Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

socom

Excessive drinking

It's constantly about 90 degrees where I live, and since I'm outside all day, I drink around 9-10 bottles of water a day, not including whatever I drink when I'm not practicing. Would drinking this much be a problem during a game. or will it help in some way, or does it not affect you at all?

It's actually good for you.

up to a point. If you are sweating that much and/or drinking that much you also need to replace electrolytes and other minerals in your body. Believe it or not, you can actually drink to much water (it happens most frequently to long distance runners).

I wouldn't be too concerned about drinking too much water. If it really worries you I'd suggest taking a multivitamin once a day and eating a banana for extra potassium.

It's actually good for you.

up to a point. If you are sweating that much and/or drinking that much you also need to replace electrolytes and other minerals in your body. Believe it or not, you can actually drink to much water (it happens most frequently to long distance runners).

it is called hyponutremia. They had something about it on HBO one time. With long distance runners they dilute their blood because they are not putting back into their body everything the sweat out. You dilute the salt content in your blood and need to put back the electrolytes into your body or you start to loose musle function. If you are outside and sweat a lot durring the day, try to mix in some sport drinks here and there, or just add a little extra salt to any food you eat durring the day

Also, drinking too much water or a combination of any liquids for that matter make your kidneys work harder than they should so it could indeed be a problem. But you need to drink lots of liquids and do no sports or exercise. They say that one to two litres of water/liquids a day is enough for a sedentary person. Than you you should add one extra litre per hour of exercise. A banana is a good thing to eat. Adding some pure orange juice and some salt to your drink is good too, better than the sports drinks that are too high in sugar.

Just to see if I got ti right so far. I should still drink as much but mixing in bananas, salt, and sports drinks regularly, even if I'm not excising or playing?

Just to see if I got ti right so far. I should still drink as much but mixing in bananas, salt, and sports drinks regularly, even if I'm not excising or playing?

one thing about bananas is that they are not easily digestable, so don't eat them to close to game time.

My preference is for sports drinks or fruit juices (stay away from ones high in citric acid), just not in excess. Not only do they hydrate you and bring your electrolyte levels up they also help increase your blood sugar & glycemic level

You are making this a much larger issue than it is. Get to know your own body and worry more about playing. Don't eat or drink anything heavily before a game. Bananas are good, gatorade should be drank before the game to stock up on electrolytes. Other than that, worry about playing

It is a personal thing. Some players can drink a lot of water and have no ill effect. Other players get all wobbly and tired from lack of salt. I, personally, have to take a around 4 salt tablets/day when I am out hiking in the summer, otherwise I get to the top of the mountain and lie down for a nap!

It is also a somewhat trained thing. If you work out with a straw hanging from your mouth so that you can sip all day long, then guess what--when you are playing hockey your boddy is going to need constant water also. It is best to toughen up a little and use the water more sparingly during training.

To put it kind of simply, it sounds gross, but if your piss is yellowish brown and smells bad you are dehydrated. If its clear, your hydrated.

drink when you are thirsty. If your outside working, or sweating, drink some water. When you practice, drink water whenever you can. Theres no such thing as being "tough" by not needing water. Not drinking water only leads to dehydration which leads to pulled muscles and cramps.

You are making this a much larger issue than it is. Get to know your own body and worry more about playing. Don't eat or drink anything heavily before a game. Bananas are good, gatorade should be drank before the game to stock up on electrolytes. Other than that, worry about playing

That is the best advice I've seen. I used to worry about what I ate and I'd play like shit. I just block it out and play now.

It is a personal thing. Some players can drink a lot of water and have no ill effect. Other players get all wobbly and tired from lack of salt. I, personally, have to take a around 4 salt tablets/day when I am out hiking in the summer, otherwise I get to the top of the mountain and lie down for a nap!

It is also a somewhat trained thing. If you work out with a straw hanging from your mouth so that you can sip all day long, then guess what--when you are playing hockey your boddy is going to need constant water also. It is best to toughen up a little and use the water more sparingly during training.

I'm just the opposite, if I take salt or electrolyte tablets it makes me dizzy.

Just do what your body is telling you to do.

It is a personal thing.  Some players can drink a lot of water and have no ill effect.  Other players get all wobbly and tired from lack of salt.  I, personally, have to take a around 4 salt tablets/day when I am out hiking in the summer, otherwise I get to the top of the mountain and lie down for a nap! 

It is also a somewhat trained thing.  If you work out with a straw hanging from your mouth so that you can sip all day long, then guess what--when you are playing hockey your boddy is going to need constant water also.  It is best to toughen up a little and use the water more sparingly during training.

That is right bro. listen to what the flesh is telling you!

one thing about bananas is that they are not easily digestable, so don't eat them to close to game time.

My preference is for sports drinks or fruit juices (stay away from ones high in citric acid), just not in excess. Not only do they hydrate you and bring your electrolyte levels up they also help increase your blood sugar & glycemic level

It's not entirely through. If you watch tennis matches on a regular basis you'll see that the players, specially in best of 5, eat a banana during their short breaks. They usually take a bite or two, then some water, water mixed with orange juice and salt. You never see them drink gatorade and all that crap. A pro tennis player usually spend more energy in a match than a hockey player will in a game. The problem with sports drinks like Gatorade and Powerade is the amount of sugar they contain. Same with energy drinks and bars. To much sugar. You are much better off eating some whole wheat pasta and some lean protein an hour or two before game time than having one of these bars or drinks. If you take the drinks to energize you before a game, skip it and drink a coffee instead. It's much cheaper and will give you pretty much the same effect, granted the taste may not be as good as et artificially flavored drink but you'll reek the same benefits for way less money. Here the Red Bulls and such go for 3 to 4$ a can (250ml) while a coffe is a 1.25$. There is lots of hype around sports and energy drink but they don't really do much for you and certainly don't replace real food and good eating habits... ask any nutrionists and they'll tell you that you'll be much better off eating well balanced meals and snacks before and after your games and/or workouts than taking energy drinks and bars, sports drink or whey protein for that matter

It is a personal thing.  Some players can drink a lot of water and have no ill effect.  Other players get all wobbly and tired from lack of salt.  I, personally, have to take a around 4 salt tablets/day when I am out hiking in the summer, otherwise I get to the top of the mountain and lie down for a nap! 

It is also a somewhat trained thing.  If you work out with a straw hanging from your mouth so that you can sip all day long, then guess what--when you are playing hockey your boddy is going to need constant water also.  It is best to toughen up a little and use the water more sparingly during training.

That is right bro. listen to what the flesh is telling you!

I disagree with all of that. Your body can get accustomed to certain addicting products like cafeine, nicotine, drugs or medication etc but not to water because your body needs water to survive and needs it iregularly to be at it's peak. Drinking regularly can only enhance your performance as long as you're not drinking a litre of water per minute that is. Your body won't get accustomed to sipping water continuously and then require that in order to perform. You are supposed to keep yourself hydrated all the time. Any nutrionist or doctor for that matter would or at least should tell you that you should not wait till you are thirsty to drink because if you do so, then it's too late. By keeping yourself hydrated continuously, you keep your body well oiled per say and give it the tools it needs to keep performing.... Health professionals are on TV all the time here when it gets hot and humid out reminding everybody to keep hydrated by drinking small doses continuously, and that's for sedentary people.. then they remind those who will be active to pay even more attention to keeping hydrated. Water is the source of life and is the prime fuel for your body as it is what contributes the most to make your nutrients travel in your blood and bring all that energy, vitamins etc. to your muscles and vital organs in order for your body to perform at its best. Do not underestimate the power of water lol!!

For tennis, theres a simple rule. Drink before the match to be hydrated fro the first set, drink during the first set for the second set, and so on. Same principle should be valid for hockey.

there is a difference between gatorade in a bottle and what you will find on the side lines or on any professional bench. That gatorade is more watered down, about to the point where you would take a bottle of gatorade and pour half of it out and fill the bottle back up with water. You have to dilute gatorade for it to really be the kinda drink someone would need