Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

43%burnt

removing polarfibre

i remember some people doing this on the other board a long while back. what is involved in removing or somehow neutralizing the polarfibre on inno shafts? is it just a matter of sanding it down? what about putting a couple layers of thick clear coat paint? any ill effects after this is done? thanks for the help.

Sanding it was one way, but I believe Lego first suggested painting over it. I've done the paint method and it's made it less noticeable and held up longer than the shaft itself did.

what kind of paint did you use? i was thinking of sanding first and then painting. i want to make sure i do this right because i'm most likely going to do this on a brand new shaft.

Damn, I was about to edit the original post to include the paint. I took a flat black Krylon and used it, without a primer or anything like that, and it stuck. If you were only sanding to prime instead of remove more polarfibre, I'd say you could save time and not do it.

i'm quick with the reply action this morning. thanks for the info. i was going to sand first to get it as smooth as possible and then paint over it. hopefully that'll result in something decent. i might have to kick my own ass if i screw this up.

And the last thing I can add is I think a gloss black would look better if it's one of the newer ones. Mine came out looking a bit rough, but I don't know if that'd make a difference to you or not.

I've tried both and I prefer the paint. I thought sanding it made it a little too slick. I'd suggest a non-latex paint and a clear coat. Sanding it down isn't necessary, but let us know how it works out if you decide to do it.

looks are not a big issue, but its nice to know. i was hoping that i won't sand off the graphics a ton. i could just use a couple layers of clear then. if it works i won't have to answer the "why does your brand new shaft look like crap?" question. if not, i'll just black out the entire thing and rock it darth vader style or something. i'll post when i do it. i'm going to order the shaft next week and do this when it comes.

I'm the least handy guy on here, but is clear coating something you could layer on to void the grip and still see graphics thru?

just layering clear coats is what i want to initially do if i can. if you do it right, i don't see why the grahpics still wouldn't show through. it might turn a little milky, but still visible. i would imagine its the same process done for the acrylic retail ones in some respects. its kinda hard for me to think about this because i don't even have the shaft yet. it all depends on how tall the polarfibre is. if its pretty tall, i think i'll sand it down first then paint. if not, i'll just layer a couple times. i don't want to just add a ton of layers of paint. i would think it might start adding an excessive amount of weight to it. and it'll probably have a more significant chance of cracking and flaking off. that's kinda dependent on the paint you use too.

Guest phillyfan

Its not Polarfibre, but close. Friend had a Rubber Response, and hated what the Rubber was doing to his gloves. Being the cheap guy he is, he opted to take a knife and slowly cut off layers at a time. Eventually, he managed to remove 85% of the rubber before the blade finally broke. But, for cutting the Polarfibre off, it would be done very slow and carefully.

Guest phillyfan

Innovatives grip, Patentened I Presume. Just an Easton Grip, or TPS Rubber, but Inno.

do you even know what polarfibre is or have even seen it in person? it is nothing like easton or tps grip. there is nothing rubber about it. its a sandpaper like texture that's a part of the outer surface of the shaft. its not something that can be peeled or cut off.

If sanding the shaft down is something you would consider then why not try to shoot the shaft with a coat or two of clear first? This way, if it doesn't work, you could sand it down like you planned anyway. It will take more time and cost a little extra but worth it if you really want to save the graphics. Personally, I've never had a problem with the polarfibre.

Its not Polarfibre, but close. Friend had a Rubber Response, and hated what the Rubber was doing to his gloves. Being the cheap guy he is, he opted to take a knife and slowly cut off layers at a time. Eventually, he managed to remove 85% of the rubber before the blade finally broke. But, for cutting the Polarfibre off, it would be done very slow and carefully.

hey efrum the retarded rabbit, what does that have to do with polarfibre?

Lego and mack, will adding paint you think add alot of weight?, i'm thinking of spraypainting the bottom of a synergy black.

Like just up to the little <<<s? I've done that to a few and never noticed a difference and I can get weight down within a gram, +/- 2g.

Guest phillyfan

Lego and mack, will adding paint you think add alot of weight?, i'm thinking of spraypainting the bottom of a synergy black.

I had thought that TPS Rubber and Innovative Polarfibre were similar. If you choose not to except feedback, that is perfectly fine. But refrain from the comments, you're confusing me with your physcologist.

I had thought that TPS Rubber and Innovative Polarfibre were similar. If you choose not to except feedback, that is perfectly fine. But refrain from the comments, you're confusing me with your physcologist.

I'm not the only one that can't stand your moronic posts

Guest phillyfan

This is the last post I'll waste regarding you, but talk about moronic and pointless posts....

This is the last post I'll waste regarding you, but talk about moronic and pointless posts....

You had no idea what polarfiber is, despite several descriptions in other threads, and you make a very uninformed post that really wasn't applicable. Both of you need to drop it and move on.

I usually painted it on the top and bottom, then on the front and back all the way up to the top, big Innovative graphic. I really didn't notice much of a difference in weight. Very negligible.