Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KYHockey3

2007 MLB Thread

The bullpen has been great and consistent so far, everyone agrees with that. Even though Papelbon has been shaky at times

I'm not seeing how you figure that papelbon has a problem, he has blown 2 saves, Francisco Cordero's blown 5. The only guy in the top 10 in saves whos blown less than papelbon is billy wagner. The kids what 27? give the guy a break

and lets not forget, regarless of whos struggling or who's not performing or who's hurt, we still have the best record in baseball.

Timlin's actually hurt again. If they get anyone I wouldn't be surprised if Timlin isn't with Boston at the end of the year.

His numbers don't look that bad but he's back to letting inherited runners score, he's only brought his number down with a few good weeks in a row to make up for the start.

They pretty much need to lean on MDC/Okajima/Papelbon the rest of the year and hope they can get innings from starters. Though pretty much every major league bullpen has the same mindset, it just rarely works.

if lester can start pitching well and gabbard can stick around, maybe tavarez could go back to the pen to log a few innings when needed as well.

I would like to see Gabbard stick around in the rotation, but after the 14-9 game at Cleveland, I'm not so sure.

The main problem here isn't exactly the pitching... It's the hitting. The team isn't driving in runs when guys get on base or in scoring position, and it's rearing it's ugly head again today. 0-0 through 5+ innings isn't exactly a good thing... Inconsistency is the main problem and is the bane of all teams', not just the Red Sox.

I would like to see Gabbard stick around in the rotation, but after the 14-9 game at Cleveland, I'm not so sure.

The main problem here isn't exactly the pitching... It's the hitting. 0-0 through 5+ innings isn't exactly a good thing.

keep in mind they did face scott kazmire today though...

Looks like Dye's going to Boston for WMP and Delcarmen or Masterson.

Wow, overpaying a bit for a rental player, and where the hell is he going to play?

Looks like Dye's going to Boston for WMP and Delcarmen or Masterson.

Wow, overpaying a bit for a rental player, and where the hell is he going to play?

where did you hear that?

Gordon Edes is reporting it for the Globe, and he usually doesn't just sling shit.

ESPN picked up the same story too.

Gordon Edes is reporting it for the Globe, and he usually doesn't just sling shit.

ESPN picked up the same story too.

that sucks, like you said, dye is just a rental player, plus we don't need another OF.

do you have a link?

Mik3, all reports I've currently read on the deal between the Red Sox and White Sox and Dye have been saying any type of deal they were trying to strike has been dropped.

The White Sox wanted a deal including either Elisbury or Buchholz and the Red Sox weren't interested as those 2 are their top prospects as of now.

The Red Sox are however still trying to land Eric Gagne, and are apparently interested in Bobby Kielty from the A's.

I don't know, I've just read and heard most of the Dye to Boston trades are done.

Mik3, all reports I've currently read on the deal between the Red Sox and White Sox and Dye have been saying any type of deal they were trying to strike has been dropped.

The White Sox wanted a deal including either Elisbury or Buchholz and the Red Sox weren't interested as those 2 are their top prospects as of now.

The Red Sox are however still trying to land Eric Gagne, and are apparently interested in Bobby Kielty from the A's.

I don't know, I've just read and heard most of the Dye to Boston trades are done.

That was the original deal, when it also involved Milwaukee.

This is new stuff out of today's paper.

There's nowhere to logically play Dye. The only idea I had was trade Lowell, Youkilis to 3b, Ortiz to 1b. But Ortiz has talked about the knee all year so that's not happening.

That was the original deal, when it also involved Milwaukee.

This is new stuff out of today's paper.

There's nowhere to logically play Dye. The only idea I had was trade Lowell, Youkilis to 3b, Ortiz to 1b. But Ortiz has talked about the knee all year so that's not happening.

And even then, you're giving up defense. Youk and Lowell have been excellent and good, respectively, with the glove this year. WMP I can do without, but Delcarmen needs to stay -- although his outing yesterday was not good.

Another option (which won't happen), is have Ortiz go into surgery for his knee, and slide Dye into the DH spot. Funny as it sounds, I don't want Manny DH'ing, especially at Fenway. He plays the wall like no other. Again, it won't happen, but that's one of many unfeasible options to get Dye in there everyday.

personally, i'd like to see drew go instead of pena in the deal, have dye in RF everyday. however, that leaves us with 2 rightys who can hit.

But you lose a long term right fielder and have to scrape one together in the off-season. I am not content with having Wily Mo play everyday in right... He doesn't have very good range/fielding technique. And his bat isn't very good.

Fukudome is available, Fukudome is who I want the Yankees to replace Abreu with. And Drew has been a bust so far, so if someone was stupid enough to take his contract(which I don't think anyone is), he'd be worth dumping.

Well, that's the problem. Drew is being paid, what, 15 mil a year? Way too much. Any money would be too much for him at this point sitting at .260 and <40 RBI. They were expecting .300 and over 100 RBIs to protect Manny. Not as such.

Someone, take him! PLEASE!

EDIT: Back on topic, to Roger, he hasn't exactly been the best. 3-5 with a 3.92 ERA through 10 starts? Not great, but the Yankees are getting hot like they do every year after the break.

How 'bout those Cubbies, though? They've been on fire since Lou got ejected. Crazy times, these are.

Great move by the Sox getting Gagne, but they gave up too much. Gabbard and Murphy are trash but Beltre was the #2 ranked international signee last year and is still 17. It's not like Gagne's going to be a type A free agent and get the sox two #1s after he signs somewhere.

adding gagne to already the best bullpen in the league. just think about it, game over in the 6th inning, okajima, gagne, papelbon...

i did like gabby though.

I do take solace in the fact Papelbon's not looking too different than he did last year when his shoulder went kaputski in late august.

Having visions of that happening again, Mik3?

I hope not... He goes down, the team goes kaput, especially if Ortiz/Manny/Drew/Whole Lineup don't pick up the slack.

Having visions of that happening again, Mik3?

I hope not... He goes down, the team goes kaput, especially if Ortiz/Manny/Drew/Whole Lineup don't pick up the slack.

Although the Yankees have started to figure him out, I think Okajima or Gagne could step in and close.

I realize this trade could become lopsided in the long run, but I don't think either Gabbard or Murphy were in the long term plans. I know next to nothing about Beltre. I googled and saw a notes column from Cafardo at the beginning of the season in which the Latin American director spoke highly of Beltre, but if the kid doesn't make it to the big leagues for another five years while the Sox go deep in the playoffs, that's a price the big spending teams are willing to make -- especially those in the AL East.

I do take solace in the fact Papelbon's not looking too different than he did last year when his shoulder went kaputski in late august.

I think his lack of sharpness come more from lack of use. I also read a quote from another closer (Seattle's?) earlier in the year who made a similar switch from starting, and he said training to be a closer is different from training to be a starter. Thus, he believes Papelbon's shoulder should be strengthened enought that the weakness shouldn't reemerge.