Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MJDhcky9

Flexibility

Flexibility is very important in hockey and I was just wondering what areas of the body should you focus on and what is the best way to get really flexible

Try and stretch all your muscles if possible. You never know what and where the injury might be. Best way to be flexible is to really keep on stretching, especially during warm ups and cool downs.

Flexibility is important as far as range of motion goes. If a lack of flexibility is preventing you from reaching full range of motion in a hockey movement, work on that. Just being flexible does not reduce injury.

Flexibility can help your play a good deal as well....It's not just important to prevent injuries.

Stretch everything, but your hamstrings, hips, groin, thigh, and lower back region are critical.

I echoe that, plus wrist and forearm flexibility is important if you want to have a more powerful shot.

It's REALLY important for a goalie :)

Here is what my Physical Therapist taught me:

To gain flexability you MUST hold the position for 30-120 seconds. 2 minutes is best starting out with a constant stretch then pushing it farther every 20 seconds or so. Push without pain, It's called Stretching, not tearing. My hamstring are more flexable now at age 40 then I was at 30 because my PT taught me proper stretching for flexability.

Quick 10-20 second stretches may be work in warm ups but won't gain flexability.

I've been told (and it seems to work) to warm up (skate around, jump rope etc) first, then strech before the game. Don't do deep stretching before the game cold then go on the ice. that reduces muscle strength. Light stretching after warming up.

To gain flexability you MUST hold the position for 30-120 seconds. 2 minutes is best starting out with a constant stretch then pushing it farther every 20 seconds or so. Push without pain, It's called Stretching, not tearing. My hamstring are more flexable now at age 40 then I was at 30 because my PT taught me proper stretching for flexability.

Quick 10-20 second stretches may be work in warm ups but won't gain flexability.

I've been told (and it seems to work) to warm up (skate around, jump rope etc) first, then strech before the game. Don't do deep stretching before the game cold then go on the ice. that reduces muscle strength. Light stretching after warming up.

What do recomend would be the best way to stretch hamstrings the right way.

^^^ yeah, before you do any weight lifting or stretching you should warm up first. It helps avoid injury and it's more effective.

I've been told (and it seems to work) to warm up (skate around, jump rope etc) first, then strech before the game. Don't do deep stretching before the game cold then go on the ice. that reduces muscle strength.  Light stretching after warming up.

What do recomend would be the best way to stretch hamstrings the right way.

if your hamstrings are really stiff like mine were:

Here is what the PT gave me.

Look at figure 4 on this website:

http://www.nismat.org/ptcor/ham/

Keep leg straight. Even if you have to start out with your butt farther away at first.

Every 20 seconds make your toes point more towards your face. That really stretches you out. Gradually move butt closer to door. You should feel the stretch but not pain. Once a day (not before a game though) you should feel improvement if you are stretching once a day by the first week or two.