Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EndBoards

Defensive angles & tactics..

I'm looking for advice on playing D. I've done it before, and even though I'm horrible at D my captains keep putting me there. It looks like that's going to happen again - but that's another topic..

I know the basics of playing D. The parts of the ice that I'm responsible for. The idea of keeping attackers out on the perimeter. That I'm supposed to cover the pass and let the goalie take the shooter. Problem is I'm not able to do any of that stuff effectively. Part of it is the fact that I'm outclassed by lots of skaters, but other not-so-great skaters hold their own a little better than I do. Also, some of the guys that do defend well don't really skate that fast, they just put themselves in a spot where the attacker runs out of options.

That's what I'm trying to figure out here. I'd like to hear some rules of thumb that coaches or instructors have shown you in the past.

I seem to remember reading that you're supposed to keep your outside shoulder lined up with the attackers inside shoulder. If a guy is going around me on the outside, when should I turn from skating backwards to skating forwards? Things like that are what I'm looking for help with..

When you're coming down 1-on-1 with a guy, focus on his stomach area. You'll probably be tempted to watch the puck, but don't. Also, rather than chasing a guy behind the net, cut him off around the other side (unless he has less than half a stick length on you).

Good luck! :)

~ Positioning is the key factor in playing D. Imagine the rink lengthwise and that there's a line in the middle, which creates 2 sides. If you're assigned to right D, stay on the right side and same with the left.

~ When clearing the puck, just look for a winger to pass it to.

~ Get hitting and get swinging.

~ Don't be afraid to block shots with your body. Remember, no fear.

~ Keep your head up and look for where the puck will be going. Try and intercept passes.

~ This is what I usually do during 1 on 1 situations. Make the opposing forward to make a move first. I'll make it seem I'm focusing on the puck, swing my stick and then hit him on the ground.

Watch your gap, it's probably the biggest way to prevent problems. By that I mean, don't back out of the zone too fast and give the other guy too much time and space. When you do that, you have to slow down and then it's hard to get back up to speed when the guy gets to you.

Watching the stomach is the single most important key to playing defense one one one. They can dangle all the want, but if you have decent size and speed, you can stand them up. Wherever their stomach/hips turn, so do they.

If a guy is going around me on the outside, when should I turn from skating backwards to skating forwards?

I'm in exactly same situation and I asked the exact same question tonight at pickup. In general, the advice I was given was that you never really turn and start skating forwards unless absolutely necessary.

1. As you said, keep to his inside so that you're forcing him to the perimeter.

2. If he's handling the puck well and just flat out blowing by you then chances are he's too deep to make a good shot. Peel towards the inside to take away the pass to a trailer.

3. If he's shakey lean into him and take him to the boards and/or follow him into the corner.

4. If he blows by you at the blue line, passes to another forward, who then passes it back to the first guy who spins in front of the net and goes top shelf for the game winning goal, buy your goalie a beer. :P