Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Dave

Bauer 5000

Bauer 5000 Helmet

I’ve been using this helmet for 2 years, and I think the only helmet I’d ever use again is the 5000.

Fit- The 5000 fits comfortably on my head. It can be adjusted tight enough to fit my head so it won’t move around, but loose enough that it won’t squeeze my head and give headaches (a problem I’ve had with other helmets). Also keep in mind that the fit of any helmet is P.P. 9/10

Protection- The 5000 is well-known for being one of the most protective helmets around. Probably not as protective as the Nike Quest or the 1052 but I’ve taken more than my fair share shots to the head with this helmet and no concussions to date (knock on wood). 9/10

Weight- The helmet is fairly light, probably somewhere between the Itech HC100 but definitely lighter than the CCM 1052. Weight isn’t really a big problem for me but this helmet is defiantly not that heavy. 8/10

Durability- I used the same helmet for a year and a half, and the shell and interior padding stayed intact well, considering I used it 5-6 times a week. Not a crack in the plastic. 8/10

Intangibles- I had to replace this helmet because the front jell-pack popped. Kind of annoying but the helmet served me well. I also wasn’t pleased with the colour selection, because my team is sort of in-between the two blue colours Bauer retails. Over all though, other than the jell-packs, not too bad. 8.5/10

Conclusion- If those jell-packs wouldn’t have popped this helmet would have been a 10/10 but because of that I’m going to have to drop the rating to a 9/10, overall a great helmet, that I would reccomend to anyone.:D

Bauer 5000 Helmet

FIT:

Adjustable, that makes it easier to get a snug fit. Well designed to fit the shape of my head. Softer padding cushions the hard foam at the pressure points for more comfort. Also very light. 8-10

PROTECTION:

Never thought it protected me more than any other helmet. I've also spoken with experts who feel that the hard padding does more harm than good. Of the kids I coached that got concussions this year, all of them were wearing these helmets. May be a coincidence, may not. 6-10

WEIGHT:

Fairly light and well balanced, no major complaints here. 8-10

DURABILITY:

I've had it for three years and have had a number of problems over that time. The hard foam cracked and I had to melt it back together around the right temple. The soft pads had to be reglued several times and even epoxy doesn't hold them in place very well. Cracks developed in the sides, probably from the pressure of my visor. I only used a visor from time to time and not constantly, so I wasn't impressed with that either. Slightly thicker plastic on the sides would have made a huge difference. 3-10

INTANGIBLES:

Nothing to speak of. N/A

CONCLUSION:

Fairly comfortable, dubious "extra protection" and a number of problems. There were a number of quality/durabillity problems with mine and even while I have had it for a while, I've been using others as well during that time frame. Not sure that I could recommend it, but it's all preference. 6-10

Bauer 5000 Helmet

Size-M

Test Cage- CCM Chrome

FIT:

I love the adjustable feature on this helmet, and it allows me to change it whenever needed. I love the gel packs, it kind of seems like a form fitted helmet if it's on tight enough. 9-10

PROTECTION:

Well, I have suffered a concussion in this helmet, but that was from a hit from behind, right into the boards. I was wearing this helmet. Otherwise, it is a very protective helmet IMO. 7-10 (PP)

WEIGHT:

Very light, no complaints here. 10-10

DURABILITY:

I have had two of these helmets so far, and the first one was crap I say. It didn't last very long at all. The next one I got, which was Christmas of 2004, has held up very well, although I haven't had very much playing time in it due to a dislocated knee in January 05. 5-10 for first helmet, 8-10 for second

INTANGIBLES:

I love the foam/gel packs in the helmet, have had no problems with them.

CONCLUSION:

I love this helmet. It is a very comfortable, and light helmet. I think I'm stuck on Bauer 5000 helmets from now on. 9-10

-Bauer 5000 Helmet

-Used with FM3000 Cage

Background-Had this helmet for 6 years, so it varies.

Fit- The fit on this helmet is awesome. I've had it for 6 years and have yet to change the size untill this year since my hair is a little longer. 9.5/10

Protective- I've played in this helmet in a contact league every year that I have had it, and have yet to suffer any type of head injury other than the odd headache. I played against guys 4 years my seniority, and this helmet was vital to keeping my small intellectual capabilities in tact. 9.5/10

Weight- Never had a problem. Never noticed a helmt too be heavy or light. 9/10

Durability- I'm now 16 years old, and have had it since I was 10. It has upheld well, the foam has stayed in sufficiently, nothing has broken or anything. It did get cracked last year by a guy pulling on the cage and ripping the screw area off. However 6 years out of a helmet is more than a person could ask for. 10/10

Intangible- The helmet was a revolution when I got it, as it came with the new foam. I have nothing but good things to say about it.

Conclusion- WHen I first bought this helmet, my dad bought it for me because I liked it's looks, and I had a few head problems before. It exceeded my expectations, and lasted me for a long period. It has suffered many blows, and save my noggen from a few concussions. I praise Bauer for a helmet made with as good of quality as this helmet turned out. Recommended. 9.5/10

Nike Bauer 5500 Helmet

Size-L

Oakley Pro 1/2 Straight

FIT:

Its very easy to adjust this helmet for whenever you need too, 2 easy locks and then slide. Also, the gel inserts are very soft and comfortable to have surrounding your head. 9/10

PROTECTION:

I play in a non-check league, but going with others reviews etc, i expect the protection in the helmet to be very good in the event i ever need it. 9/10

WEIGHT:

Adequately light, not really a big deal for me here. 9.5-10

DURABILITY:

The helmet seems to be holding up very well. I wear a skullcap inside my helmet so that does soak up alot of the sweat that would otherwise be going onto the gel packs, but i don't notice any sign of wear after about 50 hours of ice time already.

CONCLUSION:

This helmet has got to be one of my favorite. The comfort pads on the inside are very comfortable, the ease of adjustment, the durability, and also the looks of this helmet compared with some others is above par in my opinion, i would buy it again!

Bauer 5500 Helmet

Size-L

Cage- Initially an Itech Concept II full visor, now NBH 8500 Oval cage

FIT:

Great, I tried on multiple helmets including Mission intake (too tight on temples), RBK 8K (too wide). It's all PP really, this one happened to fit great on me (some 5500s fit great on me, others didnt) 9/10

PROTECTION:

I'm in a non-checking league but have had my falls, so far so good. 10/10

WEIGHT:

Fairly light, tho there were others on the market that were lighter but more expensive 8/10

DURABILITY:

Havent had an issue with them yet (knock on wood) and its been about 8 games now. I always take the helmet out of the bag after each game to let it dry out. 10/10 (though too soon to make final conclusion)

INTANGIBLES:

I'm in the military so I have my hair real short. I had an old CCM helmet and after 2 weeks without cutting my hair, id have to unscrew everything and adjust. With this helmet, its some simple flips and tugging. However, one beef I have with this helmet is that my head doesnt feel the wind blowing into it as compared to my old CCM. I changed to a cage which helped a little, but didnt direct wind onto my forehead as compared to the older gen CCMs. I'd like to try on a mission to see what other people are talking about tho.

CONCLUSION:

Great helmet, best I've ever had (i've owned the old ccms and the itech 1501)

9/10

side note: the NBH 8500 oval cage was a great addition, hardly notice the cage and the dri-fit cup is like GOLD.

NBH 5500 Helmet

Size Large

Oakley Pro Straight half visor

Fit - the oval size fits better for more rounded heads (vs the old CCM HT2 which were wedge). There is more room around the temples vs the CCM 1052 or the Mission Intake. Sizing is completely different than their 4000 range, so I'd recommend trying on if possible if upgrading. The gel padding is comfortable, and much better attached then the first generation of 5000's.

8.5/10

Protection - with the EPP and the gel comfort pads, there is ample amount of protection guarding the old noggin. I've taken a few hits to the helmet and fallen hard a few times (that stupid blue line tripped me) and so far, no head trauma. Whenever you take a hard hit to the head, double check the EPP for cracks, don't want a complete failure of the foam to put your head in trouble with the next hit (similar to bike helmets). I also like how the rear of the helmet comes a bit lower than other helmets and protects the back of the noggin better.

10/10

Weight - not as light as the Mission Intake, RBK 8K (which is like a cloud) or the new Easton, but still a light helmet thanks to the EPP.

8/10

Durability - me not likey the old foam on the 4000 series. It degraded and became like cement after a few years. Love the EPP foam (except when it cracks after a REALLY hard hit like my old 5000), but the overall excellent considering my old 5000 lasted me 5 years and my current 5500 is 2 years.

10/10

Intangibles - love how Bauer upgraded to the brass female screws in the front, and using a better epoxy for the gel pads (my old 5000 had a few problems). Very strong helmet and a light feeling. Only issue is the ventilation, I get hot during play and it's not as efficient as other helmets like the Intake. Also, they're still using a plastic female screw for the dome screw behind the ear...don't like that. Too easy to strip (saw a sales associate who screwed up a helmet when he didn't realize that).

8/10

Conclusion - good helmet considering price now compared to the 8500, 9500, Intake, Easton and 8K. Similar features and a lower price. Give 'er!

8.5/10

Cheers