Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Motorcycles

I just bought a bunch of mx stuff today on motorcycle-superstore.com

They have great deals and offer free shipping after you spend $100. Better yet, you can get an extra 10% off if you go sign up with geicoprivileges.com (and you don't even have to be a geico customer!)

Basically got myself a free street jacket (or a mx helmet), however you want to look at it.. :)

Zamp FC-2 in black - was the helmet I ordered. Anyone have any experience with Zamp?

Got my first bike when I was 7. raced MX from 9 to 16, raved enduro/hare hound from 17 to 40... 42 now and just trail ride...

My current bike is a '02 Cannondale E-440 and a '05 Honda Gold Wing.

But 55,000 miles on the Gold Wing so far.

A friend of mine just got his Busa back, turbo-charged, lays down 500hp at the rear wheel. Next time I'm over there I'll try to get some pics, it's disgusting, in a very good way :wub:

Yeah, the turbo busa's are sick. My cousins bike made 417 RWHP on pump gas this week on the dyno, to say it's rediculously fast is a bit of an understatement. We went out crusing with a lot of fast cars and bikes last night (700 RWHP SP74 Supra, 750 RWHP KB/Nitrous 03 cobra, 650 RWHP naturally aspirated 69 camaro, nitrous'ed R1) and I drove my cousin's TT 95 mustang. Racing the bike on pump gas he gave me a huge jump from a 60 MPH roll on. I wound out through third gear to about 100, and his bike was a spec in my rear view. Took about 5 seconds for him to totally reel me in hanging the front tire, then I let off at ~165 on the GPS and I could barely make out his brake light down the road.

He used to race a drag radial mustang several years ago that went high 8's @ 150 MPH. He said the acceleration from this bike from a 60 MPH roll felt like launching off the line in that car. The only problem people are having with these turbo busas at bonneville and the like is there really arn't any tires designed to take the 250+ MPH speeds these street bikes are capable of.

I just saw someone eat it on the way into work. odd thing is he was riding next to me for about a minute or two and I was thinking to myself "I need to get a bike sometime soon" well I guess he got bored but he started picking up speed and weaving through traffic, took a left turn to get on the highway and lost it ended up sliding on pavement 25-30 feet with bike. wasn't wearing a helmet...wasn't even wearing pants...just pair of shorts and a tank top. he looked like he was in some pain but still more worried about what a jackass he looked like . anyhow a couple of people stopped to make sure he was ok.. I just kept going since I was running late.. the guy was atleast 40 on a shadow before anyone assumes it was a 18 yr old on a sport bike

wow.. wonder how he was. I saw a guy just after he fell on the freeway (70mph) earlier this month on my way to the Canucks Stars game. He was on the other side of the freeway and he was wearing a helmet and leathers. No brains or anything mushed out on the road that I could see.

I was doing a computer system inventory for the local hospital a bunch of years ago when they brought a guy who had a motorcycle accident into the OR. It was one of the nastiest things I've ever seen in my life.

So im getting into motorcycling, and wanted any MSH input on what gear to look for....

Depends on what you're doing. Track riding, commuting, or twisties?

Depends on what you're doing. Track riding, commuting, or twisties?

commuting lol ... in my haste i picked up gloves and toe sliders for the boots i want even before taking any of the motorcycling courses lol...

really want a 250R ninja :unsure:

For commuiting a Jacket, gloves, and boots would be ideal. Some would say you HAVE to have riding pants, but lets face it, those are very thick and uncomfortable in the heat. I wear Jeans.

Kate! Come on, SAFETY FIRST!

(You should do what the Lightning EQM did for Marek Malik. He had a scooter, and the EQM took ahold of his helmet and put TBL, NHL shield and his number stickers on it. :P)

Kate! Come on, SAFETY FIRST!

(You should do what the Lightning EQM did for Marek Malik. He had a scooter, and the EQM took ahold of his helmet and put TBL, NHL shield and his number stickers on it. :P)

Oh, I have a helmet, it's shiny and it makes me look really cool.

For commuiting a Jacket, gloves, and boots would be ideal. Some would say you HAVE to have riding pants, but lets face it, those are very thick and uncomfortable in the heat. I wear Jeans.

I know what I should look for, but wanted additional advice on what brands I should focus on when it comes to a particular gear.

Also for those who do maintenance of their own bikes, did you always know how to work your way around cars, etc.? or did you pick it up?

Im totally non-mechanical, so I would be learning from scratch.

Oh sorry, as far as brands Alpinestar is a big name. Icon and Joe Rocket make some good jackets. If you have the coin, Bell Helmets are amazing!

www.webbikeworld.com has some great reviews on gear.

Depending on the budget, Alpinestars and Dainese are arguably the best on the market. Like IniNew said, Joe Rocket and Icon are pretty solid and relatively affordable. I personally like AGV helmets, but that really comes down to which style you like as well as how much you are willing to spend for various options such as composite construction and so on.

Are you purchasing a sport bike or a cruiser/standard? I take my bike to the shop for maintainence and service as I don't have enough confidence in my mechanical skills to take that chance.

SUOMY helmets, love them, mine saved my butt a couple of times. One mroe vote for JRocket racing leathers, years years old and still going strong. Micron exaust, though the "not legal for street use" labels are getting bigger and bigger...

check out www.newenough.com for gear. They are great.

For maintenance pick up a Haynes or Clymer book for your bike. They make repairs a lot easier. There will be plenty of things you can do yourself. Oil changes, fluids etc.

Here's my ride. I get 70 miles to the gallon on this hog.

scoot.jpg

Nice Boots!

any of you guys/girls wear ear plugs when riding? or no?

I wear them when I ride. When I rode sport bikes I usually listened to my IPOD.

Joe Rocket are popular jackets. I use to have a First Gear jacket back in 94. It was made well. Not sure how they are now. Helmets: Shoei and Arai make good helmets but pricey. Recommend wearing at least jeans and a high cut style boot when riding. I didn't use ear plugs as I didn't want anything besides my helmet blocking out other vehicle horns, etc. Sure miss my 95' VFR750.

So I've been riding for about a year, mostly on a borrowed bike from a friend, and its time for me to buy my own bike. I'm not 100% sure which style I'm going to go with. I'm thinking either something like this:

http://www.triumph.co.uk/usa/2010_SprintST...10SprintST.aspx

or something like this:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Conte..._US#/model/fxdc

Obviously, they're two very different types of bike. I've always like the sportbike look, which is why I like the Triumph because it looks sporty but has touring qualities too. But at the same time I like the Harley look too.

What do you guys think?