Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleKnee

Composite Butt End

I doubt oggie grips make you shoot harder, by "flexing".

My shafts are 50½ inches and I play with 51½, so If I were to use a oggie grip I would have to cut 5 inches of my shafts, and then insert the 6'inch oggie's....

Uh and my shaft flexes too...

Can't really see why it should make you shoot harder, care to explain Jason?

Jason im sure will explain. They have actually proven tests that it does.

Patrick, I know of two groups who have tested the grips with radar and came to the conclusion that the grips were adding to the shot speeds, as well as a lot of anecdotal feedback.

1) Joe Casasanta with Oggie ran tests with the same sticks (manufacturer, model, flex, curve) and the radar gun on a tripod for accuracy, and found an average increase of 2.5 MPH.

2) At the IHIA show in Boston this January, Al Iafrate saw the grip and was intrigued. He asked Oggie to put grips on two sticks that they were using in the shooting arcade run by Black Beauty. By the end of the show, Iafrate came back to the booth and told the Oggie staff (Joe had gone to Vegas) that they measured increased shot speeds across the board for the sticks with the grips. The way the Oggie guys explained it to us at the show, Iafrate was convinced on the grips.

So the question is "Why?"

I'm not really sure, since I'm not involved with the design, but I have a guess. Joe's told me that the grips have built-in flex, so my guess is the amount of flex in the grip is greater than the flex that is decreased by cutting off the six inches of shaft. The funny thing is I think increased shot speed is a bonus. I just like the better grip I get with an Ergo grip; I never get the stick knocked out of my hand any more.

There are some negatives for some people, depending upon how they play. I was watching a friend of mine the other day who's one of the best passers I've ever seen, and I saw him holding the stick with only his top hand about ten inches low. It was unusual for someone to hold a stick that way, and it struck me that I couldn't quickly move my hand to that position with a grip on the stick, particularly since the PG1 gloves have rubber in the palms. Joe has told me that some players mute the tackiness of the grips by adding tape.

Jason, could you let me know what online vendors currently carry the Oggie Grip? I think I'm ready to try it. Thanks in advance.

Joe told me this week that Perani's finally agreed to carry the grips.

I have my top hand slighty over the end of the stick, gives me much more control, PP, just can't see why the Oggie Classic grip would help my cause, by cutting my shaft I would take away some of the natural flex in it.

I can understand the benefit compared to playing with a really long unflexible wood-but end. But if you use a shaft a don't need a but end, for it at all, it doesn't apply.

I think you're half right, Patrick.

For the way you hold your stick, the current version of an Oggie grip would make it difficult to hold your hand slightly off the shaft, although Joe is aware that some players have that tendency and is working on a different design. On the other, maybe it's possible that a player could shave away part of the top of the Ergo grip (on its underside) to allow more movement.

However, I've never used a stick with a wooden butt end, so all the improvements I found were in comparison to composite OPS's and shafts. Benefit number one is a better fit for small to medium hands, since manufacturers couldn't make sticks that small without excessive breakage. Benefit number two is an increased flex which increases shot speed.

Again, trust me, you guys are going to switch one day, and then you're going to track me down and say (all together now), "You were right......" :D

Jason, could you let me know what online vendors currently carry the Oggie Grip? I think I'm ready to try it. Thanks in advance.

www.1800faceoff.com has Oggie Grips now listed on there site.

I'm assuming those of you who are filing it are doing so to make it fit better, but that obviously decreases the strength slightly. If you want something that fits better and actually increases strength, try a Classic Grip, since it's the closest to your current stick. (The Ergo is much different from anyone's current stick, but I like it better.)

Believe me, in a couple of years you guys will finally get around to trying it and wondering why you waited. :D

its a butt end, you round it off just the corners, i guarantee it wont break, plus who cares if it does , ITS A BUTT END

Which one improved shot power? classic or ergo? The ergo looks like it'll be painful on the wrist.

My understanding is Joe radar tested both grips and found improved shot speeds with both, while I believe Al Iafrate had Ergo grips.

Regarding how they feel on your wrist, I find the Ergo to be slightly more comfortable. I held out two identical sticks simultaneously at arm's length, one with an Ergo and one with a Classic grip, and I just felt the Ergo was more comfortable. Further, if you think about how you hold your top hand when the blade is flush, you'll see that an Ergo grip allows you to relax your wrist a little compared to a straight shaft.

I'm assuming those of you who are filing it are doing so to make it fit better, but that obviously decreases the strength slightly. If you want something that fits better and actually increases strength, try a Classic Grip, since it's the closest to your current stick. (The Ergo is much different from anyone's current stick, but I like it better.)

Believe me, in a couple of years you guys will finally get around to trying it and wondering why you waited.  :D

its a butt end, you round it off just the corners, i guarantee it wont break, plus who cares if it does , ITS A BUTT END

I realize it probably won't break if you don't take too much off, but then you aren't gaining much in terms of better fit.

I guess my point is DoubleKnee started the thread with a link to a butt end on InlineWarehouse that cost $15, so why not spend $5 more and pick up better fit, durability and shot speed? The only argument that's logical against that is a hollow plug probably would net out to an ounce or two less, but I'd give up that weight if it improved my shot and handling.

Bob Hoffmeyer, who played for the devils and flyers in the 80's added a piece of wood that stuck out from his stick on an angle similar to the ergo. If memory serves he did it because of wrist injury and he remarked that he got a harder shot.