Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

notorious#29

Shootout Rules

Had a bit of an argument tonight over a shootout rule. Me and a few buddies were having a shootout just for fun, but of course competitive nature took over, and an argument started over my goal. I started by skating to the goalies right (I'm a lefty shooter) once I hit the middle of the circle I did a head/leg fake to freeze the goalie (here's where the argument started) Right after my leg fake, I cut to the middle and I went to rip a quick shot, but I mishandled the puck and it slipped away from me and flopped next to my skate, I kept skating forward and just reached my stick back, scooped it back up and beat the goalie high glove. Now everyone else said that since I mishandled, my shot was over, no goal. But since I never stopped the pucks forward movement, and I never stopped skating forward myself, it's still a goal is it not?

say your a righty, you come in from the right and you cut in front of the goalie but you do a hard stop and you pull the puck to your forehand to tuck it in.

Does that count?

No the puck must continue to move forward. Doesn't matter if you control it, but it must move towards the net you're shooting at.

This is a little questionable... what if i toe-drag it WAY back, right in front of the goalie? What if I pull it back on my backhand to beat the goalies poke-check? I'm sure there are cases where the puck technically moves significantly away from the net. Maybe I'm wrong.

According to the USA Hockey rulebook:

Once the player taking the shot has touched the puck, it must be kept in motion towards the opponent’s goal line and once it is shot the play shall be considered complete.

That would seem to imply that a toe drag that pulls the puck backwards will abort the penalty shot.

Whether any given official would call it that way is tougher to say.

Of course, the rulebook/casebook also says this:

However, once the puck is touched by the player taking the

shot, if possession and control is lost and it travels toward the

opposite goal or comes to a stop, the Referee shall have no

alternative but to terminate the penalty shot attempt.

which seems to imply that the player can move the puck toward the opposite (non-shooting) goal or stop it, as long as it remains under control, without aborting the shot.

:shrug: Chadd? How would you call it?

Ive never heard of this rule because I dont think its true. If you drop the puck or you bring it way over or behind its prob. hurting you more then the goalie. plus Ive seen alot of people drop the puck on accident and still keep control and get their shott off.

Had a bit of an argument tonight over a shootout rule. Me and a few buddies were having a shootout just for fun, but of course competitive nature took over, and an argument started over my goal. I started by skating to the goalies right (I'm a lefty shooter) once I hit the middle of the circle I did a head/leg fake to freeze the goalie (here's where the argument started) Right after my leg fake, I cut to the middle and I went to rip a quick shot, but I mishandled the puck and it slipped away from me and flopped next to my skate, I kept skating forward and just reached my stick back, scooped it back up and beat the goalie high glove. Now everyone else said that since I mishandled, my shot was over, no goal. But since I never stopped the pucks forward movement, and I never stopped skating forward myself, it's still a goal is it not?

The puck must be kept in motion towards the opponent's goal line and once it is shot, the play shall be considered complete. No goal can be scored on a rebound of any kind (an exception being the puck off the goal post, then the goalkeeper and then directly into the goal), and any time the puck crosses the goal line, the shot shall be considered complete.

Taken from the NHL rulebook. My interpretation of your play, since you lost control of the puck while shooting, you cannot recover the puck and shoot again. The play is dead and your goal doesn't count.

Since the puck never went on goal or past the end line when you fanned on it I would say it was a goal. With the toe drag, no problem with that. As for the situation where you come to a full stop, that would probably get blown down.

I knew about that rule but it's never really come into play for me. I just don't understand though, why do moves such as toe drags, Datsyuk's heel drag, and the beanpot count when the puck moves backwards?

idk, I'd have to see the play to make my decision. But if you clearly made a shot attempt then it's a no goal.

Datsyuk's heel drag

whats that??

Heel Drag.

wow, that was sick! I think that basically as long as the player has control of the puck that it should count(as long as the player is moving towards the goal line).

Because the player still has control of the puck.

Yes, but it shouldn't count according to the rules. Regardless, I think moves like that are sweet and should be allowed, but I'm just wondering why they do count if the rules state that they shouldn't.

Datsyuk's heel drag

whats that??

Heel Drag.

wow, that was sick! I think that basically as long as the player has control of the puck that it should count(as long as the player is moving towards the goal line).

That is probably the most effective shootout move ATM. Datzuk has schooled goalie after goalie with that one, I'm surprised when he DOESN'T use it in a shootout now.

Because the player still has control of the puck.

Yes, but it shouldn't count according to the rules. Regardless, I think moves like that are sweet and should be allowed, but I'm just wondering why they do count if the rules state that they shouldn't.

Look at where I quoted the US Hockey rulebook above--it appears to state that the puck can move backwards, as long as the player still has control and is still moving towards the goal line.

(Otherwise just stickhandling on your forehand -- which generally causes the puck to move forward and backward -- would be illegal too.)