Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

KYHockey3

2007 MLB Thread

eh, he's got a long way to come if he's giving up HRs and a hit an inning to A ball players.

he'll do ok when he comes up, he's lucky he didn't go to the AL, he would have finished the short year with about a 5era

He says he slotted that to the guy who got the HR, but I can't see Clemens gift-wrapping anything for someone.

He says he slotted that to the guy who got the HR, but I can't see Clemens gift-wrapping anything for someone.

Wow. I don't think the Rocket would ever just put it right down the pipe to anyone, not even an A level minor leaguer. That kid will probably remember that for the rest of his life. I can see it now:

"Did you ever play in the major leagues daddy?"

"Nope, but I did hit a homerun off of Roger Clemens."

he didnt look to be trying that hard. i mean he struck out 2 in the 1st inning and gave up a homer. the homer was his only mistake really.

he also hit a kid

signed a 23 million dollar deal i think it was

the sportscasted said he's making like 4 mill a month

thats insane

28 million... on the radio today they broke things down... he basically is making $9,000 every single pitch, a $150,000 a start (assuming an average of 5 innings)... pretty insane

On the other hand, Thank God!!!! I flipped out yesterday. Me and my gf were at fridays watching (well, I was watching lol) the Yanks game and the Sabres game. All of the sudden Roger Clemens appears in the middle of the seventh and I shot up out of my seat. I would have loved to go to that game, the stadium just went nuts

Can't wait to see the Yanks in about a month... Wang-Clemens-Petitte-Mussina-Hughes

Hopefully our bullpen isn't blown out by then, though I think they'll pick up a good relief arm by the trade deadline, if theres a good one to be had.

28 million... on the radio today they broke things down... he basically is making $9,000 every single pitch, a $150,000 a start (assuming an average of 5 innings)... pretty insane

On the other hand, Thank God!!!! I flipped out yesterday. Me and my gf were at fridays watching (well, I was watching lol) the Yanks game and the Sabres game. All of the sudden Roger Clemens appears in the middle of the seventh and I shot up out of my seat. I would have loved to go to that game, the stadium just went nuts

Can't wait to see the Yanks in about a month... Wang-Clemens-Petitte-Mussina-Hughes

Hopefully our bullpen isn't blown out by then, though I think they'll pick up a good relief arm by the trade deadline, if theres a good one to be had.

...I heard one break down this morning...$33,000 per out (based on his past history).

you're right, he's not THE answer... but he's also not a question, which is saying something about this rotation. Of course the Yankee/Clemens haters will say that he is questionable considering his age, moving to the AL, etc, but he's left no room to question him after putting up unbelievable years in his 40's.

Plus I can't think of anyone better to have around Phil Hughes

oh, of course he's not a big question... He's the Rocket, he's going to win games.

The problem with the Yankees is bigger than the starting rotation, it starts with Brian Cashman. Although, now that king George seems to be stepping-in and keeping Cashman(kinda ironic huh) under control; the issues, while still very obvious, are somewhat getting resolved.

sure he's the rocket, but you have to remember, he has been playing the worst division in baseball for years. and now he's going to be facing two of the most potent offenses in the league in boston and toronto...

he will pitch well but i don't think he's what the yankees need.

*maybe a little bias coming from a sox fan*

The problem with the Yankees is bigger than the starting rotation, it starts with Brian Cashman. Although, now that king George seems to be stepping-in and keeping Cashman(kinda ironic huh) under control; the issues, while still very obvious, are somewhat getting resolved.

That's interesting you say that. I know we had a thread last year in which I said that Sox fans like when Steinbrenner gets involved. If you look at the history of his ownership, they haven't won championships when he pulled too many strings, whereas they did win when he granted Gene Michaels or Cashman autonomy.

Regarding the Clemens signing, even though I was hoping he'd bring his career to a storybook ending, it became obvious he was going to end up with the Yankees. I knew there was no way George could afford to be outspent, since the Yankees had such a severe need for starters. The Yankees offense is outstanding, but they were at risk of falling too far behind without better pitching. (Teams shouldn't lose games in which they score 11 runs.) However, it was too early in the season for other teams to jettison salaries, so the only way the Yanks could pick up a frontline starter was by signing Clemens.

What will be interesting is how well will he pitch in the American League? Given the Yanks' offense, it will probably be well enough to pick up 9-11 wins by season's end, but nowhere near an ERA of 2 that he had in Houston.

Another question that isn't limited to Clemens is what will be the affect of Mitchell's committee subpoening 20 active players? Because of his dominance at his age, I've read that there have been whispers. Without knowing what the truth is, it's obvious that even those players who aren't subpoenaed could still be affected.

That's interesting you say that. I know we had a thread last year in which I said that Sox fans like when Steinbrenner gets involved. If you look at the history of his ownership, they haven't won championships when he pulled too many strings, whereas they did win when he granted Gene Michaels or Cashman autonomy.

Regarding the Clemens signing, even though I was hoping he'd bring his career to a storybook ending, it became obvious he was going to end up with the Yankees. I knew there was no way George could afford to be outspent, since the Yankees had such a severe need for starters. The Yankees offense is outstanding, but they were at risk of falling too far behind without better pitching. (Teams shouldn't lose games in which they score 11 runs.) However, it was too early in the season for other teams to jettison salaries, so the only way the Yanks could pick up a frontline starter was by signing Clemens.

What will be interesting is how well will he pitch in the American League? Given the Yanks' offense, it will probably be well enough to pick up 9-11 wins by season's end, but nowhere near an ERA of 2 that he had in Houston.

Another question that isn't limited to Clemens is what will be the affect of Mitchell's committee subpoening 20 active players? Because of his dominance at his age, I've read that there have been whispers. Without knowing what the truth is, it's obvious that even those players who aren't subpoenaed could still be affected.

His history yes, but with pressure from other part owners as well as not winning it all in a decade his approach seemed to change. Cashman just spent and spent and traded away all young talent(old Steinbrenner style) until it reached a point where he had to pull the plug and dump some salary. It seems like the team is heading in the right direction(no stupid trades)... if only they'd stop pumping money into big bats instead of strong all-around pitching.

Back when the Yanks were winning world series the farm system was strong and the major league team was stronger... that's the way it should be. Not where the farm teams are deluted and the major league team is grasping to reach the playoffs. I love the Yankees(have all my life), but I hate the way the team has been run recently.

Mr Burns - "That damn hipnotist has turned my starting pitcher into a chicken"

Clemens - "Buck Buck Buck BUUUCCCK!"

One of the best Simpsons episodes ever.

While I bleed pinstripes, and I love the Rocket, he is getting older and is good for 5, 6 innings, and then its turned over to the pen which as we have seen tonight is terrible.

I was at the game tonight and Matt DeSalvo pitched very nicely, (one run and three hits in 7 innings) then Farnsworth wasn't great although the Umps blew the call that allowed the game to be tied, but why would Rivera ever give up a homer with 2 outs in the ninth? Terrible.

Word on the street is the Jankees are gonna be going after KRod in the near future, (this season, next season)