Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KYHockey3

2007 MLB Thread

Can't wait to see the Yanks in about a month... Wang-Clemens-Petitte-Mussina-Hughes

wow does that sound apealing...

sportscenter broke the contract down to the minute: $107 and change per minute lol. f*cked up.

For those who say he pitched in a very week division, well, can't argue that. But also consider the fact that he didn't get roughed up those years the Astros were in the playoffs and he was doing the same thing to playoff teams.

His lowest ERA in five season with the Yankees was 3.51, and that was six seasons ago. It's possible a shorter season will help him. It's possible six years of greater knowledge will help him. However, it's likely he will not be anywhere near the low 2's he threw in Houston.

I think he's actually a better pitcher (key word, pitcher) now then when he was a Yankee the first time. His stuff was so good then, he just threw it and struck you out. Now, he sets up pitchers and kills you with the split finger.

Just relying on your stuff alone will make your ERA higher then a guy with good stuff and great pitching mind

I dunno. He was a four-time Cy Young winner before arriving at New York; I don't think he won those solely by being a thrower.

Based on his last stint in the AL, aging him by three years, but giving him the benefit of only four months wear-and-tear and possibly being a smarter pitcher, my guess is his ERA will probably be around 3.4 to 3.7. That would probably put him in the Top 10 for the league, but not contending for the ERA championship. With the Yankee's offense, he'll probably win 11-13 games, assuming no injuries.

Oh, I'm not taking a single thing away from him, and he certainly wasn't a 'thrower'. I consider a thrower someone who decides what pitches he's going to throw, throws it the absolute best he can, but doesn't have the accuracy. That was never the Rockets case. He has great control. What I meant by being more of a pitcher was that he'll do more setting up pitches, and instead of using the heater to strike a guy out, he'll use the hard fastball (maybe a bit out of the zone) to set up striking you out with the split finger fastball

If he gets that many wins it'll be amazing. If he hits 10 I think thats a job greatly done, since I don't think he'll break 20 games started. But we're talking about the regular season, and as anyone knows, that means very little in the yankee universe.

he seems to be doing ok tonight!

i know a pitcher that almost got to pitch vs him tonight.

too bad my freind didnt get too, itd be amazing to see!

what do u all think about his michael jordan like returns, considering he retires then comes back?

up to this point he's returning and being productive, shows that he's not the kind of guy to stop working hard and just sit on the couch eating chips... His time will come and his days will be over sooner or later but no matter who he plays for; GO ROCKET!

I don't know how long you've been in the US, so maybe you were too young to know, but did news of the Yanks/Red Sox/Lakers/Celtics/Cowboys/Bulls make it to Ireland.

I've read about Manchester United, Arsenal, Real Madrid and some of the European hockey teams, so I figure the news goes both ways.

Division lead by the all-star break? Quite the possibility.

Playoff spot by next week? Why not.

I don't know how long you've been in the US, so maybe you were too young to know, but did news of the Yanks/Red Sox/Lakers/Celtics/Cowboys/Bulls make it to Ireland.

I've read about Manchester United, Arsenal, Real Madrid and some of the European hockey teams, so I figure the news goes both ways.

I've been here long enough to see some of those teams, but the "good" BoSox/Yankees rivalry that came back for a few years has been dead since '04 in my mind. It's just sad how any little move either of these teams make seems to make people think they're going to get an automatic spot in the WS.

I've been here long enough to see some of those teams, but the "good" BoSox/Yankees rivalry that came back for a few years has been dead since '04 in my mind. It's just sad how any little move either of these teams make seems to make people think they're going to get an automatic spot in the WS.

I agree. It's stupid because a single player can only do soo much. Especially if he's a starting pitcher going out there every 5 games. It takes a team effort to make it to the playoffs, let alone the WS. Rocket isn't the reason why the Yankees are making a run or possibly make it in the playoffs, he'll just be a supporting cast member at best.

I'll rephrase the question.

How much news of American sports makes it to overseas? Again, I occasionally read mention of European teams, or even Japanese baseball teams, so I'm curious how much the Europeans know of our leagues.

I'll rephrase the question.

How much news of American sports makes it to overseas? Again, I occasionally read mention of European teams, or even Japanese baseball teams, so I'm curious how much the Europeans know of our leagues.

i know in South America, the NBA is covered pretty decently. Alot has to do with the rise of Latin American players in the NBA recently I'm sure (Ginobili, etc). Argentina won the basketball Gold Medal in 2004 for example.

I don't know about how our sports report overseas, but what I do know is that the Japanese media is covering the Red Sox a lot, because of Daisuke Matsuzaka (and Hideki Okajima to a lesser extent). I'd also imagine they cover the Yankees because of Matsui as well.

Back on topic... It's not like the Yankees are making a run right now because of their pitching. In June, they've gone 13-3 and are scoring 7 runs per game. You can still have a mediocre pitching staff (like the Yankees do) and win all those games by scoring 7 runs each time.

Except, the Yankees have had really good pitching this month also.

The problem early on was none of the starters were going long, add that in with Torre being horrible at managing a bullpen and you have Proctor and Vizcaino pitching every day.

Now that they're not needed as much they've shown their talent. And then of course there's Brian Bruney, who'd handle the 8th for a hell of a lot of teams.

Oh and about Matsuzaka/Matsui. Matsuzaka wasn't really THAT popular in Japan, not to the level Ichiro or Matsui were. His first season isn't being followed nearly as close.

Truthfully, I have no idea because I never heard of the guy until last fall, but Baseball-Reference, which usually is fairly neutral, has the opening entry of "Daisuke Matsuzaka was considered by many to be the greatest and most popular pitcher in Nippon Pro Baseball from 1999-2006 before going to the United States, though he only won one Sawamura Award."

By the way, did any of you check out the Rocket video a couple of posts back? Might want to....

i'll tell you why not, because A-Rod is one player, it doesn't matter how many homeruns he hits, he can't win ballgames by himself, you need an entire team. Same with Clemens, he's one guy, one aging guy, he was great 5 years ago, the yankees are down by what, 9 games still? get over yourself...

Yeah, but they made up 5.5 games in 2 weeks. And now Schilling looks like he'll be out a while. By august the lead will be down to under 5 games. The Yanks are just slowly chipping away at the lead.

And as far as Dice-K, he was definitely the most popular pitcher. Thats easy when you're by far the best. In Matsui and Ichiros case though, they were pretty much considered national heros. For us hockey players, its like Matsui and Ichiro were Gretzky and Mario, and Dice-K was, say, Roy.

i'll tell you why not, because A-Rod is one player, it doesn't matter how many homeruns he hits, he can't win ballgames by himself, you need an entire team. Same with Clemens, he's one guy, one aging guy, he was great 5 years ago, the yankees are down by what, 9 games still? get over yourself...

As a Red Sox fan, I hate to say this, but the Yankees ARE NOT a one man show. Jeter and Posada have been hitting great all year, while the rest of their lineup is starting to heat up. Wang and Mussina are also starting to return to form, so the Bombers definitely have a chance to catch the Sox, and a good one at that.