Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

D3nZ

3 More Years Of Koivu

Koivu just signed a 3 year deal with Montreal worth 14 mils. He also has a garantee in his contract that he will not be traded. So another 3 years of broken bones and him playing 40 games per season.

What the f*ck is Bob Gainey thinking ?? Koivu?? Worst captain ever! 5 years in montreal and can't even speak ONE word in french yet.

I really don't want to hear that shit.

Koivu is the heart and soul of that team on a team with alot of guys who play with no emotion. His playoff performences are a step above his regular season. His health has been a problem at times but I' ll take my chances knowing the Habs have the leader of the team locked up for 3 more years.

What the f*ck is Bob Gainey thinking ?? Koivu?? Worst captain ever! 5 years in montreal and can't even speak ONE word in french yet.

I really don't want to hear that shit.

Koivu is the heart and soul of that team on a team with alot of guys who play with no emotion. His playoff performences are a step above his regular season. His health has been a problem at times but I' ll take my chances knowing the Habs have the leader of the team locked up for 3 more years.

Yeah...I agree. Anyone who battles back from cancer like he did has the heart and soul of a real hockey player.

Ok, i respect your opinions, many people think like you. But don't tell me Saku Koivu is a LEADER in a hockey team (i've never been in the team so i cant be sure) but from what i've seen or heard from him, i don't think players respect him as a captain, they respect him as a good hockey player. Compare him to other captains in the league, or European captains if you want, i think he's no match to most of them.

But yea, he does have a big heart when it's time to play hockey.

and can't even speak ONE word in french yet.

what's the big deal about that? i just freaking hate it when "fans" in montreal write off players because they dont speak french. guys, they're here to play hockey first, not to chat with reporters after shitting the bed.

Ok, i respect your opinions, many people think like you. But don't tell me Saku Koivu is a LEADER in a hockey team (i've never been in the team so i cant be sure) but from what i've seen or heard from him, i don't think players respect him as a captain, they respect him as a good hockey player. Compare him to other captains in the league, or European captains if you want, i think he's no match to most of them.

But yea, he does have a big heart when it's time to play hockey.

He's a captain who leads by example. There are some guys who don't respect him on the team but those are guys who don't respect anyone other than themselves so it's not surprising. If some of the guys with more talent played with as much heart and determination as Saku does they wouldn't be out of the playoffs.

what's the big deal about that? i just freaking hate it when "fans" in montreal write off players because they dont speak french. guys, they're here to play hockey first, not to chat with reporters after shitting the bed.

I don't want him to write a game report in french but to me not even trying to say a word means "i don't give a damn about the 500 000 kids who love me". When you live in a city where you're a hero, it's only normal to try and learn those people's language. Do you guys know Lucian Bute (boxing prospect)? after 9-10 months in here he could talk to fans in french, people loved it. I agree that it doesn't change anything on the ice, but i think it's still important.

Btw i'll take the compliment but what's ethnocentric? Sorry i'm french. B)

I don't want him to write a game report in french but to me not even trying to say a word means "i don't give a damn about the 500 000 kids who love me". When you live in a city where you're a hero, it's only normal to try and learn those people's language. Do you guys know Lucian Bute (boxing prospect)? after 9-10 months in here he could talk to fans in french, people loved it. I agree that it doesn't change anything on the ice, but i think it's still important.

Btw i'll take the compliment but what's ethnocentric? Sorry i'm french. B)

You're saying he should learn to speak a third language that is only the primary language in 25% of the country? Not to mention it is the primary language in only one NHL city. Sounds like you are being a bit demanding.

You're saying he should learn to speak a third language that is only the primary language in 25% of the country? Not to mention it is the primary language in only one NHL city. Sounds like you are being a bit demanding.

I don't think i'm that demanding. Sure, it's pretty useless to learn french, an unused language everywhere for multi-millionaire Saku Koivu but he's been in Montréal for what, 5 years? ans now 3 more so why not just try? It's unreal to live a in a city for so long and not giving it a shot. It's primary language of only one NHL city but he plays in that city and guess what, hes captain. Sidney Crosby has no problems doing his interviews in french.

And beaver5, as far as i like arguing with others (the purpose of a forum right?) i think your comment is dumb and totaly useless. You didn't get the point here, my culture is far from being superior...

I never wanted to argue with you bud. Just wanted to state a point on what i saw.

You do make some good points as well. Take it easy.

later.

I don't think i'm that demanding. Sure, it's pretty useless to learn french, an unused language everywhere for multi-millionaire Saku Koivu but he's been in Montréal for what, 5 years? ans now 3 more so why not just try? It's unreal to live a in a city for so long and not giving it a shot. It's primary language of only one NHL city but he plays in that city and guess what, hes captain. Sidney Crosby has no problems doing his interviews in french.

And beaver5, as far as i like arguing with others (the purpose of a forum right?) i think your comment is dumb and totaly useless. You didn't get the point here, my culture is far from being superior...

And he could be traded at any time. It's not his fault that people in Quebec insist on using a different language than the rest of the continent. By the same logic everyone playing in Florida should learn Spanish in case someone wants to interview them in that language.

He is also playing very poorly this year.

I don't no what team your watching.

He pretty much singlehandedly beat the Leafs and is usually one of the Habs only offencive threats.

I agree, he's definetly not a dominant player in the NHL. The Habs need a new impact player, a new leader, the cup is untouchable with Koivu leading this team. They need a lot of new blood. Get rid of Zednik, Bulis, Sundstrom, Bonk, etc and it's gonna be a step closer to having a good team.

And Chadd, are you comparing french in Montréal to Spanish in Florida? I really can't see what same logic your're talking about...

And Chadd, are you comparing french in Montréal to Spanish in Florida? I really can't see what same logic your're talking about...

Never been to Miami, have you?

No i've never been to Miami. I believe some people speak spanish there but english is still the first language:

Number of people speaking spanish at home in florida: 2,476,528 people 16.46% of the population.

Number of people speaking french at home in quebec: 7,034,643 people 83.1% of the population.

No i've never been to Miami. I believe some people speak spanish there but english is still the first language:

Number of people speaking spanish at home in florida: 2,476,528 people 16.46% of the population.

Number of people speaking french at home in quebec: 7,034,643 people 83.1% of the population.

But the point is that English is also spoken in Canada. Koivu already learned English, you want him to learn French as well. Most NA NHL players that went to Europe during the lock out didn't bother to learn the native language. At least Koivu learned one of Canada's languages.