Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

khockey#3

what cut do you like on your skates

Well thanks to this thread I've now switched from a 3/8ths hollow to a 1/2" hollow. That was just the standard shop cut, so thats what I went with. I'm 240lbs, and I realized after reading this that I was digging in way too much. I'm hoping after a few sessions I'll be ready to move upo 5/8ths. So, thanks guys, I'll let you know how they work out.

Well thanks to this thread I've now switched from a 3/8ths hollow to a 1/2" hollow. That was just the standard shop cut, so thats what I went with. I'm 240lbs, and I realized after reading this that I was digging in way too much. I'm hoping after a few sessions I'll be ready to move upo 5/8ths. So, thanks guys, I'll let you know how they work out.

I always like the look you get when you ask for 5/8 the first time. Then they ask "you mean 3/8, right?"

3/8 is standard at all the rink shops I've been to in Washington.  I just wonder why?

I think it has to do with the machine manufacturers training they get. I know most of the rinks and shops in the south use 3/8 as the standard. I would say all my southern customers, florida, alabama, NC, georgia, etc, that's what they get. Also, a bad sharpener can get by using deep hollows, kind of like a bad carpenter who can cover mistakes using trim.

You Guys will laugh at this, but keep in mind, Im a goalie.

1 7/16" hollow, very shallow. I barely catch anything.

man, how do you get any power in a b-fly slide. I go 1/2" and can't imagine going shallower now.

man, how do you get any power in a b-fly slide. I go 1/2" and can't imagine going shallower now.

Damn, our local AHL guy uses 1/2" in net. I can't imagine trying to get an edge to push off using a shallow hollow like you use.

Damn, our local AHL guy uses 1/2" in net. I can't imagine trying to get an edge to push off using a shallow hollow like you use.

Most modern bfly goalies use a sharp cut. You just can't push while down with a shallow hollow. Sure, shuffling is easier, but once you get used to the deeper hollow, the power on your slides is amazing.

edited for spelling

I put my skates to a 7/8" cut yesterday, by the way (when I had the run in with the figure skaters)...

I couldn't tell the difference between 7/8 and 3/4... I'm sticking with 7/8..

I have no idea what cut. I go to my "lhs" at the rink, give them my skates. I come back and they are sharp :P Guess they give everyone the same sharpening job :P

I still can not believe that there are shops out there with the standard being 3/8" hollow. The only explanation I can think of is gross incompetence and ignorance. Why doesn't someone with a stake in this, like Bauer, come out with a weight/experience/hollow depth chart so that the players who are being abused by the LHS morons can finally learn to skate.

I was at 1/2" and a few months ago I tried 3/8". I liked both but felt I had to work too hard with the 3/8". I went back to the 1/2" and then after reading this thread I went to 5/8". The guy at my local hockey shop looked at me like I had 3 heads when I asked for it, but he did it. I like the 5/8" and will probably stick with it. If anything it just feels smoother to skate on. I don't feel like the skates are going to dig into the ice when I don't want them too and it didn't affect my turning at all.

By the way I'm about 5'8" 190lbs.

I think the best things about the wider hollow (5/8+) is speed and the fact that it makes it much easier to pivot. I have not noticed a significant decrease in my turning ability, but I have noticed significant increases in the other two things I just mentioned. I will push myself to 1" soon...

I've been a "shallower is better" convert ever since a certain little LHS in NH suggested 5/8" over the standard 3/8" that's the norm where I go. Its been a while and my skating's improved so I asked for the next shallowest they could do ("umm, that's 6/8", sharpener boy said; hooray public schools) and tried it at stick and puck. I didn't notice any difference, but I wasn't really pushing it. We'll see what happens at my next powerskating class, though.