Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Contact Lenses

I've worn glasses since Grade 6, and I've been wearing sport goggles for hockey for the last 3-4 years. Lately they just seem to be a pain in the ass, and I'm thinking about trying contacts (I've NEVER tried them before - for hockey or regular wearing).

Before I commit to a "real pair" I want to try those Accuvue daily/single use type to see if I like them...but where do you buy them? I went to Shoppers Drugmart and they don't carry them. Do you have to get them from a eye glass place? or is there an over-the-counter version?

How many on MSH wear contacts when they play? Is it a big adjustment (considering I've never worn them before)

i wear them when i playa nd all day actuazlly. i have expensive ones that you don't replace, but the firsdt time i went on the ice with them as opposed to no glasses ever at all, i thought i just had lasek surgery. best move i ever made.

i wear them when i playa nd all day actuazlly. i have expensive ones that you don't replace, but the firsdt time i went on the ice with them as opposed to no glasses ever at all, i thought i just had lasek surgery. best move i ever made.

If I could go without glasses altogether I would...but I can't see a damn thing without them.

so go contac lenses. sport glasses are for dorks lol jk

Hey...they were alright for Kareem Abdul-Jabar and Eric Dickerson...mind you...not many hockey players wear them.

HMMMMMMM!

:huh:

so go contac lenses. sport glasses are for dorks lol jk

Hey...they were alright for Kareem Abdul-Jabar and Eric Dickerson...mind you...not many hockey players wear them.

HMMMMMMM!

:huh:

I use contacts and I can't imagine wearing glasses on the ice. I use the disposble type and they work just fine. I end up wearing the weekly use type for a month or so without problems, I just forget to throw them away. :huh:

I've worn glasses since Grade 6, and I've been wearing sport goggles for hockey for the last 3-4 years. Lately they just seem to be a pain in the ass, and I'm thinking about trying contacts (I've NEVER tried them before - for hockey or regular wearing).

Before I commit to a "real pair" I want to try those Accuvue daily/single use type to see if I like them...but where do you buy them? I went to Shoppers Drugmart and they don't carry them. Do you have to get them from a eye glass place? or is there an over-the-counter version?

How many on MSH wear contacts when they play? Is it a big adjustment (considering I've never worn them before)

Yes i wear contacts when i play they dont bother me really but ive been using them for 2 years now i dont remeber much of an adjustment . The hardest thing for me was learning how to put them in and taking them out but it i was quite young when i started so that might be easier for you.

I use contacts and I can't imagine wearing glasses on the ice. I use the disposble type and they work just fine. I end up wearing the weekly use type for a month or so without problems, I just forget to throw them away.

Were do you buy the disposable type....do you store them in the regular lens solution stuff between games?

I use contacts and I can't imagine wearing glasses on the ice. I use the disposble type and they work just fine. I end up wearing the weekly use type for a month or so without problems, I just forget to throw them away.

Were do you buy the disposable type....do you store them in the regular lens solution stuff between games?

I actually wear them all day long most days, not just for games. I put them in a protein cleaner every night and it makes a huge difference. If I just put them in saline they wouldn't last nearly as long.

were do you buy them though...drugstore? from an eye place?

I have purchased them via an optomitrists office and via websites like 1800contacts.com

As long as you have a current copy of your prescription you can order them online.

I would suggest you don't order online, but rather see your optomotrist so he/she can teach you the proper way to place your contacts in and remove them and also measure your eyes for conditions such as stigmatism.

I'm sure if you asked your optomotrist/local eye glass store for a free week's worth of daily contacts for trial they wouldn't mind seeing as how mine gave me a free month's worth of focus daily's to try when I was enquiring about them.

Contacts are definately the way to go in your situation. Just remember to bring an extra pair to your practices/games just in case one falls out, wouldn't want to pull a Luc Bourdon ala Canuck's training camp and leave the day's session cuz a contact fell out lol

I went almost 7 years wearing no corrective lenses on the rink and I have terrible eyesight. If someone threw a long pass to me, I wouldn't even see the puck until it was about a foot or two in front of me and I'd always ask my teammates how much time was left in a penalty (since I couldn't read the numbers on a giant scoreboard.) :blink: Somehow it worked for 7 years....but when I started wearing contacts about 3 years ago, I literally saw a whole new game in front of me. I started making great passes more often since I was seeing everything.

My problem is that usually from summer through autumn, I have a problem with my left eye, due to a combination of allergies and massive protein in my tear ducts. I get bumps under my eyelid and the contact starts sticking to them. Everytime I blink, the contact moves with the eyelid. My mom works for an optometrist and it's a rare condition (lucky me!) I've even used a solution where you stick your lenses onto a holder with a platinum disk in a peroxide solution overnight. You have to leave them there for a minimum six hours for the platinum to react with the peroxide solution. You DO NOT want this peroxide solution in your eye or you will literally burn the protective fluid around your eyeball.

I also leave my contacts in for a month at a time unless I have that allergy issue where I literally have to put a fresh one in my left eye every other day. If playing with glasses doesn't bother you then why change? But if not, then I'd highly recommend contact lenses.

I went almost 7 years wearing no corrective lenses on the rink and I have terrible eyesight. If someone threw a long pass to me, I wouldn't even see the puck until it was about a foot or two in front of me and I'd always ask my teammates how much time was left in a penalty (since I couldn't read the numbers on a giant scoreboard.) :blink: Somehow it worked for 7 years....but when I started wearing contacts about 3 years ago, I literally saw a whole new game in front of me. I started making great passes more often since I was seeing everything.

My problem is that usually from summer through autumn, I have a problem with my left eye, due to a combination of allergies and massive protein in my tear ducts. I get bumps under my eyelid and the contact starts sticking to them. Everytime I blink, the contact moves with the eyelid. My mom works for an optometrist and it's a rare condition (lucky me!) I've even used a solution where you stick your lenses onto a holder with a platinum disk in a peroxide solution overnight. You have to leave them there for a minimum six hours for the platinum to react with the peroxide solution. You DO NOT want this peroxide solution in your eye or you will literally burn the protective fluid around your eyeball.

I also leave my contacts in for a month at a time unless I have that allergy issue where I literally have to put a fresh one in my left eye every other day. If playing with glasses doesn't bother you then why change? But if not, then I'd highly recommend contact lenses.

That's the stuff I use, it's fantastic. I have a similar problem, but not even close to that severe. Thanks for the background on that one.

That's the stuff I use, it's fantastic. I have a similar problem, but not even close to that severe. Thanks for the background on that one.

No problem. Here the bottle says, "Do not put directly into eye!". But I make sure I keep that stuff separate from my regular saline. Both bottles look similar and well....waking up at 4:30am for work still half-asleep....they just look identical. When my girlfriend lived with me, she accidentally put it into her eye and couldn't wear contacts for a month after. Nasty stuff!

I remember when I first started wearing my contacts I was perscribed to wear them one hour the first day, two the second and so on so my eyes could adjust to them. I don't like the daily disposable ones they are too thin and move around too much on my eyes I like the longer term ones better. Seriously its like skates you have to try a few out to see what works for you, that's why the eye doctor is the place to go, they should have samples of the major types and you can see what works best for you.

No problem. Here the bottle says, "Do not put directly into eye!". But I make sure I keep that stuff separate from my regular saline. Both bottles look similar and well....waking up at 4:30am for work still half-asleep....they just look identical. When my girlfriend lived with me, she accidentally put it into her eye and couldn't wear contacts for a month after. Nasty stuff!

The bright red tip didn't give it away ;) I've done that too no directly in the eye but I have used it to rinse them before, the nice red contact shaped burn on the eye is a nice reminder.

I wear the one-a-day ones. There great because you don't have to deal with soluctions. Just put them in before you go to the rink, and throw them away after.

no comparison from glasses to contacts for sports..

You need a contact prescrition to buy them over the net.. subtle difference from an eyeglass prescrition but different...

If you have never worn them your eye doctor needs to fit them and suggest the right type for you... IE astigmatism etc... you could never avoid the stop at the doctor to get your first pair

The permanent vs daily contacts..either is no better than the another...Its just what your doctor wants/lets you get according to your eyes

If you don't have too much lacrimation (is the correct word? like when you "cry")

try the daily (and of course try to avoid wearing them for too much time because your eyes will not hydrate them properly).

Dailys are available also with astigmatism correction (at least in Italy) so no problem even for that.

If you don't want to bother yourself with prescription try order them from Europe because we don't need prescription to buy it.

But before try them go to the eye doctor, he will know what it's better for you

I have just started to wear glasses in the last 2 months and I can't belive you haven't gotten contacts before this. Nothing personal towards you, but I hate my glasses. Granted it is a whole new world out there(I guess I don't need to buy a bigger TV after all), but I just don't like them. I'm going for my contact fitting this coming Thursday, and can't wait. But everyone is right, you need to got to your eye doctor to get the right fitting. If you don't do it before I do, I'll give an update next week.

ive used contacts since i was in peewees. (im in migets now) they arent that hard to get used to and they are aweome for hockey. i tryed skating with glasses a few times but its jsut nto the same as just having your eyes.

When i was in a camp, a guy always had glasses and when he got there, it was his first day with lenses and he said that it would be so good and there is no big conversion (sp?) to glasses.