Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lancerplayer

Off Ice Shooting

I want to start shooting off ice on a regular basis. I do not just want to shoot regular pucks, I want to add weight. I'm sure most of you have seen those weighted orange pucks. I was thinking of getting some of those but they are $3 a piece. I have another way of adding wieght, however. I have teammates that tape 2 or more pucks to the bottom of the shaft like where the blade enters the shaft. They said it works.

Has anyone had expierence in these techniques? Do you have any other ideas?

In your opinion what way would be more beneficial to improving my shot?

One thing to keep in mind about the weighted orange pucks is that you shouldn't take slapshots with them. If you do you'll destroy your stick. Wrist shots are fine, and I think that working with a weighted puck will really help build strength in your wrist. Taping pucks to your stick should work to increase your arm strength, but I don't know if it would work for your shot velocity. Seems as if you would be working to different sets of muscles. If you want to go that route, I've seen stick weights that were designed to wrap around the bottom of your stick.

there are those older stick weights that you strap on. theyre like $20. but i prefer the weighted pucks and i just got 5 lb pucks that i shoot around with. also you should stick handle too with a golf ball thats really fun.

I think you have it all backwards! You do NOT shoot heavy pucks! You line up 10 regular pucks in a row and shoot them all as quickly as possible. You are trying to develop fast twitch muscles to get the shot off quick and hard.

Would it matter if I use and older stick or should I try to use a stick that is the same to my stick that I use all the time?

For example my stick that I use all the time is an SL 85 flex Madono. The stick I will be using is Syngergy Grip 75 flex Madono.

if youre talking to me it wouldnt hurt but if you ever wanted to take out the sand just flush it out with water and use a hair dryer to get rid of whatever water drops are left in it.

I think you have it all backwards! You do NOT shoot heavy pucks! You line up 10 regular pucks in a row and shoot them all as quickly as possible. You are trying to develop fast twitch muscles to get the shot off quick and hard.

As long as you're shooting the puck as hard or fast as you can, it's not bad.

what i did is i got a crappy octane shaft and put sand in it and it really works i suggest doing it if you have an old shaft

i tried this with an old aluminum shaft.... it was a TANK

Someone else suggested to me to tape a bunch of pennies onto the stick. I think they said around 30 or something like that. You can add as many as you want I guess til it feels heavy enough. At least it's a cheap way to weight your stick and you can use your usual stick too.

Someone else suggested to me to tape a bunch of pennies onto the stick. I think they said around 30 or something like that. You can add as many as you want I guess til it feels heavy enough. At least it's a cheap way to weight your stick and you can use your usual stick too.

I heard of people doing that too. I might give it a try.

But guys, overall what method do you think I would benefit most from?

Someone else suggested to me to tape a bunch of pennies onto the stick.  I think they said around 30 or something like that.  You can add as many as you want I guess til it feels heavy enough.  At least it's a cheap way to weight your stick and you can use your usual stick too.

I heard of people doing that too. I might give it a try.

But guys, overall what method do you think I would benefit most from?

How about you try them all and then let us know which you like the best? :D

I think you have it all backwards!  You do NOT shoot heavy pucks!  You line up 10 regular pucks in a row and shoot them all as quickly as possible.  You are trying to develop fast twitch muscles to get the shot off quick and hard.

As long as you're shooting the puck as hard or fast as you can, it's not bad.

thats it.

All you have to do is to shoot pucks, even with a normal stick and a normal puck. Your better to shoot 100 times a day with the good technique than 1000 with a bad one.

most nhl playes shoot 3-4 hundred pucks per day or something like that, you can try weighted pucks etc but all I tell my players is to work on technique+ go from there but always focus on technique

most nhl playes shoot 3-4 hundred pucks per day or something like that, you can try weighted pucks etc but all I tell my players is to work on technique+ go from there but always focus on technique

who told you that, I don't think MOST NHLers shoots pucks.

dunno, read it somewhere but they shoot a few huindred each time in training, Ive got shit from life so I dont care any shit others have to say right now

dunno, read it somewhere but they shoot a few huindred each time in training, Ive got shit from life so I dont care any shit others have to say right now

Where are you from, the only person/player from the habs I've seen shooting pucks after a practice was Kovalev and he was not even close to hit the 150 pucks 75-100 at most.

its cuz fleury is trying to work off his hangover

but kovy, a lot of guys do in the summer, they dont skate as often but always shoot. i know for example, wehn lindros is healthy, hes hammering pucks, and so are others.

sorry people just ive found out I could possibly have cancer+ Im trying to figure out whats happening

That was weird.....

Anyways, should I get one of those pieces of plastic that is supposed to replicate on ice shooting or is that just a wast of money?

its cuz fleury is trying to work off his hangover

but kovy, a lot of guys do in the summer, they dont skate as often but always shoot. i know for example, wehn lindros is healthy, hes hammering pucks, and so are others.

That was a low blow. Theo's a great guy once you meet him and has a great personality.

But yeah, I won't go into that. Just keep experiment with shot techniques and find the one that works with you. My slapper used to be really bad and never got it off the ice until I found a way to do it and keep it consisent. Too bad it keeps shooting wide on the left...