Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLIGHTNING

Womans Hockey

If we do a MSH skate in T.O I will bring a few of them out for you all to compare.

As long as they're attractive, bring as many as you want. :D

Seriously though, the only way a woman can compete at the highest level of hockey right now, would be if she was a goalie. I don't believe most women are physically prepared to play elite men's hockey at this time. That said, they're all better than me.

If we do a MSH skate in T.O  I will bring a few of them out for you all to compare.

As long as they're attractive, bring as many as you want. :D

Seriously though, the only way a woman can compete at the highest level of hockey right now, would be if she was a goalie. I don't believe most women are physically prepared to play elite men's hockey at this time. That said, they're all better than me.

lol , At least you can admit it Chadd :-0

I'm a hockey dad - my 17-year-old daughter is a HS senior who plays boys HS varsity and girls travel, and is going to Boston College next year (MSH regulars might remember my earlier posts).

Otto,

That's awesome that your daughter is going to BC next year. A lady on my team also has a daughter that is going to be playing there next year. Small world...

Otto ,

Did your daughter get a full ride to BC ? Thats awesome, congrats, she must be so happy and you must be proud !

Where are you from ?

Actually no DLightning, she didn't get a full ride. She did get offers of a full ride from two other D1 schools, but BC was her first choice. She also knew some of the other girls that are coming in as freshmen @ BC next fall, having played against them or gone to the Festival camp in Lake Placid. They should have a real strong team in 06-07, so that factored into her decision, along with BC's academic rep and the chance to go to college in the Boston area. So yes, she's very excited.

We live in Harrisburg PA and she plays for the Washington Pride (D.C.) U19 girls.

Otto ,

Did your daughter get a full ride to BC ? Thats awesome, congrats, she must be so happy and you must be proud !

Where are you from ?

Actually no DLightning, she didn't get a full ride. She did get offers of a full ride from two other D1 schools, but BC was her first choice. She also knew some of the other girls that are coming in as freshmen @ BC next fall, having played against them or gone to the Festival camp in Lake Placid. They should have a real strong team in 06-07, so that factored into her decision, along with BC's academic rep and the chance to go to college in the Boston area. So yes, she's very excited.

We live in Harrisburg PA and she plays for the Washington Pride (D.C.) U19 girls.

I see , most of our team consists on former d1 girls.

She will develope so much there

A couple of thoughts: a lot of girls playing hockey (at least in the U.S.) have to go through a lot and make sacrifices in order to play at a high level. My kid drives 250 miles (round trip) to practice twice a week with her girls team. And there is another girl on the team who has to travel even farther. I wonder how many boys would do that. The college games never draw the kind of crowds that the men's college hockey teams get. And for many, their options to play after college are pretty limited. There are women's senior leagues out there but other than that they can only play competitively in men's leagues.

Their games are intensely competitive but differ from the boys game in part because of the rules differences and also physical differences. There is much more emphasis on passing and skating. One thing I notice is that only a few of the girls possess the wicked slapper that can overpower a goalie. If there is no traffic in front of the net on a shot from the point, the advantage usually goes to the goalie. Most of the goals are scored in close or on tips and rebounds.

I'm almost 26 and I travel 180 miles roundtrip to practice once a week with a women's team, plus I go back there for home games-travel much further for away games. I go another 100 miles roundtrip to play house league or co-ed with another team. Back in September I was traveling 6 hours (3 to and 3 from) Wyoming to play in a league with the men. Some of us ladies are very dedicated and will do it.

As a goalie though, I will agree with you in regards to us having the advantage. Very few girls on my team have a slapshot- none of them even close to like those I face from the men. Some of the girls have a bit of a wrister, but not much. A good many have trouble getting the puck up off the ice. But when it comes to scoring goals on me, it's the tip in and the rebounds that have the best chance of going in- or bad screen plays. All of that traffic because everyone is hacking away at the puck it seems.

I also skate out as a wing and am one of the few that can skate and shoot. I don't know what my slapshot feels like when it hits a goalie though. The wrist shot is my favorite anyway and I scored a game winner the first game of the season with a bit over 3 minutes left.

I love playing women's hockey, but I do wish sometimes I lived in an area where I could play at a more competitive higher level. I think the NWHL would be so much fun to play in!

A couple of thoughts: a lot of girls playing hockey (at least in the U.S.) have to go through a lot and make sacrifices in order to play at a high level. My kid drives 250 miles (round trip) to practice twice a week with her girls team. And there is another girl on the team who has to travel even farther. I wonder how many boys would do that. The college games never draw the kind of crowds that the men's college hockey teams get. And for many, their options to play after college are pretty limited. There are women's senior leagues out there but other than that they can only play competitively in men's leagues.

Their games are intensely competitive but differ from the boys game in part because of the rules differences and also physical differences. There is much more emphasis on passing and skating. One thing I notice is that only a few of the girls possess the wicked slapper that can overpower a goalie. If there is no traffic in front of the net on a shot from the point, the advantage usually goes to the goalie. Most of the goals are scored in close or on tips and rebounds.

I'm almost 26 and I travel 180 miles roundtrip to practice once a week with a women's team, plus I go back there for home games-travel much further for away games. I go another 100 miles roundtrip to play house league or co-ed with another team. Back in September I was traveling 6 hours (3 to and 3 from) Wyoming to play in a league with the men. Some of us ladies are very dedicated and will do it.

As a goalie though, I will agree with you in regards to us having the advantage. Very few girls on my team have a slapshot- none of them even close to like those I face from the men. Some of the girls have a bit of a wrister, but not much. A good many have trouble getting the puck up off the ice. But when it comes to scoring goals on me, it's the tip in and the rebounds that have the best chance of going in- or bad screen plays. All of that traffic because everyone is hacking away at the puck it seems.

I also skate out as a wing and am one of the few that can skate and shoot. I don't know what my slapshot feels like when it hits a goalie though. The wrist shot is my favorite anyway and I scored a game winner the first game of the season with a bit over 3 minutes left.

I love playing women's hockey, but I do wish sometimes I lived in an area where I could play at a more competitive higher level. I think the NWHL would be so much fun to play in!

It is a great leauge to be involved in, the tallent gets better every year , scouts from D1 schools come out to watch regularly (6 at our 1st game ) also Wally (Team Canada Scout) comes to the games a fair bit.

The AAA womens does not even come close to the NWHL , amazing players , lots of big shots , great moves , fast skating.

If you catch a game on TV and the Lighting are playing , look for me !

Do you see the league maybe growing larger and progressing into the states? I definitely wouldn't be ashamed to try out for a team. No harm in trying, right? Canada is just too far away!

Do you see the league maybe growing larger and progressing into the states? I definitely wouldn't be ashamed to try out for a team. No harm in trying, right? Canada is just too far away!

They are looking into Expansion for next year actually , there is lots of interest. The only leauge that comes close with teams in the US is the WWHL , Western Womens Hockey Leauge. One great team (Oval Extreme ) the rest are not good at all.

They play a shorter season

wolf, you should definitely check out some of the girls who play in the U19 MWEHL (Midwest Elite Women's Hockey League). Many of the girls who play there have strong (not overpowering) slappers and wristers -- a few I wouldn't want to stand in front of the crease when they're winding up.

A lot of the girls who play for teams in the MWEHL, like Honeybaked, NAHA, Shattuck St. Mary's, Colorado Select, Washington Pride, and Ohio Flames go on to play d1 women's hockey.

wolf, you should definitely check out some of the girls who play in the U19 MWEHL (Midwest Elite Women's Hockey League). Many of the girls who play there have strong (not overpowering) slappers and wristers -- a few I wouldn't want to stand in front of the crease when they're winding up.

A lot of the girls who play for teams in the MWEHL, like Honeybaked, NAHA, Shattuck St. Mary's, Colorado Select, Washington Pride, and Ohio Flames go on to play d1 women's hockey.

Otto , do you ever come up to Canada to play ?

I would love to take in a game

My daughter's Pride team went to Montreal last spring to "tune up" for the USA Hockey Nationals.

This spring they are looking at going out to Calgary. They were trying to arrange a trip to Germany to play European women's teams, but that plan apparently fell through.

They are looking into Expansion for next year actually , there is lots of interest. The only leauge that comes close with teams in the US is the WWHL , Western Womens Hockey Leauge. One great team (Oval Extreme ) the rest are not good at all.

They play a shorter season

Western Women's Hockey League- do you have any idea of what states those teams are in? Even if the teams aren't that good, they have to start from somewhere and I'm sure any of them are 10X better than what I play on now.

Otto, isn't U19 "under 19" though? I'm 26 and I think that's even aged out to play in the NCAA.

Im not saying this is right but I will tell what I have been told. One of my buddies is dating a gurl who is an elite womens player. She has been to numerous team canada camps, and will be on the team at some point. Anyways he was telling me that he was talking to her dad and he said straight up that our team (midget AAA) would be able to handle the women's olympic team. Like i said im not saying thats true, but it is what I have been told, and the source seems like a good one so i dont kno....

I can't watch the women's olympic teams play. Its boring hockey. I'm not saying I am better then they are, or they aren't good hockey players, but I'm not interested in watching top Men's semi-pro league hockey either. Nothing against them, I'm sure they are good atheletes, but I can't watch a Canada - USA game, which are they 2 best women's teams in the world. Just not for me.