Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dan_The_Man_16

Summer work out program

you should do way more anerobic work in the early summer than later on. It's common sense. You have to build stregnth up in order to create endurance with it.

Hockeymom, your heart is in the right place, but the training program is weak considering the amount of time you're going to have your daughter training.

I completely disagree with the idea that you need high reps with low weight for hockey.

The hockey program sounds good for general stregnth for a younger athlete, I think pilates might be more than what's necisary for core stregnth, and that time could be better spent on something else.

The plyometrics all summer isn't going to do your daughter a lot of good after a month, and probally less than that. Her max stregnth has to get higher before plyometrics can be used to transfer that max effort stregnth into an explosion happening that fast.

A skating treadmill? Don't let your daughter touch that thing, it will teach her to skate without having to use her hamstrings and glutes, which as you imagine will cause quite some problems on the ice with a frequent use of the treadmill.

Keep her doing other sports, it will help her as an athlete over time. Maybe she should play a spring sport like lacrosse or softball if she doesn't already, both provide great tools that can be used as a hockey player.

im a personal trainer and training to become a hockey strength and conditioning coach. im training a few friends right now, as well as myself trying to add weight for hockey.

i do 2 exercises for each upper body part, and 3 for the torso (3 each for abs and lower back)

for legs, since legs are everything in hockey, i do squats (4 sets of 6), hockey lunges (lunges by out to a 45 degree angle like a hockey stride, 3 x 8), leg curls (3 x 12), sumo side squats (step out to the the side with one leg, squat, then bring it back in, repeat alternating each side, 3 x 8), and calf presses (4 x 8)

legs i would follow this specifically since these are hockey-specific movements, but for upper body, since everyone is different, pick exercises that you feel the best doing. but remember free weights are always the best. if your looking for strength gains, do low reps (6-8), high sets (3-4), and high weights. always push yourself but have a spotter!!! they can help you push yourself on the last couple of reps. you need to do this for the muscle to become stronger.

as for endurance, do 30-60 mins of aerobic activity (do it at 75-85% of your max heart rate if you have a machine that tells you your HR). do this twice a week.

and do 10 reps of 10 second sprints and 10 reps of 45 second sprints. do this once a week.

now this is just for offseason training, where you build a base of strength. things change when you get to the preseason (in general, the preseason is where you train with explosive movements and high anaerobic sprints, since hockey is an explosive sport), and during the season you mantain the strength levels.

this should help. remember to eat a ton of carbs, or you wont max out energy stores for training.

LostprophetRJX---as far as sprints, you mentioned doing 10 at 10 second intervals. I do 4 sets of suicide sprints--does it matter too much if you do 100 yard sprints or do the suicide sprints that I do ? What I like about the suicides is that you get the starting and stopping acceleration as well instead of just running straight for 100 yards.

LostprophetRJX---as far as sprints, you mentioned doing 10 at 10 second intervals. I do 4 sets of suicide sprints--does it matter too much if you do 100 yard sprints or do the suicide sprints that I do ? What I like about the suicides is that you get the starting and stopping acceleration as well instead of just running straight for 100 yards.

sprints should be done all out, not a set distance. some people are faster and stronger, so they obviously will span a greater distance than others. sorry, i didnt really describe the sprint workout very well, so here it is.

hockey players should train with sprint intervals, which is an all out sprint interval followed by a rest interval. this is training your anaerobic system. theres 2 different anaerobic systems: ATP-PC and glycolysis. the ATP-PC provides the most immediate form of energy. it provides most of the energy you use for up to 10 seconds. explosive starts, shots, and bodychecks are some of the things that use the ATP-PC system. after this your body relies on the 2nd system, glycolysis, which has an upper limit of 2 minutes, but it peaks at 30-45 seconds. this is why the average hockey shift is is 45 seconds. they key to training is to train the anaerobic systems similar to hockey shifts. so with that in mind.

since the offseason just started, work on building the aerobic system first. a good base of aerobic endurance lets you work longer and recover faster when the training for intense anaerobic endurance comes around.

offseason:

for twice a week, do 30-60 mins of aerobic activities (jogging, biking, hiking, climbing, etc). if your on a machine, make sure your working at 75-85% your max heart rate. progress by first increasing the duration, then by increasing the intensity (work faster). as the preseason nears increase the aerobic workout to 3 times a week.

once a week, do 3 sets of 30 second sprints, using a 1:4 or 1:5 work to rest ratio (30 second sprint followed by a 2-2 1/2 min rest). progress by first increasing the sprint interval (gradually progress from 30 seconds to 45 seconds), then decrease the rest interval (gradually decrease from a 1:5 work to rest ratio to a 1:1 work to rest ratio). do a second exercise of these on stairs, going two steps each stride going up, and one step when going down. you can switch it up sometimes and do these sprints on a bike instead.

as for the 5-10 second sprints, you can replace some weight training exercises with these, or if you do plyometrics for speed training, use these. do 10 reps of these. for these use a 1:5 work to rest ratio, and only this. i know you might not think your working enough since your resting for such a long time after such a short sprint, but the idea behind these kinds of sprints is its building up your speed and quickness: its quality training, not quantity. if you dont give yourself adequate time to rest, your body will learn to be slow. so use good form when doing these, fully extending each stride.

when you get to the offseason, 6 weeks before the season starts, go back down to doing aerobic training twice a week, and increase anaerobic training to three times a week. keep progressing if you can. this should help ya.

I have a couple questions. First of all, a background. As a hockey player where there is no real female league for players 20+ in the province, I tend to play on a lot of teams where there are a few just starting out and I am one of their top 2 players. The league we play in is basically an adult safe league w/ the female portion of the league in its 2nd year. So the range in players are former CIS players to again, players just starting out. Oddly enough, all my friends play on the team where we have about 5 players just starting out.

The difference between myself and the other top players is I play a combination finesse + physical style (lots of board work, front of the net, coming back to fill defensive duties). The other players are wingers so thats the difference between us. I also fill in on defense a couple shifts a game + playing centre and I feel I play a lot of harder minutes, if that makes any sense. I've had more than a couple games where I come off the ice around 3-5 times total. Another thing I should mention, is that sometimes all of our players don't show up and we have less than 10 skaters.

I had a real dumb job last year where it left almost no workout time (shifts, getting off 10pm at night)... and I sprained ligaments in my right ankle which happened in September but the swelling after exercise didn't stop until around March. Now I've got myself a regular Monday to Friday job so I can have that extra time to workout.

What I'm looking for is something that is going to keep me going a long time ice-time wise - I don't want to be on a quarter of a tank once that 3rd period rolls around. As it is, after I hit 21 my strength on the ice increased considerably, and my speed/strength are my best assets. Is it a good idea for me to go cardio/aerobic right now and once that builds up, to move into something that will help anaerobically?

Well, I am too young to do any lifting..so my plan would be... this..

20-30 minutes of stickhandling drills

1hr swimming practise(swim team)

20 of 2 rep pushups

20 or 2 rep crunches

and then running around and playing dodgeball and everything around my lake community the rest of the day...

Well, I am too young to do any lifting..so my plan would be... this..

20 of 2 rep pushups

20 or 2 rep crunches

and then running around and playing dodgeball and everything around my lake community the rest of the day...

Maybe add some body-weight single-leg squats and lunges for the legs? Then you will be able to hold the low stance longer when you are skating for max speed.

Oh yeah..forgot about those. so revised schedule..

20 of 2 rep pushups

20 of 2 rep crunches

10 sec. of 10 leg holds

20 of 2 rep squates 2legs for one and single leg for the other 10