Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Quintin

What do you do...

Ok, I've got a problem here guys.

I started playing hockey during the summer in a camp in order to fulfill my raging passion to play hockey. I did really well in the camp, scoring highest in points from scrimmages. Now, I've joined a university hockey club and currently play Center for them. During the first two practises, they were really nice to me but then everyone began to criticise everything I do and yell at me when a new player comes in.

Also, during one scrimmage, I told my wingers to skate wide and then pass it whoever's in the slot. They grunted at me. I won the faceoff, dumped it towards my right D man and he passed it to the right winger. I skated into the slot and yelled as loud as I can "IN THE SLOT, I'M OPEN!". He saw me but just skated in on his own, passed it to the other winger, lost the puck and the other side managed to score. Then one of them blamed me and said "Where the f*ck were you!?!"

Another time would be during a shooting practise where we stand semi-circle in front of the goalie, recieve a pass from someone and shoot it into the goalie. My player/coach passed ME the puck but then his girlfriend starting moaning saying "IT WAS MINE YOU TWAT!". Then my coach told me to go 5 laps around the rink and to pick up the pucks at the end of the session.

I dunno if it's THIS serious but I'm the only Chinese guy on the team and I'm also the youngest... and y'know, maybe that's affecting everyone? I dunno, I'm just quite upset about this because I don't want to be hated by everyone on the team and make them stop me playing the game that I love so much.

dont get discuraged man!!! jsut try to get along and be nice to everyone. if they are hating because of you being chinese thats just f*cking wrong!!! i really hate when people do that cause one of my best friends is from a diferent country and is a really good hockey player. good luck with your team!

Also, during one scrimmage, I told my wingers to skate wide and then pass it whoever's in the slot. They grunted at me. I won the faceoff, dumped it towards my right D man and he passed it to the right winger. I skated into the slot and yelled as loud as I can "IN THE SLOT, I'M OPEN!". He saw me but just skated in on his own, passed it to the other winger, lost the puck and the other side managed to score. Then one of them blamed me and said "Where the f*ck were you!?!"

Sounds to me like maybe they don't like hearing too much coaching from someone who just started playing the game. I know on my team guys hate hearing other guys who are usually no better than they are, tell them what to do. Implicit in your coaching is the presumption that you are better than they are and/or know more than they do. Maybe try easing off on the coaching, and try passing to them every chance you get.

I would probably just find another team. Playing with a bunch of ***holes definately takes the fun away from hockey. I changed teams a couple years back when I had players on my team complaining about my lack of speed and complaining that I shoot too much.

make sure you don't coach/ talk too much. it's hockey, not WWE wrestling. it might be the fact that a young chinese guy is yelling at the top of his lungs that's making the dislike you.

i'm not saying you're doing anything wrong, maybe you just have to adapt to what your team accepts. show them that you're a good hockey player but playing hard (but clean) on the ice and they'll respect you.

f%k them...this happened to me one years...i show them what i could do..(finished 5th in all the league..(around 150 kid)) coach was benching me...i was talking to only 1 guys in the team...i was always in the corner in the room..

but when someone used to shit me...all i said was: you whant to ignore me..then don't give me shit! coach,player..anybody

Life like Hockey is a team sport, no matter how you look at it, you have to get along with people. If you don't, they won't pass to you. Who knows who's right and who is wrong here. My feeling is that change comes from within and not from other people. Decide if you want to change your habits or not. If not, move on. If so, then work on it.

The 4 best players on my current team are the ones that talk the least. They get it done and everyone respects them. They are the ones that remain positive even when we get our bu^^s kicked. If someone is doing something habitually wrong, those guys usually take it up with the captain first.

TO with Philly, found this out this past weekend.

Just be yourself and do yer thing, it's really unfair to be treated like that just because you are chinese... I am asian too and I'm proud being one, ill keep being proud of my blood and do my thing as long as I'm not stepping on other people regardless of nationality. Sports bring nations together, Racism separates them. Be Loud and Proud dude..look for other options. I doubt Paul and Steve Kariya let all the criticisms overwhelm them.

I highly doubt it's because you're chinese dude...we have some minorities on our team and that doesn't affect us in the rink at all. Hockey is a white dominated sport, but I don't think your team would do that kind of stuff to you especially at that level of hockey when they've been around the sport so much.

I like the comment someone said that you don't want to coach your team when you aren't the coach...sure you want to talk to them and make plays together because that is what is going to make chemistry between you. Don't 'try' to get along with everyone quite yet until you're really considered one of the guys...just be quiet and try not to be annoying :lol: until they except you, it will eventually happen...if it doesn't, the screw them. B)

you have to play it out and just keep things to yourself. play with a chip in your shoulder, its hard joining a new team but people will respect your game

the more you coach from the bench the more your teammates will resent you. its a lesson most people learn pretty fast but somehow it seems like every teams got a guy that likes to tell you what to do.

Wow that sux. Happened to a guy on my team. Try to just play your game and maybe they will figure out your better than they thought. Good luck

Are you talking about Tim or Peter or who? (dangle4u is on my team)

the more you coach from the bench the more your teammates will resent you. its a lesson most people learn pretty fast but somehow it seems like every teams got a guy that likes to tell you what to do.

yep

the worst thing is being told what to do...even if the intentions are actually good

most lines im on ill do this ,and my linemates never really care. Im not really an asshole about it though. I actually like it if im playing on a line with older ,better players and they tell me what im doing wrong even if theyre assholes about it.

And about getting them to like you ,i had my teams hate me a few years ago ,but then it pushed me harder and now im better then most of them and they respect me.