Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleT96

Weight Transfer for Snapper

I'm having some problems with my snap-shot. First, my shot doesn't seem to fan-out or saucer when the puck comes of the blade. I think i'm losing a lot of velocity because it seems to wobble a bit.

Second, i'm right handed, however, I find myself most comfortable beofre the shot having my weight on my right foot. When I need to get the shot off, I don't seem to have time to step with my left foot and shoot.

In relation to the second question, when you have the weight on your off-shooting foot (I'm assuming that would be my right foot since i'm right handed), what is the relation of the weght transfer to the timing you snap your wrists for the shot. Sometimes it feels like I've snapped my wrist and weight is still on my right foot...other times it feels like I've transfered the weight to my left foot too early and now i'm just trying to use arm and chest strength to get the velocity up. Is the best method to snap your wrist at the same time you transfer your weight??

Thanks

Since you are right-handed and shoot off your right foot, do you kick your left leg to the side, then back and up? Like a dog peeing? I think that helps with the power.

How old/strong are you and your wrists? Are you popping your wrists through the shot?

You need to have strong forearms and wrists. Try doing wrist curls everyday with what ever weight you feel comfortable with. I put all my weight on my left leg(I shoot LH) when I shoot,I also find my snap shots are harder with a stiffer stick. Practice your shots at home in the driveway or when ever you can on the ice,thats the best advice I can give you.

I kinda got the same problem but i started goin and shootin some pucks in my garage. Once the lake by my house gets frozen im there 24/7 for shooting practice.

I've been working on my snapshot lately as well. Do you guys normally shoot right of the heel or do you let the puck get 2 or 3 inches in front of the blade and then take the shot?

I've been working on my snapshot lately as well. Do you guys normally shoot right of the heel or do you let the puck get 2 or 3 inches in front of the blade and then take the shot?

The puck is always on my tape when I shoot.

You need to have strong forearms and wrists. Try doing wrist curls everyday with what ever weight you feel comfortable with. I put all my weight on my left leg(I shoot LH) when I shoot,I also find my snap shots are harder with a stiffer stick. Practice your shots at home in the driveway or when ever you can on the ice,thats the best advice I can give you.

Wrist power is ok...i had been a laborer for a brick mason for 8 years and by using brick tongues and stacking bricks around the job site and on top of scafold, its put some really good strenghth in my wrists and forearms. Standing still, I seem to get a much better shot then when skating....

However, I noticed you also put weight on the same foot as you shoot (i.e. you shoot left and your weight is on your left foot). If you find that ok, then maybe my mechanics aren't wrong...

The puck is always on my tape when I shoot.

That could be a problem because I seem to put some distance between the puck and the blade (1-2") when i take the shot. If the puck is on your tape the whole time, what distinguishes your snap shot from your wrist shot? Maybe your mechanics can help me out.

I'm having some problems with my snap-shot. First, my shot doesn't seem to fan-out or saucer when the puck comes of the blade. I think i'm losing a lot of velocity because it seems to wobble a bit.

Second, i'm right handed, however, I find myself most comfortable beofre the shot having my weight on my right foot. When I need to get the shot off, I don't seem to have time to step with my left foot and shoot.

In relation to the second question, when you have the weight on your off-shooting foot (I'm assuming that would be my right foot since i'm right handed), what is the relation of the weght transfer to the timing you snap your wrists for the shot. Sometimes it feels like I've snapped my wrist and weight is still on my right foot...other times it feels like I've transfered the weight to my left foot too early and now i'm just trying to use arm and chest strength to get the velocity up. Is the best method to snap your wrist at the same time you transfer your weight??

Thanks

were you able to watch the accuracy competition during the last NHL all star game in minnesota? roenick shoots right and amazingly (even melrose points it out) he shoots off the right foot, melrose called it fundamentally incorrect, but it works for me, i use an 85 flex and a Jagr blade, my coach told me to just grip my stick harder and point lower, hope this helps bud

When I take a snapper, I start with the puck on the HEEL of my blade, then, in a "snapping" motion, make almost a "studder-step" to put about 2-3 inches between the puck, while you kick your off foot, and follow through with the shot. My reasoning for this, is to get some flex into the stick before releasing the puck, which kind of distinguishes it as a hybrid of the wrist and slap shot. Just my way of doing it. ;)