Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chadd

Most demanding sport

Guest phillyfan

That is quite interesting. Hockey is only .625 behind the most demanding sport. Boxers don't have to endure an hour on or next to a cold ice rink, so......:D There are some surprises on the list for me, thought Lacrosse would be a bit higher, slightly below hockey. Baseball is ranked decently high, but the only hard aspect of baseball is hitting, who can't catch a ball? Sure, there are other challenging aspects, but demand wise, I'd say there are sports that can rank higher.

I dont agree with alot of that but, it was well thought out. Some of those things I wouldent even consider sports. Cheerleading? fishing? come on! I'd say boxing and hockey are closer than .625 because I think hockey got a bit of a shaft in some of the catagories, but I will agree boxing is pretty demanding.

They did a pretty good job. I don't know if I'd put Basketball that high up there. And I'd really like to see some reasons behind the differing numbers between raquetball and badminton.

They did a pretty good job. I don't know if I'd put Basketball that high up there. And I'd really like to see some reasons behind the differing numbers between raquetball and badminton.

I would assume that the speed of the game and the rapid angle changes from teh walls would have raquetball at least a little higher.

I would of thought hockey would have been 1 because of the skating aspect. A lot of people I know said they'd play hockey but they don't konw how to skate.

Guest phillyfan

This is besides the physical aspects of sports, but I hate it when people don't even consider hockey one of the four major sports. I hate it because, half of these people don't respect the game, and/or don't understand it. Skating is not too hard to learn, but considered difficult by some. But, you glide some of the time, not putting forth any effort but still moving, unlike Lacrosses where you are constantly running, which is why I was surprised Lacrosse wasn't around the same rank as hockey.

They did a pretty good job.  I don't know if I'd put Basketball that high up there.  And I'd really like to see some reasons behind the differing numbers between raquetball and badminton.

I would assume that the speed of the game and the rapid angle changes from teh walls would have raquetball at least a little higher.

I don't know if you've ever seen competitive badminton, but it's a very fast game. There's also more endurance involved since the playing court isn't restricted by walls.

I also agree about baseball being ranked too high.

This is besides the physical aspects of sports, but I hate it when people don't even consider hockey one of the four major sports. I hate it because, half of these people don't respect the game, and/or don't understand it. Skating is not too hard to learn, but considered difficult by some. But, you glide some of the time, not putting forth any effort but still moving, unlike Lacrosses where you are constantly running, which is why I was surprised Lacrosse wasn't around the same rank as hockey.

If you've watched a lacrosse game, you would know that there is an awful lot of standing around that goes on during the game. And skating is not too hard to learn for some but very difficult for others. Plus, there's not as much gliding as you make it out to be and if there is then you're not putting forth the kind of hustle necessary to succeed at this game.

Where the heck is MotoX? That sport is easily the most demanding, you have to have lightning fast reflexes, nerves or steel, be in tip top shape, and be able to keep your cool.

It all depends on what you call a sport. Racing/Moto X is a sport, so maybe they are grouping them together, or maybe they forgot MotoX. I wouldent consider cheerleading, fishing, rodeoing, skateboarding, archery, and some of those others sports, but they made it. I dont think lacrosse should be that high, when the ball isn't on your half of the field where your assigned you pretty much just stand and wait for it to come, because in lacrosse there is a rule where if you have too many people on one side of the field you get a penalty (I think). Although, the way those guys take faceoffs is sweet.

Guest phillyfan

If you've watched a lacrosse game, you would know that there is an awful lot of standing around that goes on during the game. And skating is not too hard to learn for some but very difficult for others. Plus, there's not as much gliding as you make it out to be and if there is then you're not putting forth the kind of hustle necessary to succeed at this game.

I've watched my share of lacrosse games, and still believe hockey is more demanding, but I believe Lacrosse is more demanding than it is ranked on that sport.

"if there is then you're not putting forth the kind of hustle necessary to succeed at this game."

"you glide some of the time,"

The Analyptic Aptitude, speed and agility should all be much higher. You have to be extremely fast and quick to play this game, and the analyptic aptitude shoud therefore be much higher becuase the game is faster you have to think faster, thats common sense.

Where the heck is MotoX? That sport is easily the most demanding, you have to have lightning fast reflexes, nerves or steel, be in tip top shape, and be able to keep your cool.

I agree. It's quite an underrated sport. You need the quick skills, strong thinking and the intellectual capabilities to make a split second decision. I love the sport and participate in it as often as I can. As for the original post I think it's fairly accurate, althougn some sports do not get enough praise and oothers get to much!

I think MotoX is a joke, and a sport that was made up just for TV. Our opinions differ obviously.

I thought lacrosse should be at least above tennis. Also, boxing is physically demanding, it's not like we're playing hockey for the full 60 minutes. I get a lot more tired when boxing then during hockey, also more tired running in lacrosse, but i'm much more of a skater than a runner.

I played soccer in HS and I'm sorry but hockey is WAY more physically demanding from an endurance standpoint. You have to be able to recover and recover quickly in hockey after dumping every ounce of energy into every shift. Soccer was always a lot of jogging around with very short bursts of more spirited play.

Rugby is a heck of alot more demanding than basketball and tennis!

Baseball/Softball top ten?!? :lol: Good hitters only hitting the ball 30-40% of the doesn't make the game in it's entirety tough.

To do any sport WELL is a skill that most do not possess. So in speaking in regard to playing a sport in general, then yes hockey is the toughest to learn. Most of my friends that played basketball all through childhood say that they respect it most because of the amount of things happening at once.

Combining the ability to skate, and handle a puck with precision, be aware of all that is happening around you, go balls out in short bursts, take serious abuse, and travel over 20 m/h, and most importantly to read and react in the space provided all the while doing the above things demands the highest respect.

Some sports anyone can play, but it takes SOME skill to do it well. This beautiful sport takes a TON of skill to do it well.

There is no desputing that rugger is extremely physically demanding.

Hell I got a concussion in grade eight that I have a tiny bit of blurred vision from 11 yrs later.

But it is not tough in the sense of what it requires compared to other sports in that it is played on a large surface, and decisions are typically made with more time to judge.

Most people already know how to run, and catching is not that difficult of a skill either.

I'm gonna have to make the case for MMA fighting. UFC/Pride fighters will regulate in every category. They have the most diverse training and most grueling workouts in any sport, and if you watch MMA, wespecially when they're grappling, it takes more flexibility than pretty much any of those sports. It's just not really considered a sport in the US...

I'm just waiting for someone to nominate "jackass" type activites for sport status.