Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grave77Digger

The one timer...

There is nothing prettier than a one timer goal... Unfortunately I am awful at them. By the time I react to the pass and start the swing the puck is already past me! Any tips?

For timing the only thing you can do is practise. Get someone to feed you or try bouncing a puck off the walls and doing it that way.

You have to feel the shot, which means eye contact through contact. To learn, try getting a friend to feed you nice passes and don't swing too hard at first; the main aspect is timing.

One thing that helps me when I practice one timers is lowering my windup. When your winding up, instead of winding all the way up like you would on a regular slap shot, try a mini-windup, only bringing your stick back about as high as your hip. It worked well for me. Once you get that down, then make your windup a little higher, and so on.

A one-timer is probably the most techincally difficult move to pull off in hockey, it takes a lot of practice and skill to get down right.

As mentioned, work on taking a really small wind-up at first, you don't even have to take your stick off the ice, just draw it back like a snap shot. Focus on making solid contact, not necessarily killing it, and aim for the bottom of the net or along the ice. You can get a great practice in if you just stand with someone who is an opposite shot to yourself, each on your off wings, at about the hash marks and feed pucks back and forth. After a fairly short time you will see your skill improve a lot, especially on shots where you are just standing still. You can then work on having your friend pass the puck slightly ahead of you and striding into the shot.

To pull off a classic 'McCabe' onetimer where you are skating backwards while you recieve the pass (like along the blue line on a PP) and hammer it home is really tough. It takes a tremendous amount of balance and skating ability combined with excellent hand eye coordination and strength. I'm no expert on this type of shot (although I've scored the occasional goal like this when I get a perfect pass), so I'm not sure of any special technique to follow when practicing, but one thing I do know is that it is really tough on your sticks so you might want to practice with something other than a really expensive OPS.

I would start by keeping your stick on the ice. To get a good shot off you don't even need the wind up. Once you're comfortable with that then start going for more power by winding up. Another thing is to practice on your own hitting a tennis ball of the wall. This will greatly improve your hand-eye coordination.

I would start by keeping your stick on the ice. To get a good shot off you don't even need the wind up. Once you're comfortable with that then start going for more power by winding up. Another thing is to practice on your own hitting a tennis ball of the wall. This will greatly improve your hand-eye coordination.

i completely agreee

another way is if you have a buddy who always practices with you, get him to pass at a slow speed, then gradually increase the speed as you go along, it kinda worked for me.

goodluck!

I would start by keeping your stick on the ice.  To get a good shot off you don't even need the wind up.  Once you're comfortable with that then start going for more power by winding up.  Another thing is to practice on your own hitting a tennis ball of the wall.  This will greatly improve your hand-eye coordination.

i completely agreee

another way is if you have a buddy who always practices with you, get him to pass at a slow speed, then gradually increase the speed as you go along, it kinda worked for me.

goodluck!

Ya -- and rememeber you dont even have to kill the puck to have it fly. Its a like a fastball in baseball- just make solid contact with it and it will fly off your blade.

ANYTHING you can do to help your hand-eye coordination will help a bunch-raquetball has helped myself and a couple friends alot-The movement into the ball is fairly similar to moving into a puck-One thing that also helped me is to take a puck and skate paralell to the boards 10-15 feet from the boards quickly-shoot the puck at the boards on the move and practice moving into the puck and connecting with it on the shot-work for the timing first,the speed and power on the shot will come but you have to have the timing first! If you are going to have a buddy pass pucks to you make sure that he does from different angles-this greatly affects the timing factor

"Aim small, miss small"

Similar to the slap shot, don't try and put the puck in the parking lot. A one timer is all about solid contact. A strong one-timer pass will give you all of the power you need. The longer you can keep your stick on the ice, the better in this situation.

My recommendation is to hit the puck as if you are going to give a pass and start to open the blade up for height. Start with just shooting the puck on the ice. Raising it on a one timer is much more difficult so you have to master the easy stuff first.

-dave

The "McCabe" slapshot is the easiest to do.

Have a friend pass you pucks while your skateing half-speed. Makes you adjust to the puck, instead of it beeing perfectly lined up every time you try to shoot. And pratice on a quick windup.

If you can have your stick on the Ice/Sportscourt while the pass is comeing your way, and still shoot a onetimer it becomes alot more unpredictable for the D to cover you on the PP. Will he shoot, pass? cycle the puck?

Picking up cross-ice passes are alot easier when the intended recipient is winding up for a one-timer. Makes it too easy to read the play, scored a short handed goal in my last game this way.