Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tyler0630

Junior C or college Club

How do these clubs make so much money by skating ankle benders and 14 year olds?

How do these clubs make so much money by skating ankle benders and 14 year olds?

yea... i dont know. like i said, i would be the oldest, biggest, and probably most skilled(out of the local players), but they are hardley "ankle benders", all of them are the top kids from the local U16 and Bantam AA teams. this team is in its inagural season, and since its the first jr team in my area, they have to start out at the bottom, but the team plans to at least be in a jr.b if not jr.a in the next 2-3 years.

I think im going to just go ahead and play hockey for my college, if this league is that terrible, then i guess its not really worth my time. I know it could be a fun experience, but it could also turn into a huge regret, becuase alot of the kids on the team are 2-3 years younger than me.

one thing that i dont really get is there is another tryout camp for this team for out of area players and theres a dozen kids from the West Michigan AAA hockey club coming to try to play for this team..... i think they are mostly bantams and 1st year midgets but still, why would they want to move from there to here to play junior C? and a a kid from a colorado tier 1 team is signed up also..

i think the reason we are having practices 6 days a week all summer, is because the owner of the team is shoot for a jr. c national championship first season (so the club can get into a better league).

but im just afraid by the time this team does get into a decent league for it to be fun, ill be too old to play.

so ill probably just play club for my school and watch this organization grow.

kovy thats because you playin quebec, go to alberta or BC and it's unreal hockey.

Gavin, although the SI is somewhat bush, they send some players places, i'd say it's almost as good as the NO. And jr.c is the most bush league known to man, and yes they are either ankle benders or 13 years old

Are you talking only about your area Junior C or all over? There's 2-3 C teams that could play in the Provincial Junior A route around here. The first 2 lines are filled with players who played Tier II at 16, but didn't want to stick around and wait out first line minutes, so they dropped down. Then there's usually 1-2 players who were Tier II fighters/energy type guys who wanted to play with their buddies. There are some VERY weak "C" teams, but there are also some very good ones too. I notice there are alot of ties to clubs around here too, where the local Tier II team has 1-3 guys who couldn't be EASILY replaced by a C player and have the team do better. Infact half of the local Junior A team is filled with guys who just wanted to play the best hockey they couldn't and didn't care what role they were in. They stuck with it, and got their chances. While better, more talented players just took off. Junior C is by no means better than any of the leagues above it, but there are some very good players and teams. It's just the overall level is usually fairly low and the overall competition isn't great. It's not a complete hack league around here though.

All in all though, I agree that there isn't a point in holding off school to play C. All of the good hockey players I mentioned playing gave up on their higher hockey aspirations a long time ago.

But you guys are comparing apples to oranges...Junior C in Canada will be different than Junior C in VA...

ya it'll be better, even worse in the US

I think your statement contradicts some law of logic but I don't think I know which one.

But you guys are comparing apples to oranges...Junior C in Canada will be different than Junior C in VA...

I think your statement contradicts some law of logic but I don't think I know which one.

it's better hockey in canada, worse in the US

I think you are missing my point. VA is not exactly a hockey hotbed.

It is what it is...and it applies to the area. Like here in MI...JR C is not very good as the better players move on...and all is left is the scraps...however, you take VA or FL for example, where the talent pool is different - the one or two players in the area will be discovered and move on...however the majority will be at that level. It'd be an extension of what they've been playing their entire life. So it may not be good to you...but good enough for them amd therefore, no need to knock them.

move on with your life man. Go the college club route. At this point if you aren't in Jr A or have college scouts knockin on your door you might as well face reality and that reality is that hockey will not be your source of income. Going to college is the smart choice for you and you'd be suprised at the level of some college club programs ( ie Penn State). There are others and it can be a very fun, competitive, full contact hockey experience. If the college club sucks, then transfer. You can check out info about Old Dominion and other club programs at achahockey.org. Old Dominion are Div III and look to be middle of the road in the south region. I doubt it's great hockey but it could be fun. Top level ACHA Div I and II teams will be pretty good, comparable to mid level and lower NCAA D III programs. But, it's not quite as serious. Good luck with whatever you choose.

IMO College Club Hockey is the intelligent choice for you. Get your education, play hockey, be surrounded with college women, party, and don't delay the inevitable (your going to be a beer league all-star someday with a normal job, it's nothing to be ashamed of!)

I coach ACHA DI club. We're a very average team, usually just below .500. To let you know the level of play between Juniors and club, I'll tell you this. If we get a Jr. C recruit, I have little hope he will be anything more than a 3rd or 4th liner if he even makes the team. We have Jr. B kids who are nothing more than average. Many teams have lots of Jr. A (NAHL and USHL) and midget AAA kids.

Depending on where you are going to school and what level ACHA they are at, it should be more competitive than Jr. C. Most ACHA DII will be as well. DIII is up in the air.

The bottom line I think is you are going to get to play in college with a group of guys you will get to hang out with for a couple year. With Jr. C, you aren't going anywhere anyway. Just an opinion.

move on with your life man.  Go the college club route.  At this point if you aren't in Jr A or have college scouts knockin on your door you might as well face reality and that reality is that hockey will not be your source of income.

College scouts do not come knocking down the door, unless you are one of the top 50 prospects in the land. College scouts are pretty darned lazy! Many D1, and most DIII college players get there by playing in a decent league and having their coach call the colleges and try to get them a spot. If you are going to quit just because someone did not call you on the phone, then you do not understand how the game is played. Go out there and make things happen.

1) get onto a good team with a coach that has a reputation for moving players up

2) get good (do all the things that you can, like lifting weights, doing aerobics and plyo, shoot pucks all summer, stickhandle all summer). Show up to your team practices early, leave late, always work work work--you want your coach to be able to stick his neck out and say "he is a hard worker and is very coachable", or something like that. These coaches only have a few chits to spend each year, so you want them to want to spend some of them on YOU.

3) send out letters to all the schools you are interested in, give them your schedule and invite them to come see you. Repeat EVERY month, so they get the idea that you are really interested.

ODU is an ACHA DIII Blue Ridge Hockey Conference school......the best of the Blue Ridge (i.e. East Carolina, Clemson and Richmond) are pretty good, but I don't think that even Richmond, who has won the BRHC three straight years, has EVER won a national tourny game....I'd got to Jr. C and give it a try, you will have NO problem, even at age 40, playing for ODU.

But....I would not expect Jr. C in VA to be a whole lot better than the BRHC....a guy from the Jr. Whalers came to a pick-up game and I didn't think he was all that impressive.....

move on with your life man.  Go the college club route.  At this point if you aren't in Jr A or have college scouts knockin on your door you might as well face reality and that reality is that hockey will not be your source of income.

College scouts do not come knocking down the door, unless you are one of the top 50 prospects in the land. College scouts are pretty darned lazy! Many D1, and most DIII college players get there by playing in a decent league and having their coach call the colleges and try to get them a spot. If you are going to quit just because someone did not call you on the phone, then you do not understand how the game is played. Go out there and make things happen.

1) get onto a good team with a coach that has a reputation for moving players up

2) get good (do all the things that you can, like lifting weights, doing aerobics and plyo, shoot pucks all summer, stickhandle all summer). Show up to your team practices early, leave late, always work work work--you want your coach to be able to stick his neck out and say "he is a hard worker and is very coachable", or something like that. These coaches only have a few chits to spend each year, so you want them to want to spend some of them on YOU.

3) send out letters to all the schools you are interested in, give them your schedule and invite them to come see you. Repeat EVERY month, so they get the idea that you are really interested.

I was recruited by D III schools (St Mary's, Concordia, and St Johns) and I was not a top 50 player in the land. I don't think my coach did me many favors then either. I did however grow up and play in Minnesota so I am sure that helped. That maybe true for D I, I don't know. My point is Jr C will get you nowhere unless you are very young and even then it's a crap-shoot. If you really wanted to make something happen you should have started a bit earlier. Move on and have fun, your educations will get you further in life than hockey anyway. Good luck.

I was recruited by D III schools (St Mary's, Concordia, and St Johns) and I was not a top 50 player in the land. I don't think my coach did me many favors then either. I did however grow up and play in Minnesota so I am sure that helped. That maybe true for D I, I don't know. My point is Jr C will get you nowhere unless you are very young and even then it's a crap-shoot. If you really wanted to make something happen you should have started a bit earlier. Move on and have fun, your educations will get you further in life than hockey anyway. Good luck.

Thought St. Mary's was a DI school?

Oh...I thought I saw someone post that St.Mary's was DI, what are the DI schools then?

There are many. Go to uscho.com. On the left side near the top you will see Div I. Click on that that and just look through the schools in the different conferences. There you can also check out Div III schools as well.

Yeah Junior C is garbage, my friend almost got tricked into playing for a team in junior c. It's pretty close to a house league it was pretty bad. You'll have more fun playing college, but realistically neither would really help you get to the NHL regardless of who's coaching. Not many scouts give Junior C of college club any consideration

Not many scouts give Junior C of college club any consideration

Seriously, if you think about it only a very small percentage of NCAA D1 players actually make it to the show. Get real guys! If your'e young, in HS or younger, go ahead dream big and shoot for the moon. At some point though you need to face the facts, it is HIGHLY unlikely that you will earn a living playing hockey. Get a good education so that you can afford to buy OPS, custom gloves and equipment so you can look like the pro you wish you were.

thanks for all the input.

here is some more news about the team

http://www.chilledponds.com/news/newsDisplay.php?news_id=270

The coach sounds like he might be dynamite. Go with that team, if you can get on the roster.

If you don't make the pros (you probably won't) you'll have had some fun playing Junior B (or whatever they wind up calling it) before you hit college.

thanks for all the input.

here is some more news about the team

http://www.chilledponds.com/news/newsDisplay.php?news_id=270

The coach sounds like he might be dynamite. Go with that team, if you can get on the roster.

If you don't make the pros (you probably won't) you'll have had some fun playing Junior B (or whatever they wind up calling it) before you hit college.

are you serious? look at the roster of that team, every guy played A or AA last year. Coach or no coach, its a chance for guys who arent too good to play their remaining years out in competitive hockey. Based on the roster, you should feel happy you can play club hockey, as most of those guys wish to be in your shoes.

Go to school