Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fastmiele

do composite shafts become more flexy ?

Well I guess the more 'hard slappers' you do the faster the stick will break in, however if you don't exert a lot of force on your stick generally, it will still break in, only at a slower rate.

Not to beat a dead horse, but If I go out for a week and just constantly wind up the hardest rippers I can all game, will my stick get whippier? I have a new 85 flex Synergy ST and it is NOT 85 flex. Its more like 100.

Stiffer sticks are more susceptible to breakage, as they don't have much give in them, and most pros don't go by Brett Hull's idea of letting an extremely whippy stick do all of the work for you.

Not to beat a dead horse, but If I go out for a week and just constantly wind up the hardest rippers I can all game, will my stick get whippier?  I have a new 85 flex Synergy ST and it is NOT 85 flex.  Its more like 100.

It may soften up a bit, but probably not a full flex rating (i.e. - from a 100 feel to an 85 feel).

I guess you'll just have to give it to me :D

I have an Easton UL 100 that is probably about 7 or 8 years old now (5 years of sitting in the basement during my "retirement"). After a season or so I noticed it definitely softened up to the point where I needed to go to a 110 flex. I swear that particular shaft is the strongest one Easton ever made...I broke quite a few 110s before I graduated, and now that I started playing again the 100 is still going strong. Since I lost some power over my layoff it has come in very handy...I think a 100 is a bit too stiff right now and an 85 is too whippy, but this one is just right.

Did you ever see one of these guys take a slapshot in slow motion? The stick almost bends 90 degrees! I am sure after some of that action the fibers in the stick start to crack. I am not sure it is so much that the stick is getting more flexible, but that they fear the stick breaking in half if they continue to use it. Nobody likes a stick to break, and during an NHL playoff the cost of a new box of sticks is insignificant.