Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLIGHTNING

Paul Karyia

Why does it seem that Paul Karyia is never talked about much anymore ? He is a great player and deserves to be mentioned among the greats, yet it seems that he has faded away in the media ?

Kinda sad, I really think he deserved to be on the Canadian roster, he was so prominent on previous teams and now he is nothing ?

well when was the last time you heard much abou nashville? I'm surprised to find them so high up on the standings for one. I agree though, Kariya's been playing well enough, but i guess there's better players available.

Kariya just isn't putting up big enough numbers.

2005-06 58 19 39 58 -7

In the new NHL those aren't awesome numbers for a guy who brings nothing but offense to the table. And he is in tough because Heatley, Gagne and Smyth were locks for the team and all are left wings.

There are a bunch of players on team Canada's roster who aren't posting good numbers and aren't playing well at all -- wtf is Smyth and Doan doing there? St louis is struggling but he's been getting better, bertuzzi's been on and off all season but i guess it's ok because he's big (?).

Anyways, Paul Kariya's one of the main reasons why Nashville's up there in the standings and he's posting a point a game playing with guys like Yannic Perreault and Martin Erat on his line. If Kariya had some good linemates like Spezza/Alfredsson or Forsberg/Knuble, he'd be putting up big numbers too. It's a shame because Paul Kariya's thrives on the larger ice surface and always has been great for Team Canada -- he was a friggin monster in the last olympics.. too bad Lemieux fanned on all the great passes Kariya made to him. I just hope Paul doesn't get shafted in the next olympics in his home town Vancouver.

He's not fighting for a spot with any of the ones you mentioned, except for St. Louis. Doan's a checker, Smyths a leadership/ grit player, Bert's a power forward. St. Louis is coming off a Stanley cup and Hart Trophy, which is alot more than Kariya is. All that said, I would prefer him over Martin.

I hope Canada shit pumps everyone at the Olympics, then all speculation will be done. Who knows if it will happen but hey.. It's the guys who create these teams job to make Team Canada as good as possible. Not an armchair coach from Peterborough. I assure you they have a plan for having Smyth and Doan on the team. They have their scorers, and their grinders. Why would you have Paul Kariya on a 3rd line when you could have someone who is the best in the game in that role?

It's just like the World Juniors, everyone creamed their pants because Bryan Little, Carey Price, Brassard and Wolski didn't make it and look what happened..

quick:

How many guys on the team are under 6'? When in doubt they go with the bigger guy even if he's having an off year.

Canada is just sick deep.

Look at another no show in Tanguay 24G 42A - 66PTS.

Lots of other guys like him too.

I'll second that. The guy is just simply having a great year and with respect to Svatos hes been the best offensive player on a team with deep top end offensive talent.

I hope Canada shit pumps everyone at the Olympics, then all speculation will be done. Who knows if it will happen but hey.. It's the guys who create these teams job to make Team Canada as good as possible. Not an armchair coach from Peterborough. I assure you they have a plan for having Smyth and Doan on the team. They have their scorers, and their grinders. Why would you have Paul Kariya on a 3rd line when you could have someone who is the best in the game in that role?

It's just like the World Juniors, everyone creamed their pants because Bryan Little, Carey Price, Brassard and Wolski didn't make it and look what happened..

Canada seems to do this all the time, and I guess it is because they can...I still think Mike Fisher should be there over Draper...maybe cause he is a good old Peterborough Boy and gives his all every night with the Sens, maybe cause Draper hasn’t done too much this year, I don’t know. Don't even get me started on Doan, Smyth, etc...

Seems like lots of guys get looked over for the WJC as well, remember Corey Locke in 02-03 and 03-04, he tore up the OHL/CHL and was only invited to camp once! Was really surprised Wolski, Little and J. Staal weren’t there this year as well.

bertuzzi shouldnt of been in the olympics, only him and pronger can make penalties are the worst opportunities. Sad that the blues let him go, but that was also the reason why we couldn't win a cup.

quick:

How many guys on the team are under 6'? When in doubt they go with the bigger guy even if he's having an off year.

only 2 I believe, and about the same number for guys under 200lbs. That's a pretty clear cut indication what gameplan Canada is running with as far as player selection.

Canada seems to do this all the time, and I guess it is because they can...I still think Mike Fisher should be there over Draper...maybe cause he is a good old Peterborough Boy and gives his all every night with the Sens, maybe cause Draper hasn’t done too much this year, I don’t know. Don't even get me started on Doan, Smyth, etc...

Seems like lots of guys get looked over for the WJC as well, remember Corey Locke in 02-03 and 03-04, he tore up the OHL/CHL and was only invited to camp once! Was really surprised Wolski, Little and J. Staal weren’t there this year as well.

im glad im not the only one :(

LOL seems kind of funny looking at that post now!

Learn from the Russians guys like Crosby should have been there! Also no0one can argue that both Canada and the USA seemed to play a style of hockey not as 'free flowing' as other countries i.e to rigid a gameplan

Depends how you view "rigid". Canada was one of the only teams who didn't play a trap, the most rigid style of hockey possible. Lack of creativity on offense from the players, but how much of it was because of the type of players Canada produces and having to break through the trap? Every team had to face it, but Canada opted to defend in a unique style for the tournament.

Basically a Left wing lock where you send 1 forechecker into an area which forces him up that side, where the defense has players waiting an no options. Very difficult to beat.