Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

khockey#3

what cut do you like on your skates

Kovy, Like Chadd said-- you can adjust it to any amount you want along the scale (from 1/4" to 2"). Most guages only show increments of 1/8", but you can do 1/16" adjustments. Anything smaller than 1/16", say 1/32" is negligible. At that increment, you cant really tell the difference.

I like to change my hollow by 1/16" because it allows you enough change to notice the difference, but is not too extreme, and you then are able to adjust your skating within a game.

A lot of people prefer different hollows to compensate for the changes in ice conditions throughout the year. If you are playing at the same place all the time, then it is a good idea. Around here though, I think the differences in ice conditions between arenas is far greater than the variation in ice conditions from season to season. I end up just using one hollow throughout the year.

5/8" hollow here with an 11' slight toe down radius.

The key is to find the one that works for you and how you skate.

i really dont understand this. i just have whoevers shaprining them do whatever. what would be a cut thats pretty shallow but would still hold an edge in a sharp turn?

and

does shallow mean that you get better glide and deeper better hold for turns?

At my rink, its either -1 or 0. I get minus 1 if i want sharp, 0 if i dont want it to sharp(soft ice maybe). Anyone have any idea what these mean.

i really dont understand this. i just have whoevers shaprining them do whatever. what would be a cut thats pretty shallow but would still hold an edge in a sharp turn?

and

does shallow mean that you get better glide and deeper better hold for turns?

Shallow does have a better glide than a deep cut...shallow cuts take some getting used to though.

Anybody have any general guidelines on what hollow people at different weights should be skating on? something like:

75 - 5/16"

100 - 3/8"

125 - 7/16"

150 - 1/2"

175 - 9/16"

200 - 5/8"

is that accurate?

5/8ths here as well. Thinking I might need to hollow out a little as I still get a little chatter on hard stops. That is the "standard house cut" where I get them sharpened.

mine was at a 5/16 but its slightly shallower now

You better not weigh more than 75 pounds

im so used to it i cant change, im 5'9" 168 and defense, i would like to change cause it will probley make me faster but whenever i have like a 1/2 i cant go hard in the turns at all.

Anybody have any general guidelines on what hollow people at different weights should be skating on? something like:

75 - 5/16"

100 - 3/8"

125 - 7/16"

150 - 1/2"

175 - 9/16"

200 - 5/8"

is that accurate?

If this is true, maybe i will try 9/16".

@ 175 lbs. my hollow is at 5/8".

Skating level is intermediate skater at best.

mine was at a 5/16 but its slightly shallower now

You better not weigh more than 75 pounds

im so used to it i cant change, im 5'9" 168 and defense, i would like to change cause it will probley make me faster but whenever i have like a 1/2 i cant go hard in the turns at all.

You have to change is slow increments. Have your sharpener shallow it just 1/32 then try that for a few weeks. Then 1/32nd more. No more than 1/32 at a time.

Soon you'll be on 3/4 and be fast yet still turn on a dime!

75 - 5/16"

100 - 3/8"

125 - 7/16"

150 - 1/2"

175 - 9/16"

200 - 5/8"

is that accurate?

If this is true, maybe i will try 9/16".

@ 175 lbs. my hollow is at 5/8".

Skating level is intermediate skater at best.

i think this scale was just an example. i'm 175 and i use 3/4, but i know another guy who's same weight on 1/2. it really is what you like, but if you're over 175, using like a 3/8' hollow or deeper will just make you a slower skater