Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

beaver5

Chew...

I'm sorry for sounding dumb or anything, but what does dip do? Like does it give you some kind of energy? Or like, a buzz or what?

There is little fiberglass pieces in it and they cut your lip and the juices make you lightheaded.Thats what ive been told from friends. It causes a cancer caused luekoplaykia which is little white spots in your mouth,they can be anywhere under your toungeon your gums,etc.This cancer will eat away your gums and some cases,it gets so bad that the jaw bone may have to be removed.

Man, you do not want to dip/chew.

The fact that some companies put powdered glass in their product so the nicotine can be absorbed into the micro-lesions it causes in the mouth should be reason enough to stay away.

If that isn't enough, imagine losing your lips, tongue, teeth, chin and jaw to cancer because of dipping/chewing.

Now, consider whether a buzz is worth permanent disfiguration of your face.

im 16 now and ive been dipping for about a year or so. i know its bad , but nothing beats throwing in a dip with your buddies after a long day and just hanging out and talking , ive had some good times with chew.

The important question is whether you would have had similarly good times with your buddies if you weren't chewing. If the answer is yes, then the health risk obviously is not worth it.

I'm sorry for sounding dumb or anything, but what does dip do? Like does it give you some kind of energy? Or like, a buzz or what?

There is little fiberglass pieces in it and they cut your lip and the juices make you lightheaded.Thats what ive been told from friends. It causes a cancer caused luekoplaykia which is little white spots in your mouth,they can be anywhere under your toungeon your gums,etc.This cancer will eat away your gums and some cases,it gets so bad that the jaw bone may have to be removed.

Leukoplakia is the clinical term for a persistent white lesion. These lesions may or may not develop into a malignant oral neoplasm, which are usually squamous cell carcinomas (cancer). The lesions will usually present on the front of the tongue or lower lip (surprise, surprise) and yes, tobacco products are believed to be the primary cause of such malignancies.

The maligancies are not just confined to the mouth, however. In many many cases, neoplastic cells will metastasize to the regional lymph nodes. You'll be treated with surgery and radiation, and if you're lucky, you'll live to realize that chewing is a huge mistake. The 5 year survival rate for oral carcinomas or related neoplasms is only about 45-50%. So...don't smoke or chew! Oh, and I'm sorry to be such a downer. I dipped a few times when I was younger, but it just never caught on with me.

I tried it once years ago but i thought it tasted like ass. That was just around drinking with friends.

Lately though, I have seen a few guys with chew in the dressing room and I must say that it is seriously nasty. I can't possibly see the attraction to "dip", it makes you look really cool.....spitting into a water bottle, looking like someone punched you in face...where do I sign up :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, I wasnt looking into "dipping" or anything. I just wanted to know the effects so i could understand why guys would possibly affect their health.

I really wish I could quit. Kristin thinks that I am done, but I just don't do it in front of her...it's so hard to quit...

I can relate......I smoked pretty heavy for about 6 years......however, once you finally can quit, you wonder why you ever did it in the first place

You gotta give it up JR. I never like saying these things to people, but if you keep it up, odds are it's going to hurt you, or kill you. It's not meant as a scare tactic, but if you read the literature (actual longitudinal research on these things, not anti-tobacco propaganda) then it becomes clear that it's extremely likely you're going to pay to high a price for this crap. If you're fortunate enough to dodge oral cancer, there's a whole plethoria of other less deadly but still awful things that can happen. If you're on it that bad, treat it like smoking. Reduce your daily use, AND STICK TO THAT REDUCTION. A gradual weaning off will work very well, and will minimize adverse withdrawal affects, but it will only be successful if you've got the willpower not to break your quota.

how old are all you dippers?

around here 14 year olds or freshmen in highschool seem to be a high population of dippers around here.....i guess we just have too many rednecks!

people even dip in school during class!

around here 14 year olds or freshmen in highschool  seem to be a high population of dippers around here.....i guess we just have too many rednecks!

When does virtually ALL tobacco use start? 13-19 maybe?

I'm going to assume that nearly every one of these new users has heard about the health risks by the time they are first convinced to give it a try by one of their friends. Hell, my daughters are 7 and 9, and lost their grandmother to lung cancer, so at least 10 times a year I ask them "What's the best way to quit smoking?"...."To never start."

All their friends respond the same way, yet I guarantee them that a few of their friends will start smoking and try to pressure them to join them, call them chicken, etc. They all assure me they won't be the one to smoke, but I've gone to enough bars to know that unfortunately a few of them will, including possibly my daughters.

I can't be the only parent in America who warns his kids about the dangers of tobacco, so the eternal question is why do kids take up tobacco? As an adult, I think the answer is pretty obvious, but I remember being that age, so I'm not sure how many kids will fess up to it! :D

around here 14 year olds or freshmen in highschool  seem to be a high population of dippers around here.....i guess we just have too many rednecks!

When does virtually ALL tobacco use start? 13-19 maybe?

I'm going to assume that nearly every one of these new users has heard about the health risks by the time they are first convinced to give it a try by one of their friends. Hell, my daughters are 7 and 9, and lost their grandmother to lung cancer, so at least 10 times a year I ask them "What's the best way to quit smoking?"...."To never start."

All their friends respond the same way, yet I guarantee them that a few of their friends will start smoking and try to pressure them to join them, call them chicken, etc. They all assure me they won't be the one to smoke, but I've gone to enough bars to know that unfortunately a few of them will, including possibly my daughters.

I can't be the only parent in America who warns his kids about the dangers of tobacco, so the eternal question is why do kids take up tobacco? As an adult, I think the answer is pretty obvious, but I remember being that age, so I'm not sure how many kids will fess up to it! :D

Habit and to fit in. Also, as has been demonstrated by a lot of the posts on this thread, young people often times have a sense of invincibility. I smoked for probably about 6 months a few years ago. It started out just having a cigarette witha buddy on our break, and then peaked with me smoking nearly a pack a day for 3 months. I was able to quite, but even after smoking for that short of time, it was difficult, and I still have urges to smoke, particularly if I go out drinking. I am 23, to give this some perspective.

I'm pretty sure there is no fiberglass or powdered glass in Swedish snus. I had Skoal one time and prefer the snus (Skruf, Göteborg Rapé, General). I should probably quit too, but it has just become a habbit. I think that when I throw a rock under my lip it works just as good.

Guys on my senior team do it, but spit into a bottle, also 44 wannabe (on msh) is on my team and is partial to a good chew! I think it's pretty nasty though

A couple of guys who I used to work with would have chew during break, and then leave their spitters sitting in the break room. Just disgusting to find one of those things.

Chewing is absolutely horrible for you, if you ever choose to research it, I suggest not eating atleast an hour before so, the images you'll find are disgusting. I have been chewing for about three years now, and I started because my two best friends wanted me too. Wish I never had, I can't go two hours without a chew now, don't ever start...thats the only way to beat it

I'm pretty sure there is no fiberglass or powdered glass in Swedish snus. I had Skoal one time and prefer the snus (Skruf, Göteborg Rapé, General). I should probably quit too, but it has just become a habbit. I think that when I throw a rock under my lip it works just as good.

Before I believe Snus used to have little bits of 'fibreglass' to nick the gum a little. Not sure if it still does. General is pretty nice. Do you use the loose Snus or the pouches?

Don't do it, I can do it as I please, my buddys on the other hand, are almost addicted, in CT its only $4 a tin, but still, its not a good habit to have, you will get cancer eventually, and why do that to your self when you dont need to.

I do it on occasion. I've never bougth my own tin, but at tournaments and some parties I go to I'll take one from someone who offers. I never ask anyone though.