Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ti-girl

Playing with a weak partner

As I said before, I've been moved back to play defense.

I can't really say that I enjoy it, because I'm used to being an offensive player. Anyway, our team is still trying to "adjust lines" and people are playing different positions. But me. The girl playing defense with me is one of our weaker players.

How do I play with her and still keep my game? I feel like I'm always running around trying to get in the shooting lanes. I'm fast enough and have strong enough hockey sense to recover if I make a mistake.

What do I do? I want to keep contributing to the team offensivley but I also want to play strong defense.

Here's an example of what I mean. The last game the other team kept going for a backdoor play and they kept going for 2 on 1s. I would play the pass, taking away their shooting lane where my partner was either JUST coming back or she would be standing along the boards.

Playing as the strong partner puts you in a good situation to teach the RIGHT way to play the position. Your playing it right by taking the pass away-thats about all you can do on the odd man rush

It does get frustrating though I will admit

For now I would play your defense role until the team settles down and figures out who is where.

Strong defense is just as important of a contribution as offense.

Do your forwards have enough of a gamesense to cover for you if you rush?

Talk to them on and off the ice to help them get better. Of course there is a positive way and a negative way to do so. Obviously the former is better.

As I said before, I've been moved back to play defense.

I can't really say that I enjoy it, because I'm used to being an offensive player. Anyway, our team is still trying to "adjust lines" and people are playing different positions. But me. The girl playing defense with me is one of our weaker players.

How do I play with her and still keep my game? I feel like I'm always running around trying to get in the shooting lanes. I'm fast enough and have strong enough hockey sense to recover if I make a mistake.

What do I do? I want to keep contributing to the team offensivley but I also want to play strong defense.

Here's an example of what I mean. The last game the other team kept going for a backdoor play and they kept going for 2 on 1s. I would play the pass, taking away their shooting lane where my partner was either JUST coming back or she would be standing along the boards.

I'm feel your pain.My defensive partner got hurt early in the season, and my new one is slow and doesn't like to skate backwards.I find myself playing back more instead of holding the line.

This is actually a common problem. The easy answer is that you need to work as a team. Granted your skill levels are at differing levels etc. I would suggest acting in more of a quarter back in the defensive zone.

Hopefully your relationship with your partner is good and they acknowledge that you can provide some guidance to assist their game. If so, give them some pointers, but don't expect them to play at your level.

You will need to sit back a bit more and keep an eye on your partner. Instead of skating out in the passing lanes, you will need to play a bit more conservative. Work on your body positioning, but don't over commit with the assumption that your partner will be there.

Hope that helps

-dave

i know how you feel :P

some of my linemates who play RW skate into my LW and I have to play their position, then they decide that they want to play center and then my team gets scored on. Oh and my defense thinks its funny to skate the puck into the offensive zone and GLIDE back into our zone while the other team is walking in with a 3-on-0 :rolleyes:

Ok, sorry maybe it's just late and I'm cranky.

But...is it just me or have like half of your damn posts been about how awesome you are and how shit everyone else is at hockey? It sounds like you have some confidence problem or something and need to prove to a bunch of strangers that you are the best player on your team, and you go about this by making several thinly veiled posts asking how you can possibly play with such inferior talent.

If your team is so bad and you are so good, here is a suggestion: find a new team!

I feel like I'm always running around trying to get in the shooting lanes. I'm fast enough and have strong enough hockey sense to recover if I make a mistake.

Players who run around all over the ice tend to not know how to play their position. You want to learn how to anticipate where to be, and then be there before the play is made, rather than seeing who just got the puck and skating over there after the fact!

Here's a suggestion for pretty well all of your problems with this team. Try and make them better. Don't try and help the team win yourself by going end to end all the time and screwing the girl beside you on how the game should be played. Play in safe positions, the proper positions, to make them learn how the game should be played. You are putting alot of emphasis on how good you are in comparison. The best players don't dominate the game as much as they could. This is how you can tell someone is truly above the level they are at. They have the potential to do whatever they want, but they chose to play the game the way it's meant to be played. You try and keep them in the safe positions by doing the difficult jobs, but not doing all of the jobs. Play your side, and do what you can. Help them evolve as players. From the sounds of your post your putting alot of emphasis on how to keep yourself looking good. Which isn't bad, but if the league is that poor, maybe you should look elsewhere.