Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Motorcycles

So I've been riding for about a year, mostly on a borrowed bike from a friend, and its time for me to buy my own bike. I'm not 100% sure which style I'm going to go with. I'm thinking either something like this:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2010_SprintST...10SprintST.aspx

or something like this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Conte..._US#/model/fxdc

Obviously, they're two very different types of bike. I've always like the sportbike look, which is why I like the Triumph because it looks sporty but has touring qualities too. But at the same time I like the Harley look too.

What do you guys think?

I have had four street bikes before I finally went Harley. All I can ask my self is, WHY? Why did it take so long! So much more enjoyable for me! Sport bikes are fun for the rush, but Harley's are the best for the ride! If it does not make sense, it will once you ride one.

Please don't over spend on a Harley. If you like that style there are much cheaper, and better bikes from the likes of Honda and Yamaha.

puckhoggy....yes I wear earplugs. I wear a full face helmet. If I am going to be riding for long distances or extended highway riding, I wear them. They help to cut down on the wind noise.

Skyscape.... I have a Triumph Street Triple. I have ridden the Sprint ST. Its very nice. It is a sport touring bike. So it has an neutral seating position. Its comfortable to ride long distances. It's very nice. Its basically a sportbike with comfortable seating and luggage. I came close to getting one. I take motorcycle trips so the touring features of the Sprint would be nice. I decided to get the Street Triple instead. I love it.

The Sprint was more money and insurance costs. Although the dealer was going to give me a incredible deal on the bike. I mean a steal! I previously had an SV650. The Sprint is physically a much bigger and heavier bike than I was used to. I thought for around town and commuting the Sprint would be too big. I thought a midpower bike would be better for me. It's a great bike though. I still have think "what if" about that bike. You should find great deals on them since Triumph is coming out with a new version.

puckhoggy....yes I wear earplugs. I wear a full face helmet. If I am going to be riding for long distances or extended highway riding, I wear them. They help to cut down on the wind noise.

Skyscape.... I have a Triumph Street Triple. I have ridden the Sprint ST. Its very nice. It is a sport touring bike. So it has an neutral seating position. Its comfortable to ride long distances. It's very nice. Its basically a sportbike with comfortable seating and luggage. I came close to getting one. I take motorcycle trips so the touring features of the Sprint would be nice. I decided to get the Street Triple instead. I love it.

Triumph makes an amazing motorcycle! You will love it!

Please don't over spend on a Harley. If you like that style there are much cheaper, and better bikes from the likes of Honda and Yamaha.

To each his own. Telling people not to overspend on here is like saying do not buy total ones because ccm makes great skates for less money.

I love my Harley and would not take a honda or yamaha over her. Just my opinion though. Besides My harley was not that much more than a comparable honda or Yamaha. 15,500 for a brand new 09 Fat Bob Denim Black.

In fact it was only 1500 more than the comparable honda and less than a comparable Yamaha. Plus, neither of them look or sound like my Harley. SOmething about a harley.

Triumph makes an amazing motorcycle! You will love it!

To each his own. Telling people not to overspend on here is like saying do not buy total ones because ccm makes great skates for less money.

I love my Harley and would not take a honda or yamaha over her. Just my opinion though. Besides My harley was not that much more than a comparable honda or Yamaha. 15,500 for a brand new 09 Fat Bob Denim Black.

In fact it was only 1500 more than the comparable honda and less than a comparable Yamaha. Plus, neither of them look or sound like my Harley. SOmething about a harley.

The initial cost is not what I'm talking about. I own a Buell. The sports bike manufacture that Harley recently closed down despite impressively increasing sales and years of development. The sucky part about the whole thing, even though I got a screaming deal on the bike due to the closure, the maintenance costs that Harley charges are OUTRAGEOUS compared to other shops. The reason being they know, Harley owners are going to go to Harley dealers to service their bikes.

For a tire and the labor rate to get it put on at Harley was going to run me $330 bucks. Purchasing the tire and getting it put on at a shop called Bikers Bay was $200. Same tire. $130 difference for just a tire change is ridiculous.

Mine is a Big Dog 2003 Chopper. Bought it used with only 11K on it for miles. Original owner paid over 30K for it. I paid 12k.

IMG_0410.jpg

You can get some amazing deals on bikes right now.

Bikes are so personal, none are better, depends what look you like an what kind of ride you like. Me, I like a smooth, quiet comfortable ride so Harleys are not for me. I rode my bro-in-laws and hated it. I don't like crotch rockets either. I love classics, my 81 Honda CM400 and 77 CB750 are what I like.

I had a honda hawk years ago, and loved it.

I occasionally think about getting another bike, but I'm reminded of more than a few folks I knew fairly well that were killed riding, and that was in the good old days before dialing a cell phone apparently became mandatory after turning the key in the ignition. I've too many responsibilities to loved ones to be riding these days.

So I just look enviously at the 2 wheeled folks I see on the roads, particularly the old classics like the honda CBs.

The initial cost is not what I'm talking about. I own a Buell. The sports bike manufacture that Harley recently closed down despite impressively increasing sales and years of development. The sucky part about the whole thing, even though I got a screaming deal on the bike due to the closure, the maintenance costs that Harley charges are OUTRAGEOUS compared to other shops. The reason being they know, Harley owners are going to go to Harley dealers to service their bikes.

For a tire and the labor rate to get it put on at Harley was going to run me $330 bucks. Purchasing the tire and getting it put on at a shop called Bikers Bay was $200. Same tire. $130 difference for just a tire change is ridiculous.

Very true. So don't go to the Harley Dealership for service is a better way to put it than do not buy a harley?

Very true. So don't go to the Harley Dealership for service is a better way to put it than do not buy a harley?

Nope. Harley parts are ridiculously expensive. The best way to avoid the overcosts is to avoid the bikes. This is coming from a person who's family owns 4 Harleys and a Buell.