Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mrusse01

Saucer Pass Technique

What blade pattern does everyone prefer for making the perfect saucer pass, open toe closed toe, etc?

I've used Modano style curves my whole life and I find that I 'flutter' more saucer passes than I should. I have a tough time making the pass land flat on the ice, especially a short pass like on a 2 on 1. I have an easier time on backhanded passes, which is weird, and the more I think about it the more I think the lack of a 'wedge' shape on the Modano blades is somehow affecting my ability to pass saucers. I've tried a few other sticks guys have handed to me on the ice, and while I can't handle the puck very well, I find I am able to pass much better.

Just wondering if anyone has had similar experinces, and maybe moved to a different pattern with good results, or if anyone has any tips/tricks they use to make the perfect saucer pass that lands flat.

Thanks!

the blade pattern doesn't matter to much, your pass flutters because you are not getting enough spin on the puck and trying to lift it to much. Think of the saucer pass as a mini wrist shot. Don't baby it to much, roll the toe over and finish pointing at where the puck should go

I use heel curves that are slightly open. The puck goes heel to toe, I leave the face slightly open and the height and length of the follow through determines the height of the pass. Don't just jerk the blade up in the air to lift the puck higher on a saucer. Getting it up and down quickly while passing the puck hard is not easy.

Thanks for the reply...roll the toe over eh? I'm doing the exact opposite I think, leaving the toe open, almost slicing at the puck especially on a short pass...seems wrong now that I think about it in relation to a wrist shot. Thanks for the tip, I'll try that out.

Like I said, I can get the long cross ice saucer to work pretty well...its just the short ones like on a 2 on 1 or coming out of the corner and passing to a man in the slot that are tricky.

I saw once on Hockey Night in Canada before a game once they were showing Alfredsson warming up in his sweats just stickhandling and he'd bring the puck way back and saucer it forward, really high though, only a couple of feet forward and get it and keep stickhandling again. Spezza was there with him trying the same thing and he couldn't do it, so it must be pretty tough!

always had the prettiest ones with a sakic. i do it like chadd says, just go heel to toe. i dont open the blade up much, it isnt needed with the sakic. just a quick flick, roll of the wrists. if youve got those "wobbles while its in air, a roller puck will never land flat but an ice puck will sometimes.

Yeah, I'm doing it with same technique as Chadd and Opus...its not nearly as much of a problem on ice, but like you said, in the summer in roller hockey you really have to make the perfect saucer or it will bounce everywhere.

I find the smaller the curve the better for backhand and forehand. If youre just looking for forehand go with a heel. Mind you, you can do it with any curve

I think its easyer with drurys or sakics. I just start it at the heel and snap it off, also just leave the blade a little open. I dont roll my hands over.

Ya practice snapping your passes off - not muscling-wristing them.

the blade pattern doesn't matter to much, your pass flutters because you are not getting enough spin on the puck and trying to lift it to much. Think of the saucer pass as a mini wrist shot. Don't baby it to much, roll the toe over and finish pointing at where the puck should go

I was taught to leave the face open for saucers passes and not to roll your wrists unless you're shooting.