Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Fury of One

New Frames?

Actually someone posted about those a while ago here. I came across the post a few months ago when I was trying to decide which chassis to use on some ice boots I was going to convert. I looked at the site back then and it was intriuging, however; they weren't available to buy then as there was no price or purchase option on the site and they weren't at any of the online stores either. I just took a look at the site again and while the site has been updated there still doesn't seem to be an option to buy the chassis or any prices listed. Interesting concept, but it doesn't look like you can buy them right now and there's no indication as to how much they will cost and when and where they will be available.

I think durability is going to be the biggest question with them - I mean all skate manufacturers use metal/aluminum for a reason.

If they can withstand all the torture we put all of our regular chassis through - then they might have a chance.

I dunno....I'm still a little skeptical..

Actually someone posted about those a while ago here. I came across the post a few months ago when I was trying to decide which chassis to use on some ice boots I was going to convert. I looked at the site back then and it was intriuging, however; they weren't available to buy then as there was no price or purchase option on the site and they weren't at any of the online stores either. I just took a look at the site again and while the site has been updated there still doesn't seem to be an option to buy the chassis or any prices listed.  Interesting concept, but it doesn't look like you can buy them right now and there's no indication as to how much they will cost and when and where they will be available.

Scroll down and you see:

"The Sprung roller hockey frames will be available for $160 at stores, pro shops, and online retailers very soon" Added Noris, "It also looks like our Sprung frames will be original equipment on some major manufacturers skates in the near future."

I think durability is going to be the biggest question with them - I mean all skate manufacturers use metal/aluminum for a reason.

If they can withstand all the torture we put all of our regular chassis through - then they might have a chance.

I dunno....I'm still a little skeptical..

yeah i mean, you hear the hum'er chassis getting dented...i thnki that's pretty intense in and of itself....

Scroll down and you see:

"The Sprung roller hockey frames will be available for $160 at stores, pro shops, and online retailers very soon" Added Noris, "It also looks like our Sprung frames will be original equipment on some major manufacturers skates in the near future."

Thanks for pointing that out TBLfan...I didn't see that.

$160 US...until they're a proven product there's no way I'd spend that on the chassis. I'll let others try them first...if they were cheaper it might be worth an experiment with an old pair of boots, but for $160 I'll let others do the experimenting.

Yeah that's what I was thinking. One shot to the composite and that chassis would be done. I wonder what major maufacturers they're talkin' about. Obviously it won't be Mission.

Looks like a rocker on steriods. Also looks heavy and bulky but I guess we will have to wait and see. I think durabiliy is the number one issue. more moving parts equals more problems. Look at the vibes. great concept but didnt last.

Those look a lot like the never released voodoo blades that someone posted about maybe as far back as a year or three ago. Might've been back on CB.

I agree with HockeyPunk on the similarities to the vibe and the moving parts issues.

I also think these puppies would have to be customizable to a certain degree as a 200+ pound guy like myself would obviously need a lot less "give" in the springs than some 5'5 speedy forward. Too much spring and the skates would be very unresponsive and slow regardless of how tight you can cut your turns.

I'd love to try these out though!

just remember its plastic and toe caps are made from plastic and if its the same material it will hold up

Yea but look at your tow cap, if you play on roll on surface and you have ever fell and rubbed your tow on the flor it melts right threw the plastic. Take a puck to toe, it can take a good chunk of plastic with it. Plastic is durable but not durable enough.

The weight issue is a good point as well. Im only 5-2 120 pounds, so if the srping rate is 200 inch pounds then my wheel gap would be much greater that than if I was 210 pounds, if my springs wont compress then my pitch is diffrent, so in order to sell they would have to be fully adjustable in every department. They should just bring back the old V-Form chassis! Now that was diffrent

It seems like an evolution of the TUUK rocker. How come that went the way of the Dodo bird???

Sprung has been putting out frames for quite a while, started in aggressive a ways back...utilizing the same plastic and have discussed OEM deals with many of they key skate companies..

saw quite a few top level players use them at Winternationals in '04 or 05 and giving very good feedback, fast kids such as Brad Ellis ...and others such as NARCh PRO and All World D-man Boyd Sutton

Well, with Mission keeping the standard Hi-Lo setup exclusive it only makes sense for some other manufacturers to try to take some chances. I can see these being slapped onto some alternate models in a limited degree sort of like Graf and CCM does with their T'Blade ice skates to see if they catch on.

Anyone else amused by NikeBauer's "OneStep" or whatever chassis on their models this year? It places a 78mm wheel onto the heel spot so it can dance around the Hi-Lo patent issues? Most sites I see selling the skates pretty much just tell you the obvious... That you can swap out the 78mm for a 80mm wheel for a "traditional" Hi-Lo setup. Very clever. Personally, I skate on Tours and after a brief adjustment period, I really like the Hum'mer setup and only having to buy one size of wheel sure is nice!

well, an update on this frame. I went to the Team USA tryouts today to watch the scrimmages, and got a minute of Luke Storno's time. For those who don't know, Storno played for the San Diego Sharks in the Elite League a year or two back, and is a good sized guy. He had the sprung frames on a Mission boot and said he loves them. Basically, the frames are built in a manner similar to a skateboards trucks, with a bushing at the end of the two arms on each section. He gave a quick example of how the frame moves when weight is transferred, much like the Rocker frames did. Overall, out of 25ish skaters trying to make the national team, 4 were on sprung frames. Given the size of guys like Luke Storno playing at that high of a level, I can't imagine the plastics used being cheap or chincy.

Did he say how long they lasted?? Guys at that level could have them replaced a couple times a year I'm sure without too much headache. If a guy that big at that level could have them last say three years, I would consider that a good statement of quality.

Did he say how long they lasted?? Guys at that level could have them replaced a couple times a year I'm sure without too much headache. If a guy that big at that level could have them last say three years, I would consider that a good statement of quality.

realistically, for a guy at that level to be using something that off the beaten path and say he loves it when he could probably be sponsered by one of the bigger companies, I think it says ALOT. I didn't ask about longevity though and probably should have, but I know the company prodcuing the frames started out doing aggressive skate frames, so they probably know how to make a solid plastic for the frame.