Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RadioGaGa

Contact Lenses

I got mine yesterday. No problems. The biggest problem was tweaking the left one so I can see as good as with the right eye. Still not perfect, but they didn't have anymore lenses. Have to go back in a week or two and get it taken care of. Not to brag, but the both went in the first time in less than 5 minutes. Went skating afterwards and no problems there. My eyes were feeling a little dry before, and they felt better while skating. Must have been due to the extra tearing.

My eye doc said the opposite about women. She said that it is easier for the women to ruin one while removing due to their longer fingernails.

Glad I did this, I hated my glasses.

Had contacts over 20 years now. It tkaes a while to get used to the lens being right on the eye. It took a couple of days to get used to them.

The doc keeps telling me to get Lasik, but I'm apprehensive about the whole cutting the eyeball thing while you're awake, etc... Plus it's not covered by my insurance either.

Okay...I have to say..I still suck at putting them in...getting them out is getting easier. But, I FINALLY got a chance to play with them in...I can't believe I waited this long to try them. What a difference.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Okay...I have to say..I still suck at putting them in...getting them out is getting easier. But, I FINALLY got a chance to play with them in...I can't believe I waited this long to try them. What a difference.

Ok, after reading your last post I'm now convinced I need to try this. I have been wearring glasses for the last 10+ years on the ice. First without any facial protection which was ok vision-wise. Then two years ago my league ruled that I had to wear at least a half visor if I am wearing glasses - still ok although some fogging action. Then this year the league changed the rule such that a full facial protector must be worn if the glasses have any glass or metal. So I went my old baseball plastic sports sunglass frames with presciption lenses - FOG CITY. Now I'm back to the regular glasses with a wire cage - tolerable, but still not great. So you may be wondering why after all of these trials I never converted to contacts. Well I did get some way back when (like say 1995) but I could NEVER get them in my @#$$ eyes at all, so I've been hesistant to try again ever since. But I think the time has come....Stay tuned...

Ok, after reading your last post I'm now convinced I need to try this. I have been wearring glasses for the last 10+ years on the ice. First without any facial protection which was ok vision-wise. Then two years ago my league ruled that I had to wear at least a half visor if I am wearing glasses - still ok although some fogging action. Then this year the league changed the rule such that a full facial protector must be worn if the glasses have any glass or metal. So I went my old baseball plastic sports sunglass frames with presciption lenses - FOG CITY. Now I'm back to the regular glasses with a wire cage - tolerable, but still not great. So you may be wondering why after all of these trials I never converted to contacts. Well I did get some way back when (like say 1995) but I could NEVER get them in my @#$$ eyes at all, so I've been hesistant to try again ever since. But I think the time has come....Stay tuned...

Like I said...still getting used to it. But, I have found that when I put them in first thing in the morning fresh out of the shower...no real problems...a couple minutes tops. When I try to put them in midday/late afternoon for an evening game...problems!!!!!

It wouldn't surprise me that tension, etc...in your eyes playes a part in how easily you can put them in...the "pinch" to get them out doesn't bother me nearly as bad as it did the first couple times.

I'd say go for it...and you won't believe the difference.

It would seem that we are a generation of damned near blind people. I also play with contacts and it's great. The moisture in the air of the rink or the cold air seems to really help, as I usually have dry eyes within 30 minutes outside of the rink.

It would seem that we are a generation of damned near blind people.

Hey, our parents warned us about sitting too close to the television....

....(and as I type this, my face is like 8 inches from the monitor)

It would seem that we are a generation of damned near blind people. I also play with contacts and it's great. The moisture in the air of the rink or the cold air seems to really help, as I usually have dry eyes within 30 minutes outside of the rink.

Yeah when I spend 12 hours a day focusing on something that is maybe 13" from my nose its no wonder I'm nearsighted. When I was younger I was farsighted, go figure.

When I first started wearing my contacts it took me about 2 weeks before I picked up the knack for getting them in quickly. I also went though solution faster at first too. I've now been wearing my contacts for a good 6 months now and the other day I skipped wearing them because of allergies and my co-workers all commented that I looked different that day. I wear them all week but usally don't wear them on the weekend if I'm in the house all day, except for playing hockey of course.

I've used Focus Night & Day contacts by Ciba Vision for ~1.5 years now. They are amazing as you can leave them on (while sleeping too) and totally forget about them. Used them in army whole year, and had no problems with moisture, dry areas, gun powder, smoke, dust, winter/summer, hell they worked even in mild tear gas. Of course you've to clean them after a while, but they are so breathable you won't notice them! Definitely great for hockey too, or any other sport. I will continue purchasing them in the future, and I highly recommend everyone to try these out.

I've been using 1-day Acuvue and they've been pretty good. I'm going to try the new ones acuvue released for people with astigmatism -- I hope it's worth the extra cost.

i use the 2 week acuvue or surevue's. not sure which ones they are, but it's the johnson and johnson ones. i've been using this pair for a few months now haha. don't see any problems. :D

I recently ran out of those disposable contacts -- which I don't see the point in and will never buy again, but that's an entirely different rant -- so I've been having to play with glasses the past few games.

It's AWFUL! I hate it. The last game I played, I overskated the puck three times because I drew it too close to my body, forcing me to look at the puck without looking through the lens --

if you've ever looked through the bottom of a lens in a manner so that 50% of your vision was aided, 50% non aided, you know what I'm talking about. The ground appears to be a foot higher or so when you look through lenses.

Same idea with the puck. The Puck entered my unaided field of vision, confusing the crap out of me, and I'd overskate it.

Now I have an appointment with the doc on friday.

I recently ran out of those disposable contacts -- which I don't see the point in and will never buy again, but that's an entirely different rant -- so I've been having to play with glasses the past few games.

It's AWFUL! I hate it. The last game I played, I overskated the puck three times because I drew it too close to my body, forcing me to look at the puck without looking through the lens --

if you've ever looked through the bottom of a lens in a manner so that 50% of your vision was aided, 50% non aided, you know what I'm talking about. The ground appears to be a foot higher or so when you look through lenses.

Same idea with the puck. The Puck entered my unaided field of vision, confusing the crap out of me, and I'd overskate it.

Now I have an appointment with the doc on friday.

i couldn't imagine playing with glasses. driving with glasses is already bad enough where you look in the corner of your eye and you see blurriness. i love contacts just because everywhere you look, you can see clearly. one day i may go with lasik, but for now contacts work fine for me.

I've got a 6 month supply of those 30 day ones. Since I really only use them for hockey...I've been using the same pair since Oct.

I've been using 1-day Acuvue and they've been pretty good. I'm going to try the new ones acuvue released for people with astigmatism -- I hope it's worth the extra cost.

I just started using those ones for astigmatism about a week ago. They seem to work just fine, but are thinner than the ones I was coming from. I don't remember what my old ones were, but they weren't acuvue. Anyways, thinner contacts = rip easier...for me at least. They do cost nearly twice as much as my old ones, so I'll be a little upset if my theory on ripping thin contacts is true.

I can't remember what I wear and I'm too comfortable on my lazy boy to get up to find out, but I also wear the 30 day kind. I love them!!! Switched over to contacts in middle school like 7 years ago and haven't looked back. Even though they are supposed to be tossed after a month, I adhere to the say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Just because you have a suggested time to use the lenses, it sure doesn't mean that you can't use them after the time is up. If the lense doesn't bother you, then save yourself some $$$ and wear it until it loses its comfort. I have been wearing the same pair since I think Thanksgiving. That being said, I have also had to toss the occasional lense that no longer feels good after a couple weeks. Just something that I thought I would share to all you "Newbs"!!!