Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockechamp14

Running the Goalie

I was curious if anyone here is crafty enough to go all out in running the goalie, pushing him into the posts, and crashing into him after getting tripped going to the net, generally making his life miserable.

Any haters? any advocates?

I used to be a goalie,my advice is don't do it and try not to if you fall.First it pisses the goalie off cuz they're playing their game and having a hard enough time stopping pucks going 80mph+ and second it just starts fights like mentioned above.Stick to your game,and let them stick to theirs.

You shouldn´t do it on purpose. Sure thing. But than again what I really think is worse than guys running the goalie is defenders pushing you in intentionally to start of scraps and all.....

I find that a good percentage % of the time, tough guys find it as an excuse to start a fight in front of the net.. Typical scenario ~ forward crashes the net looking for a deflection or screen, whistle is blown, Dee/Hot head comes in to defend the goalie and may give the forward a little push and shove, and before you know it, the gloves are off..

First it pisses the goalie off cuz they're playing their game and having a hard enough time stopping pucks going 80mph+

Stick to your game,and let them stick to theirs.

That would be the main point... take 'em off thier game, and win it...

That would be the main point... take 'em off thier game, and win it...

I think you need to accept that you're going to win a lot of games in your life, and you're going to lose a lot of games. Winning while playing the game the right way really is more satisfying, because you know you outplayed them.

All the other little things -- slashing a guy's wrist, tugging his ankle, stick in the crotch, grabbing the jersey, crosschecking the kidney, running the goalie -- are just chickenshit.

.Stick to your game,and let them stick to theirs.

I"m not saying i do run goalies on purpose, but when a goalie is sitting there jabbing you in the back of the leg, or tripping you everytime you skate in front of the net. It gets rather annoying, and when i'm playing a goalie who is doing that and one of their players is pushing me into the goalie, i'll do absoleutly nothing to try not to hit the goalie. Now if it's a goalie who is playing the game with out any of that crap ill always try my best not to hit him.

.Stick to your game,and let them stick to theirs.

I"m not saying i do run goalies on purpose, but when a goalie is sitting there jabbing you in the back of the leg, or tripping you everytime you skate in front of the net. It gets rather annoying, and when i'm playing a goalie who is doing that and one of their players is pushing me into the goalie, i'll do absoleutly nothing to try not to hit the goalie. Now if it's a goalie who is playing the game with out any of that crap ill always try my best not to hit him.

Thats what im doing too.

They just get what they deserve.

All the other little things -- slashing a guy's wrist, tugging his ankle, stick in the crotch, grabbing the jersey, crosschecking the kidney, running the goalie -- are just chickenshit.

That's what all the games in my league are. As my team's leading scorer right now, it's a pain skating through it all. The fact is, that most of the time, I'll be going to the net, get pulled down or hooked down skating full speed, and basically take out the goalie, along with the nets and the moorings as I slide in... The refs are half the problem.

in beer leagues, it shouldn't be done.. there only one goalie, and its no fun if your shooting in an open net..

i have seen idiots run the goalie with 2 minutes left, and they are up 6-1

geez might want to let up an little and kill the clock, instead of padding your stats...

In beer lieagues it is a definite no.

In Juniors, sometimes you do it trying to crash the net. And you should be prepared to go with some very mean D men if you do it.

If you deliberately run the goalie and it looks like you did, I would look out for someone trying to send you into the hospital later in the game (ie not a very smart idea).

in beer leagues you dont do that , but in college we cant fight, so if i go hard to the net say from the wing and the d man pushes me and i lose the puck, im not slowing down

Exactly, except I play juniors. The fact is, I don't fight, and in our league it's all under 18 so we all wear cages...

I did it once in a beer league and while I'm not proud of it, I don't apologize for it either.

The goalie had just broken the ankle of one of my guys with a slash and stood over him threatening to do it again. What did my guy do to start it? He stood within 3 feet of the paint. If you're a psycho on the ice and trying to hurt people, you obviously need to be removed from the game. I smoked him and fought him and we both got tossed. Funny thing is, his teammates wouldn't stand up for him.

one of my teamates SMOKED an opposing goalie last year. The kid is 6'1 220, goalie came out to play the puck, just trucked him. The goalie was down for a good 10 minutes.

I've played goalie a few times and if I come out on a breakaway and the guy plows me, well I understand that, I left the crease the play the puck at the risk of getting smoked, but getting run in the crease is a different story.

I've played goalie a few times and if I come out on a breakaway and the guy plows me, well I understand that, I left the crease the play the puck at the risk of getting smoked, but getting run in the crease is a different story.

It's still not acceptable to smoke the goalie if he's playing the puck. Contact is one thing, a big hit is something entirely different.

I was talking more about getting pushed into the goalie or sliding into him while he's in the net, not playing the puck outside of the net. On a further note though, all you referees, how legal is it to play the goalie while he's behind the net?

And chadd, it IS one thing to smoke the goalie like that, but it's another when you've drawn two penalties on the tender, and haven't touched him or the crease for the duration of the game.

I was talking more about getting pushed into the goalie or sliding into him while he's in the net, not playing the puck outside of the net. On a further note though, all you referees, how legal is it to play the goalie while he's behind the net?

I don't have my book with me but if I remember correctly; incidental contact is ok, you can't prevent the goalie from returning to the net and you can't intentionally run them.

It's still not acceptable to smoke the goalie if he's playing the puck. Contact is one thing, a big hit is something entirely different.

I realize its not acceptable but you have the choice to stay in the net and not rush the puck. More often than not the forward is the one who gets the worse end of the deal.

I agree though purposely running the guy while he's in the crease and especially when he's not expecting it is a no-no.