Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guy Incognito

Backwards Crossover

If you happen to have Comcast OnDemand, I came across instructional videos a couple months back in the sports section.

Don't know about any videos, but one thing you want to make sure to do is flick your toe out with every stride. When you're working on it just exaggerate it to the point of ridiculousness so that eventually it becomes habit. You'll be surprised how much it helps.

One thing that helped me was to concentrate on the inside leg going under rather than the outside coming over. Then I found flicking my inside toe helped alot as mentioned above. I am still working on being able to string several crossovers together. Right now I can do one crossover and then recover and another and recover. How often in a game do you all do several crossovers in a row? I may just not be playing hard enough to need it yet.

I honestly can't think of a time where I'll do more than maybe 3 in a row...I usually only use them to quickly, and powerfully, accelerate backwards...or quick changes of direction. Other than that the only time I use them is in practice when skating lines or what-not. Also: make sure when you start out doing them you're exaggerating every movement. Make strides as long as you can, and as powerful as you can. If you're shoddy at it, then all that means is that you need to keep on doing it and looking ridiculous until you feel comfortable with it. Once you get the technique down, then comes the speed. Also, don't be at an angle to the ice. You want your "trunk" from the waist up to be almost at a 90-degree angle to the ice. That way it's harder to lose balance.

Also, don't be at an angle to the ice. You want your "trunk" from the waist up to be almost at a 90-degree angle to the ice. That way it's harder to lose balance.

You mean your body is basically vertical and your legs do the leaning right? Thanks for the tips. I discovered that exaggerating the movements does help, and I do need to do alot more of it. I just have to get over the "fear" of falling. I am old enough to not really worry about looking dumb. It's the pain that hurts :)

One thing I have noticed is that it feels really good when I use all four "edges". I don't know if you experienced guys still are impressed with the feeling, but it really struck me as unique when it happened the first few times.

Speaking of leaning foreword, do different (inline) skates make a difference in backwards skating? Specifically I am thinking of a comparison between the foreword lean of a Mission Hi-Lo versus the straight 80 of a Beemer. It seems like, in theory, the Beemer's would be better suited to backwards skating, and therefore perhaps defensive, players. They may therefore be more versatile.

I don't know, I am just throwing thoughts around...

The Robbie Glantz skating video has great camerawork and it's really easy to see what's going on with each stride.

It's not as much a crossover as it is reaching in with your inside leg and pulling the outside leg in. The outside skate doesn't even need to leave the ice.

It's not as much a crossover as it is reaching in with your inside leg and pulling the outside leg in. The outside skate doesn't even need to leave the ice.

That is exactly what I have noticed. Man am I glad you say that is okay. I thought I was doing something wrong. But learning to work the outside leg will give more acceleration right.

Thanks for the tips fellas. Here's a question I have...

Does the C-cut skate actually make an "S" on the ice? Meaning, using your left leg for the C-cut, the leg moves back out, still maintaining contact with the ice, making an "S" as it crosses the other skate?

That's why I'm looking for a video. I think I'm trying to make it make sense to me.

Does the C-cut skate actually make an "S" on the ice? Meaning, using your left leg for the C-cut, the leg moves back out, still maintaining contact with the ice, making an "S" as it crosses the other skate?

That's why I'm looking for a video. I think I'm trying to make it make sense to me.

Guy,

I'm not sure what you are asking. It's hard to communicate this stuff over a forum. Try Glantz's video, it's really good at showing you what's going on.

The Robbie Glantz skating video has great camerawork and it's really easy to see what's going on with each stride.

Hey Trooper thanks...that looks like a great video, I ordered it.

The website has a clip of backwards skating.

Robby Glantz

The Laura Stamm books show the skate paths.

If you have a chance to watch figure skaters in person I suggest you do so. They do a lot of backward crossovers and their strides are longer and more fluid than a hockey player making it easier to watch and learn.

Good luck!

as stated previously..it's the inside leg that does the work...extend your "reach in" with that leg, and use it to "pull yourself closer" to the arch of the turn if you wish..the outside foot is mostly for "steering". Not only do you pull back toward your centerline, but continue under your body to drive with that leg...."cross unders" would be a more appropriate term than "cross overs".

as stated previously..it's the inside leg that does the work...extend your "reach in" with that leg, and use it to "pull yourself closer" to the arch of the turn if you wish..the outside foot is mostly for "steering". Not only do you pull back toward your centerline, but continue under your body to drive with that leg...."cross unders" would be a more appropriate term than "cross overs".

Agreed. I think of it as reaching with my inside leg, planting the edge and pulling my body over that leg. It's the "pulling" motion where you get your power.

not many people agree with me on the forums but i can tell you that it is more about driving under with the inside leg.

i find it helps to make a hard c-cut with the outside leg and then push under with the inside leg while you continue the c-cut and pull the outside leg across in front of the inside one.

not many people agree with me on the forums but i can tell you that it is more about driving under with the inside leg.

i find it helps to make a hard c-cut with the outside leg and then push under with the inside leg while you continue the c-cut and pull the outside leg across in front of the inside one.

Lets see another video... it would help us more :lol:

Agreed. I think of it as reaching with my inside leg, planting the edge and pulling my body over that leg. It's the "pulling" motion where you get your power.

What helped me "get" this many moons ago was the visualization of crossing under and "pulling the ice towards me".

Lets see another video... it would help us more :lol:

rollinglaugh.gif

That's great. I think a video would be ideal from Domi...

The imagery from each of you has helped a lot in my approach to working on this. It's difficult sometimes to determine which leg is doing what during the sequence, especially watching someone at full speed.