Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

steve66

modzilla & firefox

I've had enough of IE it just keeps messing up for a million and one reasons. there As there are some very computer literate peeps on here thought it'd be a good place to start.. so anyone use these as alternatives?

-advantages

-disadvantages

-other alt browsers?

Since I do a lot of web design and it's important for me to be familiar with how each one renders web pages, I generally use a combination of Netscape, and IE. Lately I've mainly been using FireFox to browse though. It's nice. I like tabbed browsing and Netscape/Mozilla browsers have always had a better system to organize bookmarks. The negatives for me is that they tend to hang on poorly implemented Java applets/pages. I also have had some trouble with my profile getting corrupt and losing all my bookmarks.

I think it's safe to say i'm no where near into the development side of the web as you, so my basic requirement is just a stable browser to access webmail, research papers and all the latest hockey news and gossip. Would FireFox be a stable enough replacement?

If it is, should i go 0.7 or 0.8? (<- just to wait till all kinks are out of 0.8?)

I have both versions installed on various computers and I love it. There isn't much difference between the two and both are still "experimental". I've been using Mozilla for months and only run into the Java problem a couple of times, I really prefer it to IE.

I have both versions installed on various computers and I love it. There isn't much difference between the two and both are still "experimental". I've been using Mozilla for months and only run into the Java problem a couple of times, I really prefer it to IE.

me as well.. i'll never go back to IE.. too many problems.. :/

I use IE on one computer, and FireFox on the other. Great thing I like about Firefox is the built in popup blocker, but besides that I can use either one the same.

And if you use Outlook for your mail, try Mozilla Thunderbird. Much better as well.

Better than outlook express but not as good as outlook. All of the features in the full version of outlook are tough to beat.

I actually preferred Express to Outlook for the lack of features. Outlook is way more complicated then I need a e-mail client to be. I guess I'll have to give Thunderbird a shot.

Exactly - Outlook was too intensive for me...things I didn't want or understand.

And, with FireFox you can play with the themes...

Jay...make a MSH one. :)

I actually preferred Express to Outlook for the lack of features. Outlook is way more complicated then I need a e-mail client to be. I guess I'll have to give Thunderbird a shot.

I use it for everything. I have my game schedules for playing and reffing in it as well as all of the contact info for family and friends. Plus I have at least four or five years of old email in it, divided into various folders. I also use the rules wizard to delete spam automatically and to file email from people into certain folders.

I am also into web development. I never really liked IE and I hated netscape, firefox seems to be much better than both of them for the most part. The tab feature is nice (especially at work), but I have ran into a few things that make me mad with firefox:

-You can't copy and paste a table from a webpage to word, only IE can do this and have it remain a table.

-You can't open any microsoft product within the browser. (understandable)

-You have to download a bunch of plug-ins (shockwave, flash, java, etc)

-On a site with frames, you can't view the page source of each frame without opening each frame in a new window. (you can only view the frameset).

Some cool things:

-Tab feature

-Build your own toolbar feature

-Very stable

I would recommend it for a normal user, but I would say be sure IE is easily available.

By the way, I think Opera Browser is even better than Firefox.

Opera? Really? I've never used it but from what I understand, it's support for .css is horrific. That and it apparantly doesn't even understand a lot of basic html code. That's entirely based on what comes up in my browser compatibility checks and what I've heard from other developers but it sure doesn't seem like a viable option to me. Should I really try it out?

Chadd recommended I switch to Modzilla a few months ago, and I like it more than IE. Like, him, the Java thing doesn't really bother me.

I am also into web development. I never really liked IE and I hated netscape, firefox seems to be much better than both of them for the most part. The tab feature is nice (especially at work), but I have ran into a few things that make me mad with firefox:

-You can't copy and paste a table from a webpage to word, only IE can do this and have it remain a table.

-You can't open any microsoft product within the browser. (understandable)

-You have to download a bunch of plug-ins (shockwave, flash, java, etc)

-On a site with frames, you can't view the page source of each frame without opening each frame in a new window. (you can only view the frameset).

Some cool things:

-Tab feature

-Build your own toolbar feature

-Very stable

I would recommend it for a normal user, but I would say be sure IE is easily available.

By the way, I think Opera Browser is even better than Firefox.

Ummm, you dont like netscape (which is mozilla), but you love firefox? When on my windows pc, I use Firefox, fastest browser for the pc, a bunch of plugins, clean, simple, tabbed browsing is great. When on my mac, of course, I use safari, fastest browser out there. And as for your problems, just take the html from the page, and insert it into word if you want the table, a web developer like you should know how to do it. What ms product would you want to open? Just go to start, run. You have to download plugins with all browsers, IE included, sir. You can view the html of the frame, go to view, this frames source (something along those lines). And opea is terrible. As jay said, its display of CSS is pretty brutal, dosent have much java support, and most plugins I include in my websites dont work. Problems with firefox, for me, are usualy java related

Most of the standard web plugins are included with an IE install these days. If you have to download any kind of plugin (other then an upgrade) into IE, whoever developed the page should probably rexamine their choice of media elements.

Most of the standard web plugins are included with an IE install these days. If you have to download any kind of plugin (other then an upgrade) into IE, whoever developed the page should probably rexamine their choice of media elements.

I've had to builld IE installs with the IEAK, pretty nice little tool.