Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BK

Illegal substance abuse on your team?

Have you ever had a player on your team (including yourself) take illegal performance enhancing substances? This is stricktly anonymous.  

97 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is for a report I am writing. Here is the background of why I am asking.

A hockey team that I have worked for (I was the marketing supervisor) was in dier need of funding for the next season. At the beginning of the season, it didn't look like they would be able to go to the regional tourney at the end of the season unless the players payed the bill. The total fees looked to be around $800 per player (which is crazy for a college team). The team was associated with the school, but due to NCAA regulations, they were not recognized as anything but a club. This led to us looking outward for sponsorship.

Dispite the fact that I was the supervisor of marketing, the teams general manager went over my head and got a big sponsor. It was a vitamin company local to the area and they would sponsor us an almost imaginable amount of money in return for banners, jersey logos, game announcements and the contracted testing of non-fda approved "vitamins". The offer was too good for our general manager to turn down.. lets just say that even after player fees, new jerseys (custom designed), top end goalie gear for all 3 goalies and all player fees payed, there was still a nice chunk of change in our team bank account. The only kicker was that our players (if they chose to do so), could take part in the clinical test of substances that were not on the market and were FAR from fda approved. This was not a big deal, due to the fact that it was mostly vitamins.

Near the end of the season, tradegy struck with the death of a teammate on the ice. He slid in to block a slapshot and took a shot to center chest. The puck compressed his heart and caused heartfailure. Now that it is over, the rumors of team substance abuse is floating around the community. I was asked to write an internal report and I thought this would be good to add to the report.

If this is against any rules, please remove this thread.

PLEASE KEEP THIS ANONYMOUS. PLEASE DO NOT MENTION PLAYER NAMES, TEAM NAMES, OR ANYTHING THAT COULD GET SOMEBODY IN UN-NEEDED TROUBLE. If you think you shouldn't post something, don't post it.

Thanks.

this may not help but im only on a Bantam/HS and i think its a little young of an age to start shootin up roids, i havent seen or heard of anything, but if there is its got to be at higher levels where players have recognition and hook ups for the sort of stuff

supplements are not fda approved. thats why "these statements have not been approved by the fda" is required to be in those ads. i doubt anything illegal went down.

that being said, in college a player on my team was trying to score some steroids, but he never did, and had no knowledge of them. so i have no experience with the situation other than that.

this may not help but im only on a Bantam/HS and i think its a little young of an age to start shootin up roids, i havent seen or heard of anything, but if there is its got to be at higher levels where players have recognition and hook ups for the sort of stuff

you would be surprised how many teens buy supplements that are readily available that are nothing more than methylated steroids sold as normal supplements.

Since I am a beer leaguer most of the people I have played with who have had stubstance issues outside of hockey and its mostly recreational drugs and alcohol. I did play with a couple of guys who liked the sudafeds though.

One player I knew took Roids for football, another just wanted to get juiced. Although the second one was just trying to get a hold of them, not sure if he ever succeeded.

When I played 10+ yrs ago, there weren't too many available.

I can tell you that there were Illegal substances were used, but they weren't performance enhancing. :lol:

Same here. Some teammates do recreational stuff.

One of the guys on our team was a DEA agent. When we car-pooled up to Vail, let's just say that he didn't want to know what was going on in the other car... ;)

Only weed and weed products used in my dressing room.

They actually do the drugs in the dressing room, or are you saying within the team?

They actually do the drugs in the dressing room, or are you saying within the team?

Of all people, BC boy, you should be asking this the least. I starting playing in Kalso, then played for a few years in Campbell River. Weed was more common than chew in the locker rooms. And that was in Grade 1 - Grade 12.

Out here (MidWest States), it's totally reversed: there's more chew than weed.

I don't think that weed is performance enhancing, but it sure settles your nerves. I know a lotta d-guys that swear by it. One joint right before you hit the ice. Personally I don't smoke anymore, but it's kinda a weird twist in the whole "performance enhancing" discussion.

Whoops, sorry, I saw the title of the thread about illegal substances, but was in a rush yesterday and scanned over the question in the poll about whether they were performance enhancing.

Playing in adult rec, we've had a couple of heavy pot smokers, as well as two players one season who worked for EAS. Those two obviously had access to whatever products EAS sold. Other than that, I haven't seen much substance abuse at the adult level, although after the games it has been sad to see one or two guys who seem like they are headed down the road to alcoholism.

I played one game with a guy who was a big user of Roids, he was a bouncer at a peeler bar and a chamion kick boxer. This guy was just massive , he could never stay out on a shift long nor could he score many goals. His major deal was with a ref, he would just spout off at anything the ref said, I was told that he beat the crap out of a ref once for making a call against him.

All in all, he was a detrement to the team as his temper took over any skill he may have had. Ya can't score from the box !

He had to have a smoke to calm his nerves before he even got his gear off !

I've seen a kid go from a soft 145 lbs to a rock hard 170 lbs in the matter of 48 days. And during that time span his temper changed drastically. I never asked nor did he ever tell, but I cant help but think he did them.

Well if you count weed as a illegal substance everybody uses an illegal substance :P Weed is smoked legal over here...

Of all people, BC boy, you should be asking this the least. I starting playing in Kalso, then played for a few years in Campbell River. Weed was more common than chew in the locker rooms. And that was in Grade 1 - Grade 12.

Out here (MidWest States), it's totally reversed: there's more chew than weed.

I don't think that weed is performance enhancing, but it sure settles your nerves. I know a lotta d-guys that swear by it. One joint right before you hit the ice. Personally I don't smoke anymore, but it's kinda a weird twist in the whole "performance enhancing" discussion.

I've palyed hockey for longer then I can remember and even though I live in BC, I've never seen marijuana used withing my dressing room. In my town hockey players aren't the ones who toke, very few do in fact. We leave that to the skids.