Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLIGHTNING

Played in a mall ? NHL size rink

This weekend I played in a tourney in the middle of a Mall in Cambridge Ontario ? Really cool actually , NHL size , decient ice , huge score board.

Kinda wierd having people watch while they ate in the food court ? Only downfall was as the mall got busier the temp on ice got hotter.

Anyone else played in a mall ?

When I played HS hockey, my team practiced in a mall. I liked it because people would stop and watch what we were doing. The only bad part was the ice. The temp. was high and it made it difficult for the rink to have good ice. The ice was bad in the summer, but a little better during the winter.

The hockey classes my local rink offers are in a mall. The ice is only 3/4 regulation size unfortunately (which makes 5-on-5 scrimmages really clogged up), but the worst part is the climate control.

See, in a mall, the management wants the climate to be comfortable for the shoppers, who probably aren't wearing hockey gear, nor skating up and down the ice working up a sweat. This means that if you are wearing hockey gear and skating, it feels like it's about 120 deg F, all the time. You start sweating the minute you step onto the ice, even standing still.

And yeah, the ice is pretty roughed up. The zamboni doesn't have brushes, so the ice is really terrible in the corners, pretty bad along the walls, and halfway decent in the middle (assuming they've run the zamboni since the last public skate, anyway). You can kill yourself going into the corner and hitting a dip or a bubble.

That said, it's better than not skating or playing. ;) And I figure if I can learn to skate on that stuff I ought to do fine on a decent sheet (which they have, at their actual rink location).

Yea... in Montreal, or just outside of it, theres a rink in a mall along with an amusment park. Forget the name of it, was there last May.

Yea... in Montreal, or just outside of it, theres a rink in a mall along with an amusment park. Forget the name of it, was there last May.

Its outside Quebec City. or at least the one i was at was.i didnt play there tho.

My team plays all our home games and practices in a mall. Its nice but the ice is to soft from all the public skate and figure skaters that are on before us.

ya i played in the one in or outside of quebec for my pee-wee tournement it was really cool it just got kind of annyoing with all the people screaming above you in the roller coaster.

i've never played a game in a mall but practiced a couple times

if anyones been to the Palisades Center in West Nyack, NY they know how crappy the ice is

i hate it!!! it is soo friggin hot in the mall that the ice is so soft.

Seems that most Mall rinks have bad ice ? This ice was quite good , I wonder if it had anything to do with it being below floor level ?

I think it just depends on the management; whether they take the time and money to keep the ice in good shape.

Seems that most Mall rinks have bad ice ? This ice was quite good , I wonder if it had anything to do with it being below floor level ?

I think it just depends on the management; whether they take the time and money to keep the ice in good shape.

True, We were told that this rink is the most expensive in the area . Almost 5000.00 for a team to enter the leauge for a winter season.

Ice rental is around 200.00 for the hour

Its outside Quebec City. or at least the one i was at was.i didnt play there tho.

It's in Quebec City, it's called Les Galleries De La Capitale. Never played there but I went for a skate once.

Earlier this year my team played in a tournament and a couple of our games were in a mall. Worst ice I've ever skated on, and it was completely awkward seeing all the people eating and smelling the Chinese food made me starving.

At the Quebec Peewee tourney I played in a mall, it was pretty decent. For that tourney though, we actually had less fans than the rest of our games. So packed there. And the Oilers practice at West Edmonton Mall sometimes in the offseason.

i've never played a game in a mall but practiced a couple times

if anyones been to the Palisades Center in West Nyack, NY they know how crappy the ice is

i hate it!!! it is soo friggin hot in the mall that the ice is so soft.

I have played there, too. There is a huge post on the bench that you can't get around!

DC, I saw you on the ice last week vs NV!

It's in Quebec City, it's called Les Galleries De La Capitale. Never played there but I went for a skate once.

yeah, I have not played there but skated a couple of time. Just imagine a goal when everyone in the roller coaster scream, YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH,lol.