Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the_player

Are USA and UK rinks the same size?

Yup. IIHF rinks and NHL rinks have different sizes, though in Britain there are a number of different sizes. If I recall correctly, Murrayfield in Edinburgh is one of the bigger ones, while the pad in London is quite a bit smaller. Don't have the measurements to hand, though.

It's the same across the rest of Europe too - bigger ice surfaces than in the NHL.

European rinks e.g elitesirien(sp?) eihl, SM liga.

most European rinks are olympic size, whereas North American rinks are bigger

Don't you mean while north american rinks AREN'T AS big? NHL is smaller than IIHF/olympic size.

European rinks e.g elitesirien(sp?) eihl, SM liga. most European rinks are olympic size wehreas north american rinks are bigger.

my bad, what i mean to say was

' European rinks e.g elitesirien(sp?) eihl, SM liga. most European rinks are olympic size, whereas North American rinks are smaller'

sorry

Olympic rinks (European) are 200 by 100 feet, and NHL rinks are 200 by 85 feet.

I know that in the SM-Liiga in Finland the rinks are generally smaller than Olympic size but bigger than NHL rinks, somewhere in between. The teams have different sizes so it's not one standard size for all teams, but seems an average size there would be like 200 by 92 feet or something like that.

And what are the sizes of US College rinks, I think I've heard they are Olympic sized? Is this correct?

Yup. IIHF rinks and NHL rinks have different sizes, though in Britain there are a number of different sizes. If I recall correctly, Murrayfield in Edinburgh is one of the bigger ones, while the pad in London is quite a bit smaller. Don't have the measurements to hand, though.

It's the same across the rest of Europe too - bigger ice surfaces than in the NHL.

Murrayfield is bigger (200ft by 100ft) but for some reason, when skating, it doesn't seem that big to me...

I thought nhl rinks were shorter that olympic, whilst slightly wider to give fast end to end action but more open play.....