Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kovalchuk71

Weightlifting

I find it so hard to weightlift and play hockey at the same time. My muscles are so fatigued i cant take wrist shots lol.

you need to time it better then, or rexamine your routine and see if maybe you arent overdoing it. i lift 5 days a week and could play in the morning and lift in the afternoon no problem. and before you ask, yes i am lifting to my capacity, not taking it easy. i am also probably older than many of you. :)

as retarded as you may look doing it, how does simply running in place as fast/hard as you can work for explosiveness?...like tons of rapid steps

eh, there isnt resistance really if you are standing still. why not just sprint. sprinting and hill sprints especially are both excellent exercises.

Yeah.... planning has a lot to do with it. I try and get it to work but when im sore for 5 days in a row its tough.

Yeah.... planning has a lot to do with it. I try and get it to work but when im sore for 5 days in a row its tough.

what is your routine, reps and sets, lay it out for me.

well.. i dont have a SET routine yet. im just getting back to working out. Right now im just working different muscle groups and wont work them until i feel they are fully healed. but before when i was more intense, I would go heavy weights for about a month, and then switch it up to higher reps/sets and then back to heavy to keep my body off balance and force it to adjust to change. So, my body used to be alway aching. So i can be a little weak at times when i take shots and skate, etc.

well 48 hours is all you need. i know if i do heavy legs on wednesday, sometimes i have a rougher time on saturday, but i still workout on thursday and friday and arent fatigued. proper diet works as well and will greatly help with recovery. supplements dont hurt either.

Which of these two would be the better choice for forearm/wrist strength? Or is there a better way?!

http://www.gripstik.com/

http://store.net2fitness.com/wrde.html

Regarding the second item, you can make one of those with a short length of hockey stick, a rope, and some weight plates depending on how much you'd like to lift. All in all you could make it for $10.

Any one have any good forearm/wrist exercises good for hockey? I do the stick with the dangling weight just wondering if there are any other exercises that help my shooting and stickhandling.

Today I took your advice and decided to make my own wrist/forearm exerciser instead of paying 30+ for one online.....using approx. a 1.5 foot long, 1.5inch diameter wooden rod(i didnt measure), rope, duct tape,grip tape, a staple gun, and two 5.5lb weights, I created one for a whopping total of FREE! I drilled a hole in the rod, ran one end of the rope through it, tied/staple gunned/duct taped it to the rod....then used duct tape and a knot at the other end of the rope to hold the weights.......it's not very pretty, but it works like a dream....great burn.

xm252g.jpg

make the rope longer and do it standing on a chair or a step. you will really feel your forearms burn also try doin reverse curls with your hands facing down on the bar. keep your elbows still. light wight for that one just the bar or like 10 lbs, on either side will do

make the rope longer and do it standing on a chair or a step. you will really feel your forearms burn also try doin reverse curls with your hands facing down on the bar. keep your elbows still. light wight for that one just the bar or like 10 lbs, on either side will do

I think the rope is long enough for my height, the weight lays flat on its face on the floor when I hold the bar at an appropriate height...it looks short in that picture. I will do it standing on stairs though. There is no way I am going to be able to make any altercations to it, i staple gunned/taped the hell out of that thing, haha. Its 11lbs from the weight, but the amount of tape I used probably added a pound to it.

Squats, deadlifts etc. are considered essential for lower body training for hockey players. What would people consider the most important upperbody excersises for hockey players?

chinups? dips?

Squats, deadlifts etc. are considered essential for lower body training for hockey players. What would people consider the most important upperbody excersises for hockey players?

chinups? dips?

I'd say probably pull ups, bench, push press, anything thats a functional movement.

I find it so hard to weightlift and play hockey at the same time. My muscles are so fatigued i cant take wrist shots lol.

Yeah, that's apparently a common problem. I asked some of the older guys on my inline team who've been playing 10-20 years. The answer I got was "To get better at hockey, play more hockey." Honestly, this is the best advice you'll ever get. If you want more wrist strength, take 8 or 9,000 wristers in 6-8 weeks. I took a crap-load in two months and it helped me a lot. Want faster skating? You get the idea.

I've finally decided to get a gym membership, for weightlifting, after yrs of only doing cardio and Im an absolute wreck after 2 days. My "personal trainer" is a good friend of mine but he's been lifting hardcore for about 5 yrs and cant give good advice as to how to deal with the pain. We work on one general muscle group per day (with a little abs + cardio throughout) but after 1 day back, 1 day arms, I dont think I can take the chest exercises tomorrow. Today was a rest day.

anyone know the best strategy for dealing with that pain from just starting out?

are rest days the best strategy or do I just "skate hard" and play through the pain?

I've finally decided to get a gym membership, for weightlifting, after yrs of only doing cardio and Im an absolute wreck after 2 days. My "personal trainer" is a good friend of mine but he's been lifting hardcore for about 5 yrs and cant give good advice as to how to deal with the pain. We work on one general muscle group per day (with a little abs + cardio throughout) but after 1 day back, 1 day arms, I dont think I can take the chest exercises tomorrow. Today was a rest day.

anyone know the best strategy for dealing with that pain from just starting out?

are rest days the best strategy or do I just "skate hard" and play through the pain?

usually when skating or playing its hard to feel pain.

Mens health has a great program, it's called Homegrown muscle. Basically its a 1 year program that builds strength using compound exercises. These exercises not only strengthen your core muscles but can help with stability while on the ice

Im not talking about pain during hockey despite the hockey terminology. I sneezed at work today and thought my stomach had split open (ab pain). I tried shampooing my hair and couldnt raise my hands above my head after our back exercises. And its not like Im doing heavy weights, these are just muscles I rarely ever use. Im asking about the best strategy for continuing weightlifting

I use to be like that. I bought some Whey protien, and take it after my workout or an hour or two before bed, and wake up feeling great.

Im not talking about pain during hockey despite the hockey terminology. I sneezed at work today and thought my stomach had split open (ab pain). I tried shampooing my hair and couldnt raise my hands above my head after our back exercises. And its not like Im doing heavy weights, these are just muscles I rarely ever use. Im asking about the best strategy for continuing weightlifting

I think you've overdone it. Some soreness is good, but pain like that could be a sign of the muscles breaking down. In extreme cases your kidneys would be overloaded with your muscle protein and your urine would be brownish.

Haha! I hate being that sore. You just need to work through it. The first couple of weeks in a lifting program suck, but it will get better as your muscles adapt. Take an anti-inflammatory and go for a light jog or something. Keeping moving will help to keep you from stiffening up more.

I'm actually stuck in a problem where I think I play too much to allow any time for lifting. I don't know which would be more beneficial to me now, to play less and take up a nice routine...or just keep playing.

I'm actually stuck in a problem where I think I play too much to allow any time for lifting. I don't know which would be more beneficial to me now, to play less and take up a nice routine...or just keep playing.

I wonder about results with this. I've gotten into playing again since last fall, and been playing every week since Mid-January. Just playing routinely, and looking up skating technique online, I have legitimately improved my speed, probably 40%. I think taking time off playing to work out is something of a fallacy, since hockey works out so many different muscles and muscle groups. It'll be very difficult to exercise them all, even with a half dozen compound exercises.

That's what I figured, but people also tell me all hockey is really going to do is keep my strength, and that I need weights to build it. Seems to make sense.

you are doing cardio with hockey, so you will not build muscle, but you will burn fat, and you will refine your skills.