on complete sets, 100% on at least one piece being purchased.

Here is a case where the dealer is responsible for letting someone demo $1800USD in goal equipment and the program works.

Just a general question now, and not one directed at cobrAA...

Do you go to every car dealer and test drive every car on the market, or, only the one or two that you are truly interested in? I think the same holds through for this program with Kor.

I have them in my store and we have the demo. Not selling too hot because not everyone in the store is knowledgeable on the product and we just have too many other options.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
I have them in my store and we have the demo.  Not selling too hot because not everyone in the store is knowledgeable on the product and we just have too many other options.

JR,

Without jeopardizing your job, and feel free to IM/PM me with your answer, is it that you have too many other options, or, the employees are too lazy to actually sell, instead of being money collectors?

I am sure I know the answer to this and I can tell you that there is one store manager on this BB whose owner would tell him to fire any employee that was a money collector in their store, no questions asked.

A "money collector" is one large reason why stores don't make money. The guy is really not doing much but taking up space.

We brought in a limited amount, and have sold through about half of our inventory.  There is only one model, the shift 1 and we're selling it for $449 just like everyone else.

My stores out here in the West sell it for $479-529USD. They all have had success with it.

That's not an option I have. People here are willing to pay $550 for Vapor XXX but consider the Kor "too expensive."

I guess the main draw for consumers of high end skates like me is the demo period which is useful for ice hockey skates. Dropping 450-500 on skates, its a real boon to be able to make sure they fit perfectly after a couple games! The bake and the advice/fit in the pro shop sometimes doesn't always eliminate comfort problems when you get out on the ice and play. Also the carbon is aesthetically appealing, but I really don't think the Pitch is as popular as the Lightspeed 2 which might be turning some people away.

I purchased the Kor's at Pure Hockey in New Hampshire. They were very helpful and said that if I have any problems to be sure to come back. $449 was the price. One of the salesperson's said that the Pitch might be a negative (I don't mind the holder myself), but did say that one other guy special ordered the skate and had a Tuuk holder put on it....said that Kor is doing the work. Kor's test drive program and commitment to make adjustments to customer desires goes a long way towards good, steady, sales.

if they want.

Easy to say, harder to do since manufacturers are selling to internet stores and big buying groups who lowball all prices. If we don't stay close to their price, items will collect dust. The internet has certainly effected margins, any LHS owner can attest to that.

That's not an option I have. People here are willing to pay $550 for Vapor XXX but consider the Kor "too expensive."

Yep, ask any marketing major and they'll tell you: branding helps (as does advertising). Betamax was a superior product to that of VHS, but which is still around?

If I made the BEST STICK IN THE WORLD, but it was $200, would you buy the Ogie Blue Light Special, or an Easton Stealth for the same money? With items that expensive, people are more hesitant to buy from a name they aren't familiar with.

Hefter Helmets will have this problem when (if?) they finally roll out. Busch has been battling this problem for a while as well (of course, now their product is no longer leading edge technology and that can't help things).

I would try a KOR skate personally because I'm familiar with the science behind it (but I haven't seen them in any of the Dallas area stores to try on for fit), but can easily see I'd be in the minority in that regard. Tons of beer leagues buy the Stealth mainly because it says Easton on it, not (necessarily) because it's a superior product.

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
I would try a KOR skate personally because I'm familiar with the science behind it (but I haven't seen them in any of the Dallas area stores to try on for fit), but can easily see I'd be in the minority in that regard.

Well Ogie, Players Bench in Richardson will have a Test Drive Program coming their way very soon.

Yep, ask any marketing major and they'll tell you: branding helps (as does advertising). Betamax was a superior product to that of VHS, but which is still around?

If I made the BEST STICK IN THE WORLD, but it was $200, would you buy the Ogie Blue Light Special, or an Easton Stealth for the same money? With items that expensive, people are more hesitant to buy from a name they aren't familiar with.

Hefter Helmets will have this problem when (if?) they finally roll out. Busch has been battling this problem for a while as well (of course, now their product is no longer leading edge technology and that can't help things).

I would try a KOR skate personally because I'm familiar with the science behind it (but I haven't seen them in any of the Dallas area stores to try on for fit), but can easily see I'd be in the minority in that regard. Tons of beer leagues buy the Stealth mainly because it says Easton on it, not (necessarily) because it's a superior product.

Exactly! I do a "blindfold" test here in the store, with Brand A gloves and Brand X.

Even though brand A is what folks want, they ALWAYS, and I mean 100% of the time, pick brand X gloves as most comfortable.

It's even harder to break into a market with only a high end product. I didn't stock Kors because first of all, not many purchase the high end models to begin with. I'm talking the average Joe, not gear whores like those who frequent this board. :P

Now if Kor had a buy back if they don't sell program for retailers, I'd jump on it. I'll wait it out till I see how they take off, if they do.

Really? I'm familiar with that place. Any idea when the product is expected to arrive? If just for grins and giggles, I'd like to check them out in person. I've been loosely toying with the idea of new kicks.

i think on every big brand skate(skate that are selling for 400cnd$ and more) you should be able to demo them for maybe 5-6 days!

cobrAA,

Just a general question now, and not one directed at cobrAA...

Do you go to every car dealer and test drive every car on the market, or, only the one or two that you are truly interested in? I think the same holds through for this program with Kor.

Well, I'M only 15 yr old,,never drived...so i don't know...but i already think about this question in my head...I don't think car are the same...i mean it not the same think as a skate

My grand-parent who have 3 cars....they can drive any car even if they are all different...skate if different,you dont have the same feeling when you put them in the store than when you skate in them(i.e: the pitch on a skate....you can feel it in store but on ice yes!)

And yes, you would only go for the 2-3 car you are interesting to.but in the skate market there is what?? 6 compagny...CCM-RBK..BNH...MISSION...KOR?? and Kor is pretty new...and you have CCMrbk and BNH that are the same....so if you really count there is 4 compagny in the market....it not as wide as the car market

By the way, I might not get your question and not answered the good way thought....i'm sorry then lolll...

But as i can see...your test drive worked very fine...i mean like be able to testevery big skate VAPOR XXX and thing like this...for 4-5 days...the store get something like 5 pair...mostly the most popular sizing feet...i.e 7 to 9.5... and then if you cant have something fit then you go maybe to another big store who might have them...

I would have no problem whaiting 1-2 weeks to have a chance to demo them(because there is a ''wait line'' to demo the skates)...

Anyways that my opinions...I never spend more than 35OCND for a skate....maybe if i could demo some synergy or VAPOR XXX...i could have bought a pair of 700cnd skate....

Would it be possible to get Shift 1s in a different color? Like with a more traditional color scheme? Just wondering out loud....

But as i can see...your test drive worked very fine...i mean like be able to testevery big skate VAPOR XXX and thing like this...for 4-5 days...the store get something like 5 pair...mostly the most popular sizing feet...i.e 7 to 9.5... and then if you cant have something fit then you go maybe to another big store who might have them...

the problem i see with that is, if say 6 people take out a pair of 9.5 skates for a 4-5 day demo then by the 7th person that takes out that pair of skates they could be beat to hell. i mean personally i wouldnt want to be that 7th person. just like one hour demo would be alright the person would have a general feeling of either hate or like that skate there demoing.

yea you might be right steeve...but really...if after only 7th person the skate is beat up...would this tell you how bad the durabillity is on these skate?? no??

because i'm now with Flexlite (i had a little problem and had a super friendly service with BNH reps...) so if Nike is doing fine with skate...i ean why not try the bauer vapor line...? but at 700 cnd ...i will pass

Guest Marcelo Cordoba
Would it be possible to get Shift 1s in a different color? Like with a more traditional color scheme? Just wondering out loud....

No, sorry.

Would it be possible to get Shift 1s in a different color?  Like with a more traditional color scheme?  Just wondering out loud....

No, sorry.

Oh well... :( that's too bad. I think they would look sweet with a more traditional color scheme. They then would not only reach out to the people who wear Vapors or Vectors, but also appeal to Tack, Supreme, and Graf users. I think that that might help sales a bit, but that's just my 2 cents.

Would it be possible to get Shift 1s in a different color?  Like with a more traditional color scheme?  Just wondering out loud....

No, sorry.

Oh well... :( that's too bad. I think they would look sweet with a more traditional color scheme. They then would not only reach out to the people who wear Vapors or Vectors, but also appeal to Tack, Supreme, and Graf users. I think that that might help sales a bit, but that's just my 2 cents.

Most people I see spending that much on skates aren't looking for something traditional. They want to stand out and be noticed.

No, sorry.

Most people I see spending that much on skates aren't looking for something traditional. They want to stand out and be noticed.

I guess thats true. :( But it would still be cool to at least have a second version to choose from.

I'm glad to see they focused on getting a good product to market and took the time to work out most, if not all, of the bugs before they released the product. Other colors or models can come later for me.

I'm glad to see they focused on getting a good product to market and took the time to work out most, if not all, of the bugs before they released the product. Other colors or models can come later for me.

That is a good point, quality before fashion ;)

Guest Marcelo Cordoba

Which is exactly what we are doing.

OK. I tried a pair of Kor Shift's last night. WOW!

My shoe size is a 9.5 so i went in to a size 9 KOR.

They were baked already for someone with a wide foot and I have a narrow foot.

They felt great, instantly, very comfortable. MY Vapor XX's are comfortable too, but this was different. The Kor's were solid and strong and no real pressure points, except for my inside left ankle.

I could hardly skate on them at first. The sensation was very different form my Vapors. They were super sharp and I had trouble stopping without biting in to ice too quickly. turning was crazy tight. and straight-aways were fast and furious.

Putting it all together in a game environment was not so smooth, almost comical, kinda like rollerblading for the first time. angles, balance, and center of gravity was way off for me.

I put my Vapors back on and noticed instantly that the Vapor XX is a crappy skate.

like a paper boot with a blade on them. so light and flimsy compared to the solidness of teh Kor.

will post more later...

gb