Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NuggyBuggy

Counter-clockwise

In every single warmup I've ever been in or watched, including the pros, the players ALWAYS skate counter-clockwise. Is there any reason why ? Why don't we go in alternate directions every now and then ? (I have a secret desire to get to the ice first and skate clockwise, just to mess with everyone's heads. Lucky for them I am chronically late).

weird ,maybe thats why my crossovers going that way are much better...

That's part of the reason I was wondering... I suspect a lot of people are like us and cross-over better to their left than to their right.

Every public skate I went to growing up was in "normal" skating direction, AKA counter-clock wise. You had to specifically request to skate in the "backwards" direction. Thats why I'm much stronger counter clockwise, and I'd assume its the same with a lot of others.

weird ,maybe thats why my crossovers going that way are much better...

nice catch there, didnt even think of that. and I also have been first on ice (not even on purpose) did i go the opposite way--everybody got mad?!? guess its a tradition. My favorite warm up drill is everybody is skating in two minor circles, picking up pucks in the corner, and constantly shooting on net once you cross blue line. usually the goalie is streching cause of all the shots, I just think it looks cool if every body on your team has a good shot and is constantly hitting post. Intimidates the other team and catches audiences eye.

i've skated in one rink in public skating where they reversed the direction of traffic after each re-surfacing.

Well in our warm ups we skate both ways, and we do the same in practise.

Same here. Our usual warmup is skate counter-clockwise at half speed, on a whistle sprint until the next whistle, and when the coach bangs his stick on the ice we reverse. Keeps you on your toes (or at least paying attention) and doesn't favor one direction over the other.

Well in our warm ups we skate both ways, and we do the same in practise.

same here, we do one lap counter then do the other way.

my job at school is workign the public skate, and its always counter clockwise, except when its wednesday afternoon and the christian loving homeschoolers come on the ice, they go the wrong way, just like they did in choice of schooling

my job at school is workign the public skate, and its always counter clockwise, except when its wednesday afternoon and the christian loving homeschoolers come on the ice, they go the wrong way, just like they did in choice of schooling

That got a good laugh out of me.

Actually it has to do with the brain. People naturally feel safer going counter-clockwise and it has to do with security and familiarity.

Actually it has to do with the brain. People naturally feel safer going counter-clockwise and it has to do with security and familiarity.

I think your reading to far into it, maybe its just the way most rinks like it set out with entrances and stuff

I bloody crapped myself the first time I went on ice when it was going counter-clockwise! I felt safer going clockwise!

Dude good indication that you will like hockey, you just felt safe skating AT the others at public sessions.

At my old rink they would just tell everyone to change direction randomsly, cause i guess for new skaters if you learn to skate one direction, then learning to go the other will feel weird,

lol

I was just joking. Its such a small force it really only can affect larger masses. The toilet thing is a myth.

I'm terrible at explaining it...You can read up on it here: Snopes