Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ItsAWar

John Vanbiesbrouck's Mask

Yo this has been on my mind forever. Does anyone know what type of mask John Vanbiesbrouk used to wear? I think someone told me it was an Armadillo or something like that. Thanks.

Theres one on ebay right now kinda pricey though...http://cgi.ebay.com/Kevlar-goalie-mask-Armadilla_W0QQitemZ7229139033QQcategoryZ79762QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Armadillo once use Titanium as their cages...because it was so light, but they would break at the weldings, so they eventually stopped making them.

i've never used or even touched one but I hear they are really strong and really lightweight because they used carbon fiber instead of fiberglass/kevlar.

Kelly used to play in a combo but did appear in the armadilla near the end of his career.

Use of titanium had nothing to do with the end of production of these masks. It was a combination of factors, not the least of which was the cost of the masks which not alot of people wanted to pay. That, coupled with the success of don's other business, lead to the discontinuance of his masks.

::m

Lightweight and comfort were supposedly the reasons for it's rave reviews. However uber high costs and Don's success in autoracing as mentioned were why he got out of the mask making business. Back then the mask was SUPER light compared to anything else on the market. Hrudey wore one in his final days with the Kings (killer paint job too) and then in his Shark days. It was the only mask he ever wore and what got him out of the Jofa combos.