Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sweetblazer

Pushups

Hey,

Im just wondering how many pushups in a row is consiered average, average for a hockey player. Is it like a % of body weight or what? I ask because we were doin fitness testing on the weekend and one of the guys did 80 in a row which I found rather impressive wondering if this is a high number?

Off ice pushups...

Interesting Stats chadd seems as if everyone on the team is high I dont think many if any got under 40. I wonder how many someone like iginla could do? Obviously it would get harder and harder the heavier you are but still..

NHL Central scouting states in their fitness assesment report that NHL prospects can do the following:

MEASUREMENT AVERAGE LOWEST HIGHEST

Body Composition

Height (ft:in) 6:3.2 5:8.5 6:6.5

Weight (lb) 192 156 244

Sum of 6 Skinfolds (mm) 61 34.1 116.9

Yuhasz % Body Fat 9.4 6.7 15.0

Musculoskeletal Fitness

Sit & Reach (cm) 36 10.5 61.0

Curl-Ups (max consecutive #) 22 0 65

Push-Ups (max consecutive #) 26 14 42

Push-Ups x Body Weight (lb) 4145 2751 8330

Vertical Jump (in) 25 19 36

Leg Power (ft-lb/sec) 1111 791 1556

Standing Long Jump (in) 102 76 119

Hand Grip (lb) 132 81 183

Bench Press - 150 lb (#) 5 0 20

Bench Press (lb/lb body wt) 7.4 0 15.1

Push Strength (lb) 295 147 553

Pull Strength (lb) 251 103 329

Anaerobic Fitness

Peak Power Output (Watts) * 928 642 1172

Peak Power Output (Watts/kg) 10.5 6.7 13.7

Mean Power Output (Watts) * 720 521 10.8

Mean Power Output (Watts/kg) 8.3 5.6 10.0

Fatigue Index - Drop off from Peak (%) 4.3 24 55

Aerobic Fitness

VO2max (liters • min-1) * 5.0 3.73 6.21

VO2max (ml • kg-1 • min-1) 56.5 44.9 70.0

"E. Push-ups: Push-ups are performed at a rate of 25 per minute in time with the metronome (set the metronome at 50 so that each click signals a movement either up or down)." Average # is 26.

I did 51 last year, and 60 this year. A wrestler/football player in my gym class got 91 last year and 107 this year. Insane, I know.

im doing 60 right now, trying to get to 200 by the time the season's over.

im trying to improve my chin ups, cruches and dips as well too as much as i can in one sitting

you must be kidding. 200...

nice stats BTW

im trying to improve my chin ups, cruches and dips as well too as much as i can in one sitting

nice stats BTW

What's wrong with that? The record for pushups in 24 hours is over 49 000. I don't think it's impossible.

nice stats BTW

What's wrong with that? The record for pushups in 24 hours is over 49 000. I don't think it's impossible.

I didn't say it was impossible, just reach 150 and it would be great. 200, maybe in 1 year or more...if you want to reach that train harder and harder every week.

Anyone know what the avergae  is for 13 year old? push ups,chin ups, etc.

BTW-Just turned 13 in late July (27th)

Push Ups-

AVG= 15-30, Above = 30+

Pull ups for 13YO- Low= 1, Avg= 3, High= 8

Standing long jump for 13 YO (50th percentile) = 170 CM

Situps- Low= 15 and below, 15-30, high= 30+

Half mile run (800m) 13 YO 50th percentile= 5:45

right from my favorite training book. :)

Bench Press (lb/lb body wt) 7.4 0 15.1

I don't get this... If it's saying that the average bench press is 7.4lbs per 1lb of body weight, then the average 192lb prospect is benching 1420lbs.. Maybe it's incorporating Reps into that 7.4?

Biff/Theo.. Any stats on what's considered a good "baseline fitness" or something that gives an idea of muscular balance?

I've been doing squats core work this summer, but with work & a family, I'm doing good to get to the gym once a week. Because of that, I've done very little upper body work. I'd be interested to see if (and how far) out of balance I might be..

Hey end boards...I do have a chart that has optimum strength values for IRM (Or 1 rep) for Bench press, Standing press, Curls, Leg press but no squats.  It also needs your weight to calculate it.  I am sure Biff might have something a bit better.

On the chart, for bench press a male of any weight should be able to lift 1 rep of his own weight.

Thanks Theo... I'll need to work up to that on the BP. Legs and core are more important for hockey, so the hour or so per week that I have to lift is dedicated to that. After intense leg work, I'm too fatigued to get any effective upper body work in, so I've been neglecting it for a while..

I work out alone, so I don't do 1RM's. However, there are calculators out there that use your 3RM or 4RM to predict what your probable 1RM is.. This is one of them: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/1rm.htm

Could you post the 1RM's for the other movements? I wish it had one for squats, but leg press would be close enough I guess.. I weigh 207, but if you could just post the percentages of body weight for each movement, that would be fine..

Is the chart you have specific to hockey, or is it for athletics in general?

I agree with you for sure...If you are short on time, legs and core are the way to go. And squats are one of the best for working so many hockey muscels.

Anyways For leg press:

(1RM)

Male 160 pounds= 320

Male 180 pounds= 360

Male 200 pounds= 400

Male 220 pounds= 440

Male 240 pounds= 280

I believe it is for athletics in general

Male 240 pounds = 480. I know that's what you mean Theo, just to make sure so nobody wiill be confused.

Male 200 pounds= 400

Sweet. 400 on the leg press is actually pretty easy for me... I do that for 8-10 reps and it's not all that intense compared to some of the squats I've been doing..

At one point several years ago, I did something like 750lbs on the leg press. I just decided to start adding weight & adding weight until I couldn't lift any more.

That seems too ridiculous to be accurate though, so I figure there must have been something different with that particular leg press machine that made it easier - maybe the sled was at a lower angle than a conventional or regulation leg press machine..

Yeah, I used to leg press like that too, 770 lbs a for maybe 5 reps., but then my knees started suffering from it!

I would recommend NOT going that heavy, but instead squating and using a slow and controlled motion. i.e. go deep, rise up a little, go deep again and rise all the way up. You can get the exact same workout benefit from maybe 30% less weight, and that means 30% less chance to groove your knee's cartilage!

my knees kill me to the point of not being able to walk after my leg work outs. I'm 17 5'9 170 definitely still growing. Over the summer i was repping 325 Squat and 600 Leg press no problem and would feel unbelievably strong after recovery. Recovery however was HELL, any idea why?

Yeah, I got that high one time and after I did it, figured that it probably wasn't very smart to push it like that again..

I pretty much stick with squats now, and use a weight that I can do 5-6 times. I figure that gives a pretty good compromise between building strength and being safe..

I didn't get in as much gym time as I wanted, but what I was able to do feels like it should really pay off. Our adult league starts up a week from today, so I'm hoping that the training I've got in can help bring me a little closer to the better players in the league..

Anyone know what the avergae  is for 13 year old? push ups,chin ups, etc.

BTW-Just turned 13 in late July (27th)

Push Ups-

AVG= 15-30, Above = 30+

Pull ups for 13YO- Low= 1, Avg= 3, High= 8

Standing long jump for 13 YO (50th percentile) = 170 CM

Situps- Low= 15 and below, 15-30, high= 30+

Half mile run (800m) 13 YO 50th percentile= 5:45

Thanks man, I need to keep this in mind and tell my coach and maybe it will get us in TOP shape.

As with any strength building exercise, don't concentrate so much on numbers as on form. Two reasons, first, worrying too much about numbers can make you overexert yourself and lead to injuries and, second, it could lead to you cheating on the exercise causing you to get no benefits from the exercise.

If you really want to get the maximum benefits from pushups, I suggest buying a pair of pushup handles. These allow you to get a fuller range of motion and will also alleviate the pressure that traditional pushups put on your wrists.

I think they are from the Canadian athletics association. They are printed in my conditioning book. I wouldn't mind copying a bit more, feel free to ask. Maybe they are on the net somewhere as well.

would you mind posting what it would be for a 15 yr old

Sorry to jump on the bandwagon theo, but could you post the stats for 17 year olds. No hurry or anything, just whenever you got spare time.