Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

domileafs28

wrist shot help please

okay here goes. i'm currently using a easton modano curve 100 flex, it is great for stickhandling for me... i dont wanna switch curves. when i pass the puck or take a wrister on the ice, i get great spin and accuracy on the puck.

however, when i try to lift a shot, the puck just flutters all around in the air, no spin at all. i've tried tweaking my technique with no success. i do the 45 degree angle to the net, point the toe where you want it to go, and i cant get any lift that way...

please help, i need to improve before tryouts in june.

Not a big Modano user but maybe you should try taking more of a snapshot technique rather than a wristshot.

make sure you are drawing the puck back far enough to the side of your body. when you begin your shot you want the puck on the heel of the blade.

Not a big Modano user but maybe you should try taking more of a snapshot technique rather than a wristshot.

well to be honest, my snap and slap shots stay on the ice or only like 1 ft in the air. i can get lift and flat flight on a roller puck on smooth concrete, i flip a recycle bin on the side and can put a shot wherever i want it, but it just seems like i'm barely flicking at the puck on ice...

you could be opening your blade and trying to lift the puck into the air instead of getting the puck in the right spot on the blade and letting it work for you. The flutter is caused by the puck not getting enough spin on it. You should also finish your shot with the toe of your stick pointing at what you are aiming for.

make sure you are drawing the puck back far enough to the side of your body. when you begin your shot you want the puck on the heel of the blade.

People still shoot like that? :blink: Like Mack said, snap your wrists toward the target.

Not sure if this helps buy try bending your knees more in a strong, sort of crouch (hard to explain when you can't see it) and get really balanced (closer to the ice), you see rookies standing up really straight, taking a shot. and then see the puck just sliding along the ice.

okay here goes. i'm currently using a easton modano curve 100 flex, it is great for stickhandling for me... i dont wanna switch curves. when i pass the puck or take a wrister on the ice, i get great spin and accuracy on the puck.

however, when i try to lift a shot, the puck just flutters all around in the air, no spin at all. i've tried tweaking my technique with no success. i do the 45 degree angle to the net, point the toe where you want it to go, and i cant get any lift that way...

I use the same motion for wristers/snappers that I do for saucer passes. Heel to toe and just add a little snap for oomph when I shoot. Just work on getting the motion smooth, then start to add power. Just a thought but, the flex may actually be more of the problem.

do you think it would help if you tried a stick that's not as stiff as the 100 flex?

thanks for all the help guys

i'd like to know more about this... how would more flex help this problem?? i have tried an 85 flex as well as the 100. i can flex both easily ( i am 5'7 16 yrs old, 195 pounds... i'm not fat i have a 32 waist). so yeah when i shoot i am bending my knees and flexing the shaft about an inch and a half on a wrister.

so do you all think this would work??

once i get the puck on the heel, i should point the toe a little behind me and drag it forward to get the puck spinning on my stick, then lift and snap towards the target as the puck rolls off the toe?

You should also finish your shot with the toe of your stick pointing at what you are aiming for.

dead-on. You also usually want the face of the blade pointing towards the ice. If its pointing up after your shot, you get the flutters.

If it's really important to you, I would hire a reputable coach and book a few hours at a shooting range.

By far, private lessons give you the best bang for the buck. Better than any new stick or skate you can buy.

make sure you are drawing the puck back far enough to the side of your body.  when you begin your shot you want the puck on the heel of the blade.

People still shoot like that? :blink: Like Mack said, snap your wrists toward the target.

Well maybe not shoot, but that is still how you do a nice saucer pass from the goal line. Look at Pronger, he's got great form. He pulls it back and puts the blade facing down on top of the puck. Then he whips it up, twisting the wrists to open the blade WAY up (depending on how high you want your pass/shot to go) then once the puck is up a bit, you snap your wrists really hard so the puck goes off the toe of your blade very accurately and not too high. I think the most important part is snapping it down: the blade should be like it was at the beginning, facing the ice. Only it's in front of you and facing whatever your target was (in my case, a forward streaking through the neutral zone :) ).

i notice this alot to wen i used a modano blade, i think its cuz its not much of a curve, its kinda hard to take wristers that r nice, usually i take snap shots or slap shots with a modo blade because it is so good for them. I switched to a sakic blade n my wristers r way nicer while keep the same type of snap shot but my slappers r kinda rough.

From my experience, the Modano stick is not really designed for raising the puck. Though epuck considers it slightly open, I find it pretty closed. When the puck rolls down the blade, it doesn't get a lot of lift from the blade.

You may want to look at something a bit more open. The Drury is more open but still a heel curve that might help you. I recently switched the Kovalev Warrior and love it.

-dave

Welcome to the club! I've been playing off and on for 8 years and still having trouble lifting the puck. (I can pull off the "Cheechoo move" 3 out 5 times at near full speed and get it on net - go figure!) I went to a more flexible shaft and a Thornton blade pattern - big shock there - but really it was for the wrist shot. CCM site says it's a good pattern for awesome wrist shots.

I've come to the conclussion I'm over thinking the whole thing. With this new stick, I've managed to "roof" the puck a couple of times coming down off the boards not even thinking "lift it". Then, standing there in front of the boards (I hate that BTW), shot after shot they're bouncing off the yellow band at the bottom of the boards. So after about 50 of those, I go pull off the Cheechoo move a few times to boost my self-esteem B)

Some one earlier mentioned just focus on the basic technique and not try to put any power on it. I find that to be good advice in general. Once the technique becomes habit, the power will come on it's own. Trying to generate power while trying to figure out how to lift the puck mucks things up for me. So I stand close to the boards so that I'm less inclined to try to muscle the puck.

Keep at it and I'm sure you'll get it.

I have a sakic blade.

I like it because it has a large flat area, then a medium open curve to it.

Here is one suggestions that I do with my kids to get them to lift the puck.

Most the kids I work with that have a weak shot or can't lift it is because they have no snapping action in the follow through, they are just sweeping the puck.

Start with both arms out in front of you in a shooting position.

If you are right handed lock your right elbow. Both arms should be straight and the puck is in front of you (not drawn back).

Now, with the puck on the blade, draw back your top hand keeping your bottom hand stiff. Work on a snapping action.

Now do it when drawing the puck back.

This is not necessarily a proper way to do a wrist shot but if you do this I think you'll be able to lift the puck up better in other situations like to clear it up the boards or to saucer pass.

My 4 year old can lift it over the net from the top of the crease with his stick. It has a mild open face but he really snaps his wrists at the end.

I've tried LOADS of curves but the only 2 i could really get used to were the Yserman and a Mogilney, they are queit different but i just felt more comfortable shooting with them

sonsplayhockey, that was very helpful...

i am right handed. i pull with my left hand and push with the right and i do snap..

i snap my wrists towards the target.

i studied my problem more this morning at public skate. i have the shooting motion down. but i'm not getting the puck to roll on my blade. when i snap and follow through high, the puck slides weakly down the ice and my stick is the only thing in the air. how do i get the puck to "stick" to my blade while i raise it?

If you try to spin the puck too much by snapping too early you may not be getting enough forward momentum for the puck to "stick" on your blade.

Try to get the blade moving towards the target as long as possible. This builds up the momentum smoothly, and the puck should "stick" to the mid-heel. Then, at the end of your reach, the stick will naturally start to pull and snap over to add the rest of the spin.

If you add a piece of white tape to the middle (to make a stripe), you can see if you are spinning the puck too much.

Once you get a feel for the basics and can raise the puck on command, you can add more snap sooner to get a quicker release etc.

so here is the main thing i'm getting from you guys...

i should just sweep with my right hand while i pull and snap with the left. (i grip the stick loose with my bottom hand). is this correct??

I've been working on it by shooting a roll of tape at my refrigerator because it is 200 degrees outside and i will fry out there. I've dented the fridge in a few places, so i must be getting power... don't worry it is an old 50's fridge in the basement.

thanks to all of you guys that took time to actually help me...i've posted other places and all i get is a two or three word response, which is no help at all.

I've been working on it by shooting a roll of tape at my refrigerator because it is 200 degrees outside and i will fry out there. I've dented the fridge in a few places, so i must be getting power...

Crosby dented his mother's dryer in the basement in the same way.

From my experience, the Modano stick is not really designed for raising the puck. Though epuck considers it slightly open, I find it pretty closed. When the puck rolls down the blade, it doesn't get a lot of lift from the blade.

You may want to look at something a bit more open. The Drury is more open but still a heel curve that might help you. I recently switched the Kovalev Warrior and love it.

-dave

Amen, brother. My current out of commission Synergy Grip is a Modano 110 flex and I may as well just pick the puck up and throw it out of the zone when I am playing D, because I can't get ANY lift on that sucker. Honestly, even though the majority of goals I scored in my league were with this stick, it was because every shot was ON THE ICE and just happened to beat the goalie 5-hole or in the bottom corners. Since switching back to defense, I've gone with the Z-Bubble Grip and Sakic Si-Core and now I can actually take a decent rising wrist shot and clear the zone on a flip pass. Me and Modano just don't mix.

Regs,

Jeff