Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chara3

Im sick of these refs!

Did anyone see that piece of garbage call on Rivet in the Toronto/Montreal game? Absolute BS! Theres another game handed to a team by the referees. When is the NHL going to start booting these morons that dont know how to officiate?!

Yeah, and apparently Markov grabbed or shoved a ref and started yelling at him. He might be suspended. The Habs luck continues to go downhill <_<

Did anyone see that piece of garbage call on Rivet in the Toronto/Montreal game? Absolute BS! Theres another game handed to a team by the referees. When is the NHL going to start booting these morons that dont know how to officiate?!

Both calls were good calls. Rivet dove, never touched the puck and took out the man. Markov's goal should have been disallowed because of the contact with the goaltender.

I disagree with the Markov call to be honest, I think the contact didn't have an affect on the goal. The reffing was awful tonight, I completely agree with the Rivet penalty, you can't have guys diving at knees going unpenalized. Intentional or not, he tripped Antropov and was lucky he's so tall or else he would've blown out a knee. There is lots to bitch about on both sides though with the calls tonight. Ugly, ugly game. This is appernatly Markovs second "ref incident", the first coming in Pitts, but it was just verbal. I expect he gets 3 games.

Look at your avatar, of course you're going to think that the calls were terrible. It was a blatant dive at Antropov's knees, and it was the correct call to make, regardless of the timing/score. A clear cut penalty should not be seen as questionable simply because it occured with 10 seconds left in a tie game. I really didn't get why he was pissy about it, and why Koivu refused to leave the ice after the game. Both of them needed to sack up.

Markov's disallowed goal was also a good call, but Kronwall should have been given a penalty for tripping. If Markov did push the ref, he should be gone for a long time. That type of stuff is retarded and just shows how undisciplined he is. Besides, the game should have never even have gone to OT because Berg should never be on the ice with 3 minutes left. Seriously, why is he even in the NHL? It blows my mind why he is playing every game and Cola is down in the AHL.

And speaking of ref's deciding the game for a team, what about Toronto's game against Carolina last night? That OT goal was without a doubt in not once, but twice. I can sort of buy the "I had already blown the whistle" on the second part, but it obviously had already crossed the line before. It seemed like the ref didn't even want to go upstairs at all.

EDIT- I also thought that there were many penalties that went uncalled on both sides. Two that stick out in my mind are Sundin's trip on Koivu in the third, and a Hab manhandling Wellwood. But to say that the refs decided the game isn't true in the least bit.

That Rivet "tackle" was definatly a penalty. I think they were just mad that it was called right at the end of the game. If that happened to your team you would be bitchin for a call too.

Yeah, if it's a penalty, why the refs did not call anything but just at the end. aNd Markov's goal was absolutly good, if the Leaf's D trip him and Markov hits the goalie, it's not his fault, so the goal should have been good, and from what I've seen, it's not markov who did hit belfour, it's their D, this goal was definatly good. It seems like a couple persons on here always tell the opposite, it's annoying.

I can't stand the people that praise the new NHL game and say how they love the flow, but complain about penalties to there team. To have this flow, penalties need to be called at any time. Rivet dropped his shoulder into his legs, and took him out. DEFINITELY a penalty. I'm not saying that because I am a Leaf fan, but because it is a penalty.

If you don't like the penalty call, get mad at Rivet for taking such a stupid penalty. He did not need to take Antropov out with 4 seconds left, there wasn't much chance he could score, and he should've just gone down and eliminated the pass.

The players know the Refs are calling a lot, so they should simply just not take penalties. Rivet tripped him, end of story. Its Rivet's fault the Leafs had a powerplay going into Overtime, NOT the Refs.

yeah, like I said if it's a penalty, tell me why the habs just got 3 PP I think. Don't tell me the leafs just did 3 infraction in the whole game, why were not they calling everything like they should have done ands then they decide at the end to call. Like you said, it's a 2 minute if they call everything, but that's not what they did during the game and mostly the third period. End of the discussion.

Overall I'd say I'm pretty happy with the new rules but the bad officials that couldn't call a game right in the "old" NHL still can't call a game right in the "new" NHL. Plus I find it extra annoying that these guys are getting penalties for shit that happens to me a dozen times in one inline game.

Heres the officials from the game last night..

Kevin Pollack...born Kincardine, Ontario

Dean Warren.....born Toronto , Ontario

Derek Amell....born Pt. Colborne, Ontario

Brad Kovachik......born Woodstock, Ontario

nuff said

We are talking about habs fans here though. If it happend to the leafs instead of the habs, im sure they would consider it a good win and say that the leafs deserved them. But seeing as its there team, its the refs fault.

Markov's disallowed goal was also a good call, but Kronwall should have been given a penalty for tripping.

Two guys leaning on each other to get position and they both go down, they happen to make contact with the goalie. I saw it as incidental contact all the way around and no penalty needed on anyone. I think you're going to see more guys going down without calls in situations like this. If two guys are shoulder to shoulder trying to establish body position but don't hook, hold or slash there shouldn't be a penalty. If one of those guys happens to get a little off balance and goes down, tough luck. Look at how NBA players battle for position to get a rebound, it's the same theory.

On the Rivet hit the way Antropov let go of his stick was a bit iffy, maybe he tried to embellish it. The timing on the penalty made me madder than the penalty itself.

Because there from Ontario they're Leaf fans? I guess every Hab fan is a seperatist as well. Those Hab fans last night at the ACC, all from Quebec I'm assuming? The refs were brutal all game long, but here's the problem Hab fans are upset about other than losing. Your speed was irrelevant tonight. The Leafs carried the play all night and kept the puck down low. Your team has alot of trouble with big forwards, just like the Leafs have trouble with speed. Montreal was caught hooking, holding, cross checking, all night long because they couldn't handle it. There are roughly 200-300 "infractions" during a game, not all can be called and just as many were let go for the Habs. The rivet penalty was just stupid and was blatant because it was infront of the net as time wound down. Everyone was watching, Antropov has a history knee injuries and Rivet hammered him just below. If we want to discuss bias, I'll throw up a couple of anti-Leaf calls

- O'Neill's penalty, yes it was a penalty, but it was also offside and should have been whistled down

- The 2nd goal came off a Domi icing. Attempted passes are supposed to be waved and Stajan just missed that break-away Domi was trying for. It should have been waved

- The 3rd goal come off a Hab kicking (unintentionally) Allisons feet out from under him

These are being ignored because the Leafs won. Call it a poorly officiated game, but I find it hard to believe this game was lost because of officiating. Especially when the Habs god a ton of breaks in the first and the refs decided to not call any more penalties against them. If they kept "the whistle out" this game would have been over MUCH quicker. They decided to put it away as much as they could, it reflected poorly, but it was also the reason they were in the game at all. Be happy you got a point, you didn't deserve to be in that game at all.

nuff said

That is possibly the worst argument ever in the history of MSH. Hell, thats even pretty terrible by Corebeam standards. Rivet probably dove at Antropov's knees on purpose, hoping he'd get called for tripping, see as he is from North Bay, Ont. Ever heard of a thing called professionalism? I genuinely believe that the refs could really give a shit who wins these regular season games. They ref so many of them in such a short time period that they probably all feel the same to them.

nuff said

Not nuff said. I will now name drop and say I know NHL linesman Pat Dapuzzo personally. When he gets to the building he is working in, it doesn't matter the location. These men are professionals. They have worked their way up the ladder starting with youth hockey long before they got a sniff of the professional game as an official. Every game they officiate is reviewed and watched by the NHL offices. Pat will tell you that the game is even faster now with the new rules. The officials have to make decisions in less than one second. At the same time, they are trying to avoid players and the speed of the puck. It is ridiculous to think that because these 4 officials were from Ontario that they would let their place of birth have the slightest influence on any decision they make during the speed of an NHL game. My last thought is have you ever been an on ice official at any level of hockey? I worked USA Hockey for 5 years and it is a whole different ballgame at ice level, whether its mites or midgets.

The Rivet call was legit, it doesn't matter how you see it. You can't take out peoples knees and expect to not get called, no matter what time it is in the game. I don't know about Markovs goal though. It looked like Kronwall pushed him down but not much you can do about it now ehh

I'm just wondering how many people here, actually have had the chance to talk/learn with people who are former/current/fast track NHL officials, for an extended period of time?

Only because I had major problems with NHL officiating until I got to know quite a few of them and learn the prior mandate/standards to which they were working under and it was an eye opener...and while there are still good officials, bad officials, etc..I could at least understand it ...

I can't say I've ever talked to a NHL ref, but I know a guy who started out locally, worked his way up to the WHL and ECHL, and is now linesing in the AHL. From what he says, even there is highly regulated. I can only imagine what it takes to make the jump from AHL to NHL.

kosy, yeah..they are critiqued and regulated at all levels and those guys go to camps over the summer and are given tons of instruction, but if that guy is in the A..its pretty similar since that's the next step for a lot of the guys (ie 40/40 deals)

I'm just wondering how many people here, actually have had the chance to talk/learn with people who are former/current/fast track NHL officials, for an extended period of time? 

Only because I had major problems with NHL officiating until I got to know quite a few of them and learn the prior mandate/standards to which they were working under and it was an eye opener...and while there are still good officials, bad officials, etc..I could at least understand it ...

I've had the pleasure of talking to one NHL guy who lives in the area and you're absolutely right about "mandates".

I can't say I've ever talked to a NHL ref, but I know a guy who started out locally, worked his way up to the WHL and ECHL, and is now linesing in the AHL. From what he says, even there is highly regulated. I can only imagine what it takes to make the jump from AHL to NHL.

It helps if you're related to a current NHL guy.