Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Contact Lenses

You need to go to the doctor to see what your options are.

I switched from glasses to contacts 6 months ago and I have never had a problem. I actually didn't notice a single thing different in how I saw the puck, the ice, etc.

But go to the doctor.

You need to go to the doctor to see what your options are.

I switched from glasses to contacts 6 months ago and I have never had a problem. I actually didn't notice a single thing different in how I saw the puck, the ice, etc.

But go to the doctor.

The problem typically is going from contacts to glasses, especially if your glasses are not anti-glare or something to that effect, because you'll see lots of reflections on your glasses and it will drive you crazy. Also your peripheral vision will be better with contacts too.

you can make the switch no problem

i have used contacts for years

1. go to your eye doctor get a prescription

2. go to walmart or costco, they have the best prices from what i have seen, get fitted for lenses

use the test pair they will give you.

the weekly daily wear lenses should be fine.

the daily disposables can get really expensive.

if you have astigmatism, it will cost more for lenses.

of the keys to keeping your eyes "wet" so they dont dry out is blinking so keep them in mind.. watch darcy tucker.. he blinks like crazy on the ice...

1. go to your eye doctor get a prescription

2. go to walmart or costco, they have the best prices from what i have seen, get fitted for lenses

use the test pair they will give you.

the weekly daily wear lenses should be fine.

the daily disposables can get really expensive.

if you have astigmatism, it will cost more for lenses.

of the keys to keeping your eyes "wet" so they dont dry out is blinking so keep them in mind.. watch darcy tucker.. he blinks like crazy on the ice...

I know my Rx is -5/-5....but there is another piece of info they ask you for...that I dont' know...I'd have to see an eye place for that info

I wasn't sure if Darcy wore contacts or if he had Tourettes?

My daughter uses accuview. I found a good place to get them relatively cheaper was at www.1800contacts.com

She had to go to an optometrist to get the prescription specific for contacts. I do not think they can just give you them from your glasses prescription.

I have been using contacts for about two years or so. I love the difference. I wore glasses the other four years I played, as I've worn them since Kindergarten, so 10 years. I started wearing contacts and now I can barely tell they are in. I have much better vision while on the ice.

Right Contact - Acuvue 2

Left - Acuvue 2 with Toric (I have a stigmitism (sp))

To get these without the doctor is like performing surgery on yourself while anesethisized (sp). YOU CANT!!!... and if you try it and do it somehow you will not believe the problems you will create.

This is really Non-dabateable territory...

Its a day process if they have your prescription in stock for trials...if no...2-3 days... then you come back in a week or so to get checked again and the Doctor releases the prescription... then you can go anywhere your little heart desires to get contacts

I just got them and aside from not being able to keep track of them they have have been great. I went through that whole trial process and was at the optometrist once a week for the past month. I can't say I really had any adjustment period at all once they were in my eye, getting them in and out was another story.

Radio,

I think that adjusting to contacts isnt very difficult at all. When on the ice for the first time in contacts, you will feel great. The biggest adjustment is being able to get them in. I struggled for a week trying to get my contacts in and had to wake up about 10 minutes early everyday, and it was a bit awkward at first but it becomes natural. Just be more aware when you rub your eyes as they may sometimes come out. I usually carry a spare conctact case and solution in my bag, and if your eyesight is really bad then maybe even carry an extra pair of contacts. If they do come out during a skate, keep it in the center of your palm and squirt a little water on it and try to get it back in. Hope this helps

When I first started learning how to skate this year my glasses kept getting in the way under my helmet when I'd fall and would fog up constantly after a hard skaate. I switched to contacts and haven't looked back.

I went throught the hoops at the optometrist to get my perscription and learn how to put them in and clean them, but as soon as I got my perscription I went to 1800contacts and have been happy ever since. I got my perscription and faxed it in after I placed my online order and ordered express delivery hoping I would get my contacts in 2 days or so. As I was leaving to go to work the next day the fedex truck pulled up and handed me my contacts. Needless to say this was quicker than going through the optometrist. The first two weeks or so it took me almost on average 30 minutes a day to get my contacts in, getting them out was always easy. I finally got he hang of it and it takes me about 5 minutes on a bad day. Just be sure to cary a spare bottle of solution and a spare pair in your bag or at your office or where ever and you'll always be prepared.

Thanks to everyone for your opinons/thoughts. I'm going Tuesday to get "fitted" and I'll probably wear a test pair for a couple skates to make sure I like them. Then, it'll cost $60 for a 6 month supply of "monthlies". Seeing as how I won't wear them everyday, and probably only for hockey...those should last quite a while.

Thanks again MSH'ers.

Good decision. You'll be amazed by the peripherial vision difference...as someone mentioned already. Also, don't get discouraged if you have a hard time getting them in or out of your eye at first. The trick for me was getting used to actually touching my eye (with the contact on my finger tip) without blinking. I used to tear the hell out of them when I'd try to take them out too...so you have to be gentle. I noticed that I naturally blink a lot more frequently when I have my contacts in, but it isn't anything that bothers me. Once you get used to them, you'll never go back to glasses for sports.

definately check online after you are fitted... $60 sounds very high to me...

what are you getting? I will check my suppliers....even my Toric lenses were not that much

Good luck getting them in. Most frustrating thing i've ever done in my life. You really notice the difference the first few times on the ice. I got contacts a few months ago and I was amazed at how much better my vision was. As for the cost, $60 sounds high.

The place I bought my glasses and Rx Sunglasses is a 3 for 1. I could get a single pair of contacts that are intended for everyday use for nothing...but I don't like the idea of one pair...if somehting happens they are gone.

6 months worth, with hockey 1-2 days a week (I have no intention to wear them everday) should last a LONG time. The regular price is $120 for 6 months...I get them for $60 because I've already bought 2 pairs.

I went today...but they didnt' have my Rx in stock for a test pair. I may get them before hockey tomorrow, if not...by the weekend (I won't be on the ice again until next Tuesday). That will give me a few days to get used to them before I play.

I've heard getting them in/out is tricky at first...thanks for the additional warnings. I will probably wear them all day on a day that I'm playing rather than trying to do it at the rink (proablby not he cleanest place to be poking around in your eye anyway)

You guys weren't kidding about how hard it can be...took me FOREVER to get the first one in at the store today....like, don't laugh...almost 25 minutes of trying...the Left was quicker...about 10 minutes. Then take one out and put it back...about 10 total. I wore them all afternoon...felt great...just tried to take them out.

"lost" the right one...it was tucked down in the corner of my eye...got the left out real easy.

*phew*

I'm sure all it takes is practice...just like my slapshot *L*

Hey Gaga, no laughing here. Thankfully my mom works for an optometrist (this is where I brag about not ever having to pay for contacts....until last month when a bigger corporation bought out the family-owned business :unsure: ....now I'll be paying a bit).

When I first got my lenses, I took a long time to put them in/get them out too. I went to my mom's office an hour before closing time and took the full hour before I was able to do it a few times. Even the first few weeks I was late to work because it took me some time in the morning to put them in (which is a bit difficult to do when you wake up since your eyes tend to dry out while sleeping.) Just give yourself some extra time at home before leaving for your game. Overall it took about a month before I was 100% comfortable with inserting and removing them. One tip: just make sure you're putting them in the right way instead of in reverse (with the ridge sticking up).

I decided to go the contact route after I was taking a Florida vacation and my glasses were stolen by the Atlantic Ocean by an unexpected wave. My girlfriend had to drive the rental car for the remainder of the vacation. I got contacts one week after I arrived back home. :P

My right eye is actually kinda dry and sore since I took them out tonight. I think I might have poked around abit too much in the removal attempt.

I'm not laughing. It took me around 3-4 sessions to get them in. Most of which were around an hour and a half long which I realize now was way to long. By the end of the session I usaly felt sick. I'm so glad I got them they really improve your vision. Maybe you should try putting in some eye drops, sometimes after I have them in my eyes are very dry.

Some guys at work were recommending "Natural Tears" for soft contacts, if my eyes stay dry.

3-4 separate trips to the eye palce to get it? Wow...I wouldn't have THAT much patience. I would've given up long before that...Hell, I almost gave up today. One girl came in about 10 minutes in my "session" and was gone in about 10 minutes total. I think women would have an advantage, becasue they have makep pens and shit near their eyes all teh time, so it's not nearly as big an adjustment for them.

I did break the store record though. She told me the longest anyone had taken to get a lens in was 15 minutes....

Really, 15 minutes? At my place they said comeing 3 times was around average. Most likely trying to make me feel better :angry: . They also did say that women would have an advantage. It was even harder comeing back 3-4 times cause im pretty impatient but I stuck with it and in the end I got it.