Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aussie Joe

WORST cold streak ever

Hey guys, Having ther worst bloody cold streak atm. Im missing passes, not backchecking (even half assed BC'ing which is my specialty) shots are weak. Its just not me. And the worst bit is I have some big try outs coming out soon as well and its gonna look like Gumby time for me soon.

So I guess the question is are there any trick you gurus can show me to get over this? Right now Im just trying to focus more on the things Im doing wrong and re-working them, thats all. Its really mental I know....but what else can I do asside from the above.

Relax for a bit and then get your head back into the game. Forget the stuff that's complicating you and just play straight-up hockey. If you want, practise your passing/shooting and just think simple. Don't let the little things mess up things in your head. Just go for it full throttle and you'll do fine.

Hey guys, Having ther worst bloody cold streak atm. Im missing passes, not backchecking (even half assed BC'ing which is my specialty) shots are weak. Its just not me. And the worst bit is I have some big try outs coming out soon as well and its gonna look like Gumby time for me soon.

So I guess the question is are there any trick you gurus can show me to get over this? Right now Im just trying to focus more on the things Im doing wrong and re-working them, thats all. Its really mental I know....but what else can I do asside from the above.

just out of curiosity, how is not back-checking a part of a cold streak?? you have total control over back-checking.....you have less control over goals/assisits so having a cold streak there makes sense....at any rate, just relax, have fun, and play simple smart hockey

stop trying so hard and maybe take some time off. You are focusing on all of the things you are doing wrong, which puts more stress on your mind, which tightens up your mind and body which makes you do things worse....it's a vicious circle.

Hockey is a very mental game and we train to read and react...no thinking allowed. When I see the kids struggling I tell them to just let it happen, Loosen up and have fun (your not going to die because of a botched pass or if you don't make a team).

Right now with tryouts coming you are your worst enemy putting all the pressure on yourself. If other people (parents, coaches) are adding to it it just makes it harder. Stop worring about the things you are doing wrong and keep working on things your doing right. It will help your mindframe, then work some of the things that you need help on into your training. If you are having fun and not putting alot of pressure on yourself things will come around.

Go to bed earlier.

Why are you still playing competetive hockey? All college and Junior A is done dude.... unless you play for the Moncton Wildcats/London Knights etc.

Which would be cool.

Oh nvm I just realized you're from Australia. Wait a minute while I take my foot out of my mouth.

Ahh that's better. I have a friend (doesn't play hockey but goes to my college) who wants me to play for the Syndey Bears next summer... ugh do you call it winter? Cause I would have a hard time saying it's summer when there was snow on the ground, but then again I'm Canadian not Australian.

Oh nvm I just realized you're from Australia. Wait a minute while I take my foot out of my mouth.

Ahh that's better. I have a friend (doesn't play hockey but goes to my college) who wants me to play for the Syndey Bears next summer... ugh do you call it winter? Cause I would have a hard time saying it's summer when there was snow on the ground, but then again I'm Canadian not Australian.

Hahaha, thats cool dude. Yeah if you played for the Bears you'd be looking at an AIHL team. Ice Hockey isn't big here and theres definately no snow in any of the major cities in Aus over winter. Very mild by Canadian standards (lowest temp 4.C at night).

Im trying out for State Inline hockey, representing Victoria. Its very competitive for me as Im on the lower end of the skill scale here. I was hoping to move up from my 3rd line spot last yr to 2nd. Thats a long shot now.

I think I might try some of the suggestions. I have a big game this weekend in a diff league to the tryouts so I might just head towards that with a motive of "just enjoy it" instead of worrying about the things I have to work on. I used to get a chance to practice off the rink but don't anymore. It bothers me thus.

Sydney Bears

PS: Keep the suggestions going guys.... :)

Just hustle, backcheck HARD, and take short shifts. Get the puck in deep, cycle it down low, battle in front of the net, that sort of thing...concentrate on working hard rather than trying to get too fancy.

If the puck isn't going in for you its no reason not to backcheck.

The Slumpbuster; it's time-proven.

Just be safe: make sure she doesn't know your last name. :ph34r:

For roller hockey, I switched back to a black cage for a game and was missing passes and fanning on shots all night. Might have been the floor, but the cage threw my vision off completely.