Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

analog999

Concussions

Never been diagnosed with one, but I slammed my head on the ice tonight at the stick and puck when I was skating backward. I got right back up and wasn't dazed or anything, but about an hour or so after I got off the ice I got (and still have) a mild head-ache. Just wondering if anyone who was diagnosed with a concussion had a similiar situation... edit btw, I was wearing my helmet edit again but not my mouthguard! :wacko:

I am not a doctor and I really think you should see one. That being said, my concussions involved nausea, diziness, blurred vision and other weird things. For example I went home to study afterwards and could only read in German :wacko:

I did not even really speak or read German that well.

One of my more serious ones had me very very tired. that is why they keep waking you up in the hospital every fiteeen minutes for the first two days you are there for a concussion. Each one is a little different, but I don't think you want to risk not seeing a doctor. One other symptom that I had was unequally dialated pupils. ie: one is big while the other is either normal or very small.

I am actually pretty normal considering all my head injuries, seirujni ym lla gniredisnoc lamron ytterp yllautca ma I. :D .

You should always wear a helmet, good thing you were.

Here are a few links I found:

http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00320.html

http://mdmd.essortment.com/concussionwhat_rsym.htm

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/...p?printing=true

They are all similar, but perhaps you can dig something unique from one of them. Good luck.

I had a really bad one after a mountain biking accident.. I lost my ability to read for about an hour..

It was actually kind of funny.. I saw a box of lucky charms and I knew what they were.. but I couldnt read the words.

I threw up a lot too... I wouldn't want to go through it again.

I've had more concussions in soccer than I have had in hockey and rugby combined. One major thing: don't lie down and try to sleep. That's what you want to do at first.

I don't think this was as serious as any of your guy's. I wasn't tired right away or anything and I didn't have any problems comprehending anything. The headache went away after I woke up from a normal sleep. It could have easily been from something else too - I went into an Albertsons (grocery store) and it smelled funky... might have been from that alone!

I was jumped by 3 guys outside a nightclub back home, and took a savage kick to the head. My symptoms were similar to yours, was fine when I got home, but later had a sort of continous headache. I went to the doc, had an MRI, and it was a bruise of the skull, slight swelling, and was fine in 3 days.

But, you may want to check it out, because with bruising you run the risk of bleeding and thats when the real trouble starts. I know medical treatment is expensive over here, and that can act as a deterrent (I was in Ireland, so free medical treatment), but when it comes to the head, you are better off not assuming you are fine, even if you feel a bit better

From what I've read online, just watching it at home for a couple days is the appropriate thing to do and if I notice any more symptoms to go to the doctor. I think that is the advice I will take. Its not like I slammed it from full height or at top speed either..

i had a mild concussion from hockey a few years back. however, it wasn't too bad, the headacheness was gone after a couple of days.

when i went to the hospital to get it checked out, the lady asked for my postal code (i gave them my phone number)...she got scared...haha, but it was jsut cuz i was tired and "heard wrong" but yeah, as long as you dont feel like puking your guts out, it shouldnt be too bad, probably a very very mild concussion at the very most.

I've had a few concussions.

The first one I had I was playing catcher for our AAA baseball team. I got a knee to the head when I was blocking the plate.

I was knocked out cold, had dizzy spells and couldn't walk straight for a few days. The dizzy spells lasted a few weeks. It was really rough.

I had one playing lacrosse, but that one was pretty minor.

The last one I had, my skate hit a groove when I was skating backwards, full speed and I hit my head on the ice about 3 times.

Couldn't see, couldn't talk (the only thing I could say was N-N-N-N-O!), couldn't drive home from practice, spent the night puking and had headaches for about a week. It was a hardcore concussion. A couple more like that I'm going to be screwed.

It was really rough. My boyfriend had to drive me home, get me out of my gear and keep me awake all night.

One of my worst experiences ever.

I had the HARDEST time keeping my eyes focossued on ANYTHING for any legnth of time. That and I couldn't make out a lot of colours.

I shake all the time. I'm a twitcher.

*twitch twitch*

ADHD....ADHD...I like bikes....

Your pupils tend to shrink and grow as well.

As for the waking up every 2-3 hours, I believe thats to make sure you don't fall into a coma.

I've had probably a dozen concussions, but I've not had one since I was in High School. I've taken a lotta hard hits in the last 4 years, but with no ill effects. And I don't think that concussions have any long-term effects... especially when you're young. As long as you don't get too many in too short a time.

my coach/ friend has had 8 concussions. he fine. but his last injury was breaking his ankle in two places. it was so bad that they couldnt give him a cast for a week.

I've had 3 concussions. They get worse every time. You usually get really sensitive to the light. Definatly when its at hockey and the rink is bright. Also They make me throw up and vision is blurred. Also my balance was really off.