Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hockeysew

Getting back into the game

So heres the issue :blink:

I took a 5 year sabbatical from competetive play-I was in the Competetive Beer leagues and a decent player (middle o' the road)

I've come back to play in the Over 40 Competetive Beer leagues and have played 5 games so far.

I'm a little frustrated with my level of play, (missed picking up the open man, getting smoked on breakaways, not playing my position the way I used too etc.)

I know it will take a bit of time to get back to where I was but my question is:

Should I continue to play in the Comp. league and battle to get my game back at a fast pace with players that are clearly above me at this time.

Or:

Step down to the Intermediate league that rolls a little slower so I have time to think about my game as it happens.

I want to do what is best for me plus my team-I have felt at times that I am a liability to them-Ive missed the open man 4 times and they have scored because of it.

That to me is very frustrating

Watcha all think?

Thanks all in advance

If you have the time and money to do so I'd consider staying in the Competitive division and also playing in the Intermediate division on a second night. That way you'll get some extra ice time at a slightly lower level and be able to work on some things without giving up the Competitive play (playing against the stronger players should help you push yourself). As much ice time as possible should help you get your game back so a night or two of pickup could help as well, but a league is better as there's more focus on defence and positioning in league wheras pickup involves loose positioning and D.

If you feel that, you are competing decently at the higher level I would stay. Everyone makes mistakes but as long as you can learn from them and are improving stick with it. Leaving a man open just sounds like a mental thing and getting smoked on breakaways…try to adjust your timing…err on the side of caution and back up sooner than you would in your normal league.

Do a net search for sport visualizing techniques...that will help the mental aspect of the game.

If you are feeling overwhelmed because you just cannot play physically at that level then yes maybe a step down to polish your game would be best.

At the end of the day if you feel that you could improve i would advise you to stay, but if you seriously think you are a problem to your team i would go down and try extra hard in the lower league and try to go back up next season

How about adding pickup hockey to your list.

Its not that expensive and way more mentally relaxing as your not worried about letting teamates down. I find I can work things out better in pickup if I"m working on something I've never done before.

Step down. Face it, you're getting old. Play in a league where you can contribute, but not dominate. You're playing for fun now. Being the worst guy on the team isn't fun, it's just frustrating.

Step down. Face it, you're getting old. Play in a league where you can contribute, but not dominate. You're playing for fun now. Being the worst guy on the team isn't fun, it's just frustrating.

Ditto. Also, you are probably frustrating some of the more competitive players on the Comp team. It won't take long to get things back on the Intro team, at which time you can go back to the Comp league. Also, I see a lot of returning players getting injured because they are coming back at too high a level.

Step down.  Face it, you're getting old.  Play in a league where you can contribute, but not dominate.  You're playing for fun now.  Being the worst guy on the team isn't fun, it's just frustrating.

Ditto. Also, you are probably frustrating some of the more competitive players on the Comp team. It won't take long to get things back on the Intro team, at which time you can go back to the Comp league. Also, I see a lot of returning players getting injured because they are coming back at too high a level.

This is one of my biggest concerns

If I get hurt I cant work-putting bread and beans on the table is more important than some other things in life.

Im not the worst guy on the team but I know I'm not playing at the level that I am capable of-that is the part that is really frustrating. I know that I am frustrating a couple of the guys and I dont feel that that is fair to them. I dont know, I have thought about asking the rest of the team before our next game and getting there thoughts on it.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Step down.  Face it, you're getting old.  Play in a league where you can contribute, but not dominate.  You're playing for fun now.  Being the worst guy on the team isn't fun, it's just frustrating.

This is one of my biggest concerns

If I get hurt I cant work-putting bread and beans on the table is more important than some other things in life.

Im not the worst guy on the team but I know I'm not playing at the level that I am capable of-that is the part that is really frustrating. I know that I am frustrating a couple of the guys and I dont feel that that is fair to them. I dont know, I have thought about asking the rest of the team before our next game and getting there thoughts on it.

Do you think this is a good idea?

It sounds like you are at the same point in life I am. When I was younger I played to win, now that I'm older I play for enjoyment and exercise.

If your getting frustrated at the level your at, step down a level so you are enjoying it more. It's not worth playing if your not having fun.